• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mind Mapping Software For Mac

I have been dickering around with the idea of mind mapping for some time now. Kept putting it off, writing by the seat of my pants. Managed to get to the middle of chapter five and realized the details I had been holding in my head had become completely unmanageable.

My solution was to take a serious look at mind mapping for authors. It wasn't as intimidating as I had feared. So I decided to embark on a search for a free software solution. I live on a disability check and there's no money to spare for writing tools. Not only did it have to be free, but it also needed to be feature rich and run on my ancient MacBook Pro.

What I came up with was a mind mapping app known as Junkyard. It is free, fully functioning and more than adequate for mind mapping for authors. It may not be as slick as some of the paid versions, but it works well and is very easy to get the hang of.

There is a paid version, but that only removes some ads asking you to consider buying. These don't interfere with the functionality at all. I will probably at some point purchase the app. The price is very reasonable and I like to support programmers who are so generous with their creations. But can use it as long a you like for free.

Get it from the Apple App Store. You can learn more by visiting the developer's homepage.

Now that I've started mind mapping I can see so many writing related uses for it. Things like book outlining, character building, world building, scene outlining, chapter outlining and so much more.

Makes me feel almost organized. It's a perfect fit for my creatively splintered A.D.D. mind.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I assume 'mind mapping' = 'outline'

Outlines come in useful, especially with novel length stories.

For my novels, I start with a short outline: 2-5 sentences for each chapter, each sentence describing a scene. (I envision scenes as 'mental movie clips' which I then write out.) That same file includes a list of the main characters and locations - mostly to keep the names straight. Apart from that, I have some generic notes left over from the AD&D days and maps. Lots of maps. A few years back, I had to go and compile genealogies for a couple of the more prominent families, which I found surreal.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Ive never used mind mapping technique, least not in a formal way. For my last story i had felt at times that it could have useful but i plowed ahead without and in retrospect i am not sure it would have mattered if i did.

i would be interested to see a mind map some of my characters might come up with. Which is not the same as making it myself.

i suspect Luis could benefit from this. Seems like he is mind mapping already.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
And it looks like it is still being developed and updated. Too often I see what looks like great software and then notice the last update was 5+ years ago.

And it looks like it is still being developed and updated. Too often I see what looks like great software and then notice the last update was 5+ years ago.
I know what you mean. Far too much software languishes on a forgotten webpage or app provider, ignored by their developers. Happily Junkyard is still being updated and I am finding it very useful. Somehow mind mapping lends itself very well to the convoluted and scattered mess that is my brain.

Ive never used mind mapping technique, least not in a formal way. For my last story i had felt at times that it could have useful but i plowed ahead without and in retrospect i am not sure it would have mattered if i did.

i would be interested to see a mind map some of my characters might come up with. Which is not the same as making it myself.

i suspect Luis could benefit from this. Seems like he is mind mapping already.
Everyone has to go with what works for them. I guess I'm finding this so helpful because my scattered brain is like confetti filled fireworks. I light the creative fuse and soon stuff is flying everywhere all at once, faster than I track it.

Mind mapping helps put the all the different types of confetti where they belong. Then I can easily move them around, rearrange them, add to them, remove stuff I don't really need, even add online links, images, wiki pages or any bits and bobs I might fancy.