• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Old man - New hobby

Shobber

Hi Folks, I'm really excited about finding this fantastic website. I started writing as a hobby about a year ago, but have struggled with a lot of aspects of it. I've bought and (part) read a number of books on writing fantasy fiction, listened to pod casts, watched the Brandon Sanderson and Michael Hauge lectures, but still haven't been to put anything coherent together. My day job is in the complex field of wireless communications, but writing a good story is a different scale of complexity. Scanning these pages and reading what others have posted, discussed, and advised gives me hope that one day I might get there. For that I thank you, and hope in the future to be in a position to return the favour.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Howdy Shobber, Welcome here.

I am wading into the publishing now. Seems like a long journey, but...going in anyway.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Welcome, Shobber.

Struggle isn't just part of the job, it's pretty much the whole job. Do you have a story to tell, or are you still mired in the Morass of Ideas?

Shobber, welcome to the Scribes.

If, as a welcome gift, I were to give you one piece of unsolicited advice, it would be: Enjoy the process where you are right now.

Or, as the sign over my writing nook says, "Dig now, sculpt later."

Worry not so much about the overwhelming idea of writing a coherent and well-crafted story (but by all means read up on such pursuits as you go), but follow the joy of discovering what makes a story, your story, interesting to you. A character, a place, a conflict, a power, a motivation etc, and let it all flow from there. Follow it from end to beginning or beginning to end. From the middle out, or in vignettes across a span of time — it doesn't matter. As long as you are engaged and putting words on paper/screen, that's progress. :)

Hi Folks, I'm really excited about finding this fantastic website. I started writing as a hobby about a year ago, but have struggled with a lot of aspects of it. I've bought and (part) read a number of books on writing fantasy fiction, listened to pod casts, watched the Brandon Sanderson and Michael Hauge lectures, but still haven't been to put anything coherent together. My day job is in the complex field of wireless communications, but writing a good story is a different scale of complexity. Scanning these pages and reading what others have posted, discussed, and advised gives me hope that one day I might get there. For that I thank you, and hope in the future to be in a position to return the favour.

I'd like to say welcome, I'm writing as a brand new hobby as well, everyone here is great with awesome advice. Ask questions :)

Phietadix

Auror
Welcome to our community! I, for one, look forward to having another older viewpoint on writing. My own being so heavily influenced by my youth

Shobber

Thanks for all your replies guys, and the words of advice and encouragement.
skip.knox - I did have an idea, but then diverged as for some reason (no good reason really) I lost faith in it. After several false starts since I find I am coming back round to my original idea - albeit somewhat morphed.
Maker of Things Not Kings Great advice. I also came to the conclusion it is more important to write than plan first Story first then plan / re-pan later, to avoid getting bogged down in plot, character, magic system, etc. It sounds the wrong way round but from experience I feel it will work best for me -. Thanks!

Shobber

Howdy Shobber, Welcome here.

I am wading into the publishing now. Seems like a long journey, but...going in anyway.
I sincerely wish you all the best. I know publishing your work can be very hit and miss. Are you going for a publisher or self-publishing?

ManinMauve

Acolyte
I can definitely relate. I wrote through my teen years, and have an off/on relationship with writing but felt the need to solidify myself back into my relationship with my writing and literacy overall after years of working retail. I’ve been dealing with writing altogether for about 15 years, and I still struggle to row my boat through my writing and the literary world.