• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Naming a Fantasy World

Tom

Istar
My main world is named Issadai, a word which means "beautiful place" in one of the languages I've invented for it. I've also nicknamed it "Terra Alta" in my notes, because it's an earth-like planet with similar ecosystems and life-forms. One of its old names was Rondenne, an invented name that meant something like "many lakes". That name had to do with the fact that this world is riddled with lakes from an ancient glacial age, much like most of Upstate New York.

I call my main country Andalus. Couldn't tell you why though. When I started writing fantasy five or six years ago, that name sort of came to me. The book has gone through many rewrites and revisions, and I've changed the map of my country millions of times, but I've still stuck with the name.

Fun fact: Andalus is actually a font on Microsoft Word. Found that out a year ago. I was pleasantly surprised.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I call my main country Andalus. Couldn't tell you why though. When I started writing fantasy five or six years ago, that name sort of came to me. The book has gone through many rewrites and revisions, and I've changed the map of my country millions of times, but I've still stuck with the name.

Fun fact: Andalus is actually a font on Microsoft Word. Found that out a year ago. I was pleasantly surprised.

It's also the arabian name for the hispanian peninsula.

When we are talking about world names are we talking about specific regions, like North America, or are we talking about the planet name? Middle Earth for example is just a certain part of the world, a region.

We really don't have a specific name for our "world" other than Earth.

I have always struggled with names, spending hours, days even on finishing and reiterating all the sounds and spellings and etymologies. Over the course of three days, I came up with something I took a real liking to, and that would be Harthe. I got it from messing with the word hearth, meaning the area or floor before a fireplace. There is another definition for the word hearth though, that being home, or a symbol for home. What better symbol for home than one's own world? Also, the name Harthe, in some ways, is very similar to the word Earth - the [th] sounds, having one syllable; and both of them contain the exact same roster of letters.

Vadosity

Scribe
It is an issue that I haven't named my world at all in my main WIP? I haven't even named the heros village. :eek: