• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Name for Magic Users

Lycan999

Minstrel
It seems I have run into a wall. I have created a system of 15 elements for my world and am looking for terms for each of the magic users (I call them mages) that specialize in each of the elements and to generalize the field of that element. A few of them I have found terms for and others I have ideas, but a few I am clueless. Here are the elements:

Physical elements:

Air-

Water- Hydromancer

Fire- Pryomancer

Earth- Geomancer

Nature-

Darkness-

Energy-

Metal-

Ice-

Light- Photomancer

Astral Elements:

Space-

Time- Chronomancer

Spirit-

Luck/Destiny-

Mind-

The one I am having the most trouble with is metal, I have tried throwing together some Latin and other languages but nothing sounds right. If you have any ideas please say. Thanks in advance!

Scribble

Archmage
Air-Aeromancer

Water- Hydromancer

Fire- Pryomancer

Earth- Geomancer

Nature-naturomancer

Darkness-Tenebromancer

Energy-alacritomancer (alacritas, a latin translation for energy)

Metal-metallimancer

Ice-glaciomancer

Light- Photomancer

Astral Elements:

Space-spatiomancer

Time- Chronomancer

Spirit-spiritomancer

Luck/Destiny-fortunomancer

Mind-neuromancer or... psychomancer

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Hmmm. Here are some ideas, continuing with the Greek theme:

Air: Aeromancer

Darkness: Skotomancer

Ice: Pagomancer, cryomancer

Hope that helps. :)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'll just copy what scribble wrote and supply my own suggestions where I have some.

Air-Aeromancer

Water- Hydromancer

Fire- Pryomancer

Earth- Geomancer

Nature- ecomancer

Darkness- noctomancer (from night)

Energy- joulist

Metal- ferromancer

Ice- glaciomancer

Light- Photomancer

Astral Elements:

Space- spatiomancer[/B]

Time- Chronomancer

Spirit- priest

Luck/Destiny-randomancer

Mind- neuromancer :D

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Ferro is just iron, of course. You're not going to get much help from other languages, mainly because "metal" is an abstraction. French, German, Latin, all were more likely to name specific metals. So, alas, 'metallomancer' is in fact about the most correct name you'll get. There's actually a word, in German at least, 'metallurge', but that breaks your '-mancer' pattern and anyway doesn't gain you much.

How about Masters of Metal. What? :)

TrustMeImRudy

Troubadour
To start, you know mancy comes from the greek word for divination? Necromancers were summoners of spirits who used those spirits to divine the future. Pyromancer saw the future in the flames. So this is a link to a list of -mancers used in real life at some point. Here's my best bets:

Air-Aeromancer this is the one I think we all thought of.

Water- Hydromancer

Fire- Pryomancer

Earth- Geomancer

Nature- Anthomancer: Divination via flowers or Phylomancer, by leaves or Xylomancer, by wood.

Darkness- Atermancer (Gloomy, Sordid, Dark-Colored) or Niximancer (night) both words from latin or greek.

Energy- Brontomancy (divination via thunder) or Ceraunomancy (thunder and lightning)

Metal- Ferromancer sounded best to me as well since I couldnt any on metals in general.

Ice- Cryomancer from ice

Light- Photomancer

Astral Elements:

Space- Astromancer

Time- Chronomancer

Spirit- Necromancer

Luck/Destiny- Cleromancer was fortune-telling by randomness, like tossing dice, throwing and then reading beans, etc.

Mind-Neuromancer feels right.

Firekeeper

Troubadour
Couple of questions. First, earth and nature are very similar. Could they be condenced into one, or do you mean something like the earth mancers control elements in nature, such as rock and soil, while nature mancers have power over animals/trees? If so, I'd suggest:

Earth- Geomancer (like Scribble says at top)

Nature- Zoomancer or something having to do with animals (as zoology is the study of them)

Darkness- Noctomancer or shadowmancer

Spirit- Astralmancer

...and I really, really love neuromancer for the mind.

Lycan999

Minstrel
(Sorry for taking so long to respond)

To reply to Firekeeper I should have been more clear but you got it right, earth is things like rock and soil and nature is plants and animals. Out of the ones I have read I kind of like ecomancer the best for nature. For the others I agree with TrustMeImRudy, ferromancer seems the best solution to the metal problem. (By the way I did know about the divination roots of the -mancer suffix, thanks for the link.) Aeromancer seems to be unanimous and now that I think of it I have heard that before, also cryomancer, tenebromancer, and astromancer seem right. Slightly modifying Scribble's I think I will use aelectromancer for energy. Spirit had me perplexed for a while but necromancer seems best. I also love neuromancer. Luck and destiny also were difficult but I finally came up with colthomancery, loosely based off of the name of one of the Greek fates.

Lycan999

Minstrel
To sum it up I put together a final list.

Physical Elements:

Air-Aeromancer

Water-Hydromancer

Fire-Pryomancer

Earth-Geomancer

Nature-Ecomancer

Darkness-Tenebromancer

Energy-Aelectromancer

Ice-Cryomancer

Light-Photomancer

Astral Elements:

Space-Astromancer

Time-Chronomancer

Spirit-Necromancer

Fate-Colthomancer

Mind-Neuromancer

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
In my works I label any sentient being that wields magic in some way as a weaver or a caller. I always liked the idea of people working with magic rather than commanding it. Also I think it has a kind of primal or shamanistic tone to it. Just some food for thought. Not sure if you're going for that kind of tone for your mages, but you could change up their titles for certain elements. You can also find a synonym for the element to give it a little more originality, but it looks like you have that covered.

So if I applied this to your list, you'd have titles such as:

Windweaver
Flameweaver
Tidecaller
Earthcaller
Lightweaver
Nethermancer

Have fun :p

Queshire

Auror
My inner hipster doesn't like whatever-mancy due to how often its used. Personally I would only use mancy if I was twisting it into the roots as divination, like having necromancy focus on getting answers from the dead instead of all the zombies and skeletons and stuff.

Recaferona

Acolyte
Not a big fan of -mancy either, but I do love necromancy. Yet there are many good option of -mancy that other user had posted that I think is best. so here's my attempt:

Physical Elements:

Air- Windcaller

Water-Hydromancer

Fire-Pryomancer

Earth-Geomancer

Nature- Biomagi/ Biomagus

Darkness-Warlock

Energy-Sorcerer

Ice-Cryomancer

Astral Elements:

Space- Astralist/Astraler/Astromancer

Time-Chronomancer

Spirit-Necromancer

Fate-Colthomancer or Destiny Bender

Mind-Neuromancer or Psychic

Devon Meyer

Tenebromancer is technically correct for a shadow mancer, but so is Umbramancer, which I see used more often and sounds cooler to me haha.

Donno

Air- aeromancer

Water- Hydromancer

Fire- Pryomancer

Earth- terramancer

Nature- herbomancer

Darkness- umbramancer

Energy- electromancer

Metal- geomancer

Ice- cryomancer

Light- Photomancer

Astral Elements:

Space- Choromancer

Time- Chronomancer

Spirit- divimancer

Luck/Destiny- pepromancer

Mind- teleomancer

Donno

Air- aeromancer

Water- Hydromancer

Fire- Pryomancer

Earth- terramancer

Nature- herbomancer

Darkness- umbramancer

Energy- electromancer

Metal- geomancer

Ice- cryomancer

Light- Photomancer

Astral Elements:

Space- Choromancer

Time- Chronomancer

Spirit- divimancer

Luck/Destiny- pepromancer

Mind- teleomancer
You could also have earth magic as geomancy and metal magic as ferromancy, but I much prefer it this way