• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

new girl

draken

Dreamer
hi just introducing myself. i just finished my first novel and am exploring options. not sure what to do next. :confused:

Xaysai

Inkling
hi just introducing myself. i just finished my first novel and am exploring options. not sure what to do next. :confused:

Welcome to Mythic Scribes, I hope you find it as helpful as I have!

Just finished your first novel? That's fantastic!

Can we get a link to your work, or might you share some of your writing in the Showcase?

draken

Dreamer
i've gotten feed back recently from friends and family and I even posted my prologue on this websites showcase....it appears my grammer is awful and no one likes my story. guess this writing thing was a bad idea.

SeverinR

Vala
First thing to learn when writing,
The first draft is never perfect.
Sometimes the first story is a failure.

Writing is an artwork, You don't expect to pick up a guitar and be a superstar with the first strum.
The only way to improve, is to write. Read, write, review, research, rinse and repeat.

My next suggestion, write for your enjoyment, not for fortune or glory.
If you write for fortune or glory, you will fail alot of the time.
If you write for your enjoyment you almost never fail, and you are getting better.

i've gotten feed back recently from friends and family and I even posted my prologue on this websites showcase....it appears my grammer is awful and no one likes my story. guess this writing thing was a bad idea.

I agree with Severin, writing is like learning an instrument, you have to put in hundreds of hours, and so rise from nothing to everything. It's a sad truth that any writer's first book is very unlikely to get published. It's just part of the development process. If the idea of being a writer appeals to you please don't give up on it. If you can take onboard what you're weaknesses are, and what you've got to work with, then you'll get yourself on the path of progression.

draken

Dreamer
Problem is i've been writing for years ever since I was very young. I did write another book a couple of years ago and I agree that first book was beyond awful and I totally abandoned the whole story. I thought this second story was better., I even imagined it to be quite good as its something I would love to read. I love writing. I love the stories that run around my head. I just don't seem to have the talent. I did buy a writing course online sort of a last ditch attempt to prove them wrong. that's a bit silly don't you think.

dhrichards

Dreamer
Hi Draken
Have you considered working with (if you have the resources) an editor from say eLance? They might help with grammar etc. Or take the course (or do both)
It's a craft and lord knows I am still working on it....
Dave

teacup

Auror
Hey, and welcome.
I only just joined this forum when I was very nearly done with my first draft of my novel. I soon learned that I was writing terribly, and about 4 months later I'd say I've improved immensely from how I was before, all thanks to this forum.
If you enjoy writing and still want to write, then stick it out. Learn the rules of writing and when to break them, and grammar and spelling can always be edited as you go. You can now use your first draft as a sort of outline, as I am doing, and change things here and there when you think it's right.

If you really do enjoy writing, keep at it. Post excerpts on here in showcase and see the advice given, and try rewriting it. That's what I've done.

If people don't like the story, ask them why. Find out what parts they don't like, and why, and figure out how to fix it. I'm sure that with enough practice and skill near any story can be made good.

Good luck, and most of all, just have fun.

Nihal

Vala
Adding to what was already said:

If your beta readers were able to point out some weaknesses the least you can do is to work on them. E.g. grammar: The book can be edited and everything, but there is no way you can't benefit from mastering grammar. You'll eventually increase your vocabulary and you'll have more tools to work with. Don't shy away from something that will help you.

Lamenting won't get you anywhere. I'm sounding like a jerk, but that's the truth. In my eyes talent is overrated, it's not magical ability that will solve all your problems; actively working on honing your skill is what will do the trick.

Repeatedly doing something over years is no guarantee of mastering it. Many factors come into play there: When we are young we don't tend to be as critical nor mature enough to be able to evaluate our own work. We may lack the discipline to train or simply disregard advices, believing we're above from them. We may not get out of our comfort zone. We may not be as good observers as we are when we grow older.

Spending years repeating the same errors won't get you too far, I say this based on my own experience. My area is a bit different, yet the effect is the same: I only started to noticeably improve when I started to look at my area with different eyes, with a different mindset and learned to observe and contemplate details that previously flew right over my head. Before I looked for meaningless formulas, then I started to look for reasons why something was done in some way.

So, my tips are: Observe everything, question everything. "Why did this author write this scene this way? What effect did it have on me? Why did the hold back this information? What effect did it have on me? Why did he mention this place? What effect did it have on me? Why is this sentence so long? What effect did it have on me? Why chapter so short? What effect did it have on me? What made me like this character so much?". Expand it, observe our world as well.

You've reached a point where you became aware that what you've been doing so far is not working as intended. Try new processes. Try new training strategies. Change and experiment, find a comfortable way to work. If you really love writing don't give up because that's what will set you apart from other aspirant-writers.

Also, the learning process is not linear. Sometimes you'll experience jumps, moments of enlightenment, others you'll feel like like a slug, you're simply not improving fast enough. That's okay, that's natural.

Don't panic.

Last edited:

draken

Dreamer
i've had my grammer checked by an english teacher and she can't see what they're complaining about. thanks for the advice. good luck with your work.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
i've had my grammer checked by an english teacher and she can't see what they're complaining about. thanks for the advice. good luck with your work.

Just because someone on an internet site doesn't like what you're doing or has complaints about it doesn't mean they are correct. If you've considered the comments and think they are off-base, and you have a different vision for your story, stick with your instincts.

SeverinR

Vala
You are facing setbacks.
One question, have you been living and breathing writing?
Have you been to other writing websites? (No, this one is the best, Feline overlord be merciful!)
Have you looked at other writers problems?

I know you're discouraged. Hang around, read the questions, ask questions, watch for accomplished authors telling how they did it. Basically, look for ways to improve, to see things from a different angle, how to tell the same story better.
I know I am better then I was before I started coming here.
Don't give up.

LIke I said before, write for your enjoyment, then look for ways to make people enjoy what you wrote for your enjoyment.
in other words:
Step one-write for your enjoyment, you've done that. You can do that forever, and no one else has to like it.
step two: improve what you write so others can enjoy it too. Write what you love, then write it better. You will enjoy it more, others will like it, so it will make it even better for you.

Life is always about finding ways to improve what you do.

Being talented doesn't really come into it. If you ask me talent is nothing other than skill which has been developed through practice, which others think makes it look easy.

Who has actually said they don't like your work? People you actually know? Internet users? It seems a lot of your pessimism comes from lack of confidence, I'm guessing it comes from this feedback you've recieved? I think the best approach is to write for yourself, but you mentioned trying to prove people wrong. Unfortunately I can't see that being a productive way of working, yes take on board feedback that is meant to be constructive, but try to write as self-expression, not to make a point.

Did you do that online course you mentioned? If so did you enjoy it? I have done one or two myself, and they can be really helpful for coming at writing from different viewpoints. Remember, we're all writers here, we wont dislike your work for the sake of putting you down. If you want to post your work here we will come at it from a realistic, constructive angle, and if we think something doesn't work we will likely try to tell you what, why, and possibly alternative ways of doing it. We won't say "this is crap" and leave it at that. The only trolls here are the mythical ones that live under bridges.

Last edited: