• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My Thoughts on the Lord of the Rings A place to talk about this classic >^.^<

srg

Scribe
The books may not be a trilogy, but I think it would be accurate to classify the movies as a trilogy.

@ Midnight: My memory of when each movie begins and ends is fuzzy. I had thought that the scene I described (Gandalf chasing away the Nazgul who are attacking the Gondorians, who are fleeing Osgiliath) was in the Return of the King. I could very well be wrong.

Wasn't Gandolph it was the ghosts that owed Gondor a favor that chased and killed the invading army

srg

Scribe
I think he's referring to the scene where Gandalf shines a beam of white light toward the attacking Nazgul to allow the retreating Gondor army safe passage back to Minas Tirith (pretty sure I spelled that wrong?).

I *think* that scene is at the end of TTT. Said army is beaten pretty bad in RotK.

The mercenary / ghost army comes much later, in RotK.

myrddin173

Maester
All of the scenes in Minas Tirith are in RotK, Gandalf and Pippin don't arrive there until part way into the movie.

I also believed Lotr was a trilogy until I opened my uncle's copy which at the begining of the Fellowship as a Note on the Text. The first paragraph states: "The Lord of the Rings is often erroneously called a trilogy, when it is in fact a single novel, consisting of six books plus appendices, sometimes published in three volumes."

So, technically speaking wouldn't that make the LoTR a sextet as it is 6 books? I know why "they" consider it a triology, but I've really only ever considered it The Lord of the Rings, period. I never really considered it to be three separate books regardless of how they get published.

I think he's referring to the scene where Gandalf shines a beam of white light toward the attacking Nazgul to allow the retreating Gondor army safe passage back to Minas Tirith (pretty sure I spelled that wrong?).

I *think* that scene is at the end of TTT. Said army is beaten pretty bad in RotK.

The mercenary / ghost army comes much later, in RotK.

This is Return of the King because I think it's when Faramir is rescued.

Last edited: