• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need help naming fighting styles

I have a story idea about 2 twin elves, Keruano (the male) and Imrodel (the female). they were taken from their widow mother at a young age by some Elven monks who teach them magic and an ancient style of martial arts. Imrodel is the magic user although she carries a spear for close encounters and such while Kerauno, (massive in size for an elf or even by human standards) is the main melee and wields a solid metal ball attached to a chain which is connected to his shoulder (he wraps it around his wrist and arm).
I am usually pretty good at conjuring up names but i'm just lost when it comes to this one i guess. But anyway to get to my point I don't have a name for their martial art. Any help?

arbiter117

Minstrel
A ball attached to his shoulder area sounds painful if that ball were thrown...
you could call it Tohoku (that's the Japan 2011 earthquake's name) or something like that, punch it up a bit.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Yeah I like naming things with some sort of reference. I don't know how you feel about that. I don't mean a literal translation, of course, because that just gets corny, but maybe you could look at the other names you've selected for your world or culture, and sort of stick to something similar.

Think about something similar, for example, if the attacks are supposedly based off of a whirling movement (let's just say, I can't imagine how his weapon works) then maybe think of the word whirlwind... then look that up in a few different languages and maybe change a couple letters. (sustantivo-Spanish, redemoinho de vento- Portuguese, Tsumujikaze- Japanese, Vindbylur- Icelandic). Any of that sound sort of Elfish? At least if you have it based loosely in something, you can remember what "feel" you are giving to the style. It might help you be consistent when writing it. Hope that gives you some ideas (better than my quick examples).

arbiter117

Minstrel
Ya the ball and chain thing sounds a lot like there will be a lot of smashing and mashing, so you could reference that, or you could reference how he looks when fighting, such as the whirlwind.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Martial arts in Japan often end with the suffix "-jutsu." Maybe find a foreign word for the weapons they use and add your own suffix to them? If you're adding more styles later, it might be helpful.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
A ball attached to his shoulder area sounds painful if that ball were thrown...
you could call it Tohoku (that's the Japan 2011 earthquake's name) or something like that, punch it up a bit.

Actually, Tohoku is the name of a whole region, not an earthquake's name. I used to live there.

You can use -do as well. There are many martial arts that end with -do. Kendo, judo, kyudo, etc. That could possibly work as well.