• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need naming help

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
With the exception of "life energy," the types of mages are based on types of energy - kinetic, potential, electrical, thermal, chemical, etc.

While I'm getting help from the community, any ideas on how to refer to actually using magic? I've used the analogy of the mage being connected to the magic source (an ocean of power) via a tunnel. The mage needs to "access the source" in order to prepare to let the magical energy flow to do his will. I'm not liking using "access the source" a bunch of times. Any ideas for synonyms?

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Hmmm...

'access the source'

'tap the font'

'feel the energy'

'open to the power'

'conjure'

'summon'

'invoke'

'reach or tap the fountainhead'

Graylorne

Archmage
But why would you use it every time? If you explain it once how the mage has to access the source, and repeat it later for the slower readers :), shouldn't that be enough? You're not telling everybody that you connect to the electrical current every time you're drilling a hole in your wall?

To vary you can say something like: 'He grabbed* some mana and kneaded it into a fire ball.' The rest I'd leave to the imagination of the reader.
* or: he tapped himself some mana etc.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
But why would you use it every time? If you explain it once how the mage has to access the source, and repeat it later for the slower readers :), shouldn't that be enough? You're not telling everybody that you connect to the electrical current every time you're drilling a hole in your wall?

To vary you can say something like: 'He grabbed* some mana and kneaded it into a fire ball.' The rest I'd leave to the imagination of the reader.
* or: he tapped himself some mana etc.

I'm editing the chapter now where he's learning to use magic, and I find myself needed to have him access the magic source a lot. Later in the book, he's pretty much stays connected. Until it reaches that point, I need to show him doing it. Your suggestions might work. I'll think on it. Thanks for the comments!

Caliburn

Here are some others in addition to ThinkerX's suggestions:
Channel, siphon, joining, bonding, merge, immerse, draw, tether, induct, accession, funnel, evocation, attune, focus, fathom, divine, probe, bind.

Since you referred to it as an "ocean" of power, marine or nautical terminology might be particularly effective, although I can find no useful examples myself.

"Dowsing" was a kind of divination usually associated with trying to find water below ground (using a divining rod, also called a dowsing rod). Its also assosciated with other things like finding metals, gemstones and magical leylines.

Lastly, just a random idea off the top of my head. Not sure if it fits with what you are doing but it might spark something:
Sonarite - A kind of wizard who communicates with the ocean of power to create magic. Rather than summon the power directly, they send messages into the 'deeps' which reverberate back in various ways to create magic effects.

Hope that helps :)