• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Names of domesticated fantasy creatures?

Shreddies

Troubadour
I always thought it was odd in games that use Phoenix Down (or Ash, or Pinions) that you could find these items in almost every store you went to (and they're relatively cheap to boot). So I started imagining farms where Phoenixes were kept as poultry, and have been raised that way for so long that they hardly resemble their wild counterparts anymore. (I picture them as brilliant red, somewhat condescending, chubby chickens)

Problem is I'm at a loss as to what to call them. I wanted to distinguish them from their original breed in more than just appearance.

Any ideas?

Dwarf Phoenix seems nice as well, it implies its relation to Phoenix while asserting it is a different sub/species.
But Denny looks good as well.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
They can be combined as well. Dwarf Phoenix would be the actual name but Denny is what the average person calls them as it's easier to say.

Shreddies

Troubadour
They can be combined as well. Dwarf Phoenix would be the actual name but Denny is what the average person calls them as it's easier to say.

Yeah, I guess I was really over thinking it. Thanks. :)

Although, wouldn't 'Dwarf' Phoenix sound a bit off-color if there were dwarves in universe?

Queshire

Istar
When thinking of small versions of animals, I tend to think of pygmy over Dwarf, but that's just me personally. Alliteration with Pygmy Phoenix as well.

You know, when I clicked on this thread I thought it'd just be talking about the domestication of fantasy creatures in general, not a specific question. XP

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
I'm going to put my two cents' worth in with the others on this one. Dennies for the common name sounds appropriate, even if their species name is more technical. (And to be honest, I thought the same thing as Queshire.)

Shreddies

Troubadour
When thinking of small versions of animals, I tend to think of pygmy over Dwarf, but that's just me personally. Alliteration with Pygmy Phoenix as well.

You know, when I clicked on this thread I thought it'd just be talking about the domestication of fantasy creatures in general, not a specific question. XP

Thanks for the input. Pygmy sounds far more natural to me.

Is there a way to change the thread's title?