• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano 2016 Motivation and Confession Thread

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I spent part of my morning moving sentences around to squeeze a little more impact from the beginning of my scene. So...no words, just better sentences.

:spin:

Lack Luster is my progress. 92 words and I started just today, November 2nd. Hopefully i get to write more this evening and lower my word count to finish all 50,000 words on time. I think my Novel may take more than 50,000 words though so I may try to write closer to 24,000 or 25,000 per day. Whenever possible that isXD I will be posting excerpts soon when I've finished a considerable portion!

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I seem to do my best writing in the evenings, but I'm going to have to figure something out with my kid. It took me almost three hours last night to do my 1700 words, and I like to be in bed by ten pm... so it may mean hubs is putting the kids to bed this month lol.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Aaagh. I'm 3159 words into my project and I'm getting stalled. I need my MC's love interest to separate (temporarily) from the MC and villain, but she doesn't want to leave the MC in the villain's clutches now that she knows hints of what's going on between them. Grrr. Even if I have her vanish for her own safety's sake, she'd want to bring the MC with her, and that won't work. Not yet, anyway.

Tom

Istar
As anticipated, I didn't get a chance to write at school today. Ended up working furiously on that design project and didn't finish it in time for critique. Bleh. I am so tired....I don't want to write, but I'm trying to guilt myself into it...

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Good day today. Ending on a total count of just above 5,900 words. That's with both today and yesterday off from work though, so it's not quite as much as I'd hope for (I'd have wanted to be at 6k words but the scene ended and I don't have the energy to statt a new one).

What's positive is that I've come to terms with some of the doubts I had yesterday. I'm more positive to the way I've chosen to tell this story and I think it might work out really well. Eager to get back to it tomorrow, which I also have off. Now though, time to sleep.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Aaagh. I'm 3159 words into my project and I'm getting stalled. I need my MC's love interest to separate (temporarily) from the MC and villain, but she doesn't want to leave the MC in the villain's clutches now that she knows hints of what's going on between them. Grrr. Even if I have her vanish for her own safety's sake, she'd want to bring the MC with her, and that won't work. Not yet, anyway.

MC's love interest gets abducted by an amorous third party?

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Pushed up a little over 4300 today. I'm in the lull before the storm right now which is something that I don't thin I do particularly well with. It didn't help that I spread my writing out so that I couldn't really build up a good rhythm but I got it done and I'm where I want to be!

Tom

Istar
Today I wrote over 1300 words. Not bad, especially considering that I didn't have a chance to start until about 8 PM. It's not my daily goal, but I'm still happy with it. School is just kicking my ass this week, man.

Gribba

Troubadour
No writing done today.
I am having second thoughts about the story I began to write, I am leaning towards a different story at the moment. :D

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
800 words tonight, 1400 total. Maybe halfway through the first chapter. I suppose that's an improvement, though my enthusiasm remains near zero.

I tell myself the more I write now, the more I'll have to work with come rewrite time.

I also tell myself that I managed to overcome major plot and timeline issues with each of the previous five novellas in this series.

But I really do not want to be working on this story come Christmas.

Nimue

Auror
I've been writing, beat my goals so far. October warmed things up for me. Somewhat complicated by the fact that I'm diverting attention and words into another story, a completely indulgent scrap I've had going for a while with no intention of it ever becoming something other than cathartic drama. Either way, I'm writing, but in that itchy, compulsive way, without much optimism or satisfaction in my work.

I love my little story. I hate my habits. I don't know that posting daily about those habits would do anything but drive that in. Don't want to share snippets, because it's all raw as batter. Certainly don't want to share word counts, as my word counts are shit and always have been. Faced with something like this, my analytic brain immediately draws a graph with a line labeled "Expected Output" and one of those piddling lines along the x-axis labeled "You Are Here". I suppose I'm doubting whether this is really the activity for me at all. But there seems to be some current of motivation in it, just having a start and end point. I'm writing, and that's all I really care about. *shrug*

C

Chessie

Nimue, I'm glad to see you posting here. It's great that you're writing and that's really all that matters. Crappy batter is better than no batter, right? Hugs.

Well, I'm finally back in AK. It's so good to be home in the cool mountain air with my cats and my bed. Sigh. However, I didn't get to finish redoing my outline yesterday while on the plane. I did watch some seriously good movies on that 15 hour trip that's actually helped me unkink some things in my brain.

Anyway, movies don't put words on paper. My goal today is to redo my outline and put in 2k. Totally doable. I've decided that the story isn't working for me in certain ways and I can't figure out how to connect other things. For the sake of time and story, I'm redoing the theme and cutting out the whole reincarnation part of the story. I'm really struggling with it in a familiar way...ie...that idea isn't meant for this story. I'm going for simple and since fantasy romance is all about dudes that aren't fully human, I've got a serious way in here so it'll all work out. So...that's how I'm doing for now.

Tom

Istar
YES! I've got a whole hour of free time during common hour! (Pretty much a miracle.) I'm going to listen to Hamilton while I write today--I'm working on Aeyu's introduction, and as I've developed her character she's become something of an Alexander Hamilton. Ambitious, brash, somewhat selfish, she knows what she wants in life and is determined to surmount any challenge that gets in her way. My Shot, especially, seems like an Aeyu song.