• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NanoWrimo is coming ...

We'd had a discussion about throughlines not too far back, I think maybe before you returned to MS: Throughlines.

It's what the story is "About," capital "A." Everything else introduced in the story will be attached to that and circle that, to serve the throughline, although some things more obviously so and others maybe less obviously (for the reader) until later.

You can also think about the promise you make to the reader early in the story, a promise that you fulfill by the end of the story. So it's also related to the principle conflict and the primary hook.

Nimue

Auror
I'm sorry, Nimue. Reading all of that just made me tired. Plotting that heavily seems like a chore. To me. If it helps you, then it helps you. I just hope you're able to get some story out of November.
To be honest, the plotting has been wonderful. It’s...freeing, to be able to visit these scenes and put them together without being concerned with prose at the same time. The fact that having a blue day stood out to me, when I was deeply negative for most of the sort-of-pantsed rough draft, says something. I think part of it is that I slowed down and am struggling with some plot points or lack thereof, but I believe this is the stickiest part of the story. It’ll feel good to have it worked out.

Certainly, it would be nice if I could just sit down and write straight through. But every time I’ve tried to do that the result has been disappointing. It’s kind of just who I am. I don’t read in volume either, but re-read a few beloved books, and in the same way I go over my stories, deepening and polishing them.

Fact is, I don’t know how I write a novel. Haven’t done it yet. This time I’m trying something different, and leaning on structure and outlining. If that can see me to the end of this story, I don’t care how slow and inefficient it is.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Planning to write some short stories in November. I won't be participating in the actual NaNoWriMo thingy though. Maybe next year.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
To be honest, the plotting has been wonderful. It’s...freeing, to be able to visit these scenes and put them together without being concerned with prose at the same time. The fact that having a blue day stood out to me, when I was deeply negative for most of the sort-of-pantsed rough draft, says something. I think part of it is that I slowed down and am struggling with some plot points or lack thereof, but I believe this is the stickiest part of the story. It’ll feel good to have it worked out.

Certainly, it would be nice if I could just sit down and write straight through. But every time I’ve tried to do that the result has been disappointing. It’s kind of just who I am. I don’t read in volume either, but re-read a few beloved books, and in the same way I go over my stories, deepening and polishing them.

Fact is, I don’t know how I write a novel. Haven’t done it yet. This time I’m trying something different, and leaning on structure and outlining. If that can see me to the end of this story, I don’t care how slow and inefficient it is.
I don't recall having said it was slow and inefficient. Different strokes. :)

Well...given that it's NaNo time tomorrow I'll start a new thread unless someone else wants to. I've decided to go with my 20th century romance and put my WIP aside for November. Truth is, its been a year since I published book 1 of the historical series and I haven't published anything to that particular audience since June. -_-

Rkcapps

Sage
Well, in my Timezone NaNoWriMo has kicked off, my lead up to it went well. Here's to building the momentum! Good luck with everything!

Nimue

Auror
I don't recall having said it was slow and inefficient. Different strokes. :)
Oh no, that’s more of a general statement against my own worries. Talking to myself...

A bit nervous about tonight. But I did get new names put together, which makes the world feel more fleshed-out. Followed my original instinct and skewed more Welsh than Irish. The beginning of this story has changed a great deal, and I’m eager to dig into it with a better understanding of world, plot, and character. Hopefully I can start a decent writing habit.

I won NaNoWriMo once. That's enough for me to prove I can. I'm in the editing phase on my WIP, and feeling in the zone, so I don't want to quit that to start something for NaNo. I have the goal of editing at least one chapter every evening after work until I'm done, and at least three chapters every weekend day. With chapters being on the average 1400 words (there are 83 chapters), the goal is attainable. I've got 61 chapters to go, so on the above schedule, I'll finish before Christmas. I'm hoping to beat my goal and finish before December. So that's my version of NaNo this year. Good luck to all with their NaNo quests!