• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My Magic

gowph3ar

Troubadour
In my story i'm going with two different types of magic. Well maybe more. Thoughts?

First Aether magic . I would attribute this to be force like. Aether is the hidden element that binds all tangible things together. It's based off of weight vs weight ratios. If I weigh 180 pounds and this knife weighs one pound and I link my Aether to it and push it will speed away at a difference of weight. That is from a combat use. Being a master of Aether also allow you to see "lines" that connect all tangible things together. If you are really good you can filter these lines and determine where things are. It is easy to seperate moving objects from stationary objects but more difficult once you have done that to seperate objects to size and such. How many objects you can filter at a time depends on how many sections you can partition your mind into. If I wanted to see all the sand on the beach and move it individually I would need to seperate my mind into as many grains of sand as I want to pull. Which wouldn't be very many. but if I wanted to connect my Aether to a knife I would only need my one mind. Two knives three and etc.

Alter magic is the other - Alter magic is an awareness as much as it is the manipulation of intangible things. Intangible things mean you cannot touch them, however in my story it does not mean they cannot touch you. The wind would be one, also light and shadow. Alter isn't reaching out and grabbing something for your use. Its knowing something and accepting it. Its inviting it to you and letting it flow through you. You are more of a conduit for intangible things. If I invite the wind to flow around me at high speeds which ends up thrashing my opponent well all the better, perhaps I ask the shadow to rest on me and hide me or the light of the moon to shine down a dark hallway. I am not controlling it or grasping it and pushing it there and there is no gaurentee it will come to me. Alter Magic is the highest form of magic and is far above Aether magic. Most of the Masters of Aether are novices in Alter. You cannot split your mind for Alter because the mind you use for Aether would not be enough to control the Alter. You need your other mind, your subconcious mind to control the Alter because it is more expansive and less technical. Your calculating brain could never understand the Alter side of the worlds.

Then there is Worldwalking. World walking is the ability to see the Aether lines that bind planets together and then use your Alter to move yourself from one to the other via space and time.

Hopefully I can work out the magic system completely and it will make total sense. To me atleast.

Nobby

Sage
Don't take this the wrong way but are your first two titles the right way around, I always consider (a)ether as being intangible and alter as... well altering a thing- the trajectory of a knife, the velocity of an arrow...and half of your first 'school' fits better in the second, as you've explained it...

I do love the idea that you have to splinter your mind (or soul, or whatever), however what happens if part of your soul doesn't want to come back from its grand voyage of creating giant sandstorms...does the *real* you suffer the loss or is the downside only that you accidentally spawned annoying echoes of yourself all over reality? They may be in your head, in a way, but could they develop their own agenda?

gowph3ar

Troubadour
Hmm I never thought of it that way I might have the backwards after all. As for the Splitting of the Mind thing yes, sometimes things go wrong. Some people crack and go insane. It was said the first user named Haakon could split his mind six-thousand ways. He was called The Sage of the Six-thousand Minds. Since then none have even come close to this.. well so far ;).

My description of Aether is Intangible itself. It just connects all the tangible things together. But may I might switch them.