• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Contemplating writing some "analytical essays" as a worldbuilding feature?

Sounds great! You could end up with something like the excerpts F. Herbert used at the head of his chapters in Dune. Even if you don't use them in the book, they could help for sorting the logic behind the world, the connections between things from multiple perspectives (philosophical, cultural, scientific, theological....)

Tom

Istar

Go for it! That's a really awesome worldbuilding exercise--plus it's fun!

I wrote something similar for Southerner a little while ago. They were called The Letters of Terma Dithonso, and they were framed as a series of letters written by a merchant of one of the southern nations, telling his family about the lives and customs of the people he encounters on his first trading venture in the Northern Isles. I had a blast writing them, and they helped me get a clearer picture of how the different cultures interact in Southerner.

Man, I should dig those out sometime...

C

Chessie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NaNoWriMo WIP!

This sounds great, actually. I'm in the process of marinating on something similar for my Magi Moons series. Working on book 2 now, but I would really like some additional material to place on my website and also use as mailing list freebies. It's also a good way of further developing your world and shall we say like, super duper fun? :p

@ Tom: sounds like something for your portfolio, eh?

Tom

Istar
@ Tom: sounds like something for your portfolio, eh?

You know, if I manage to find them and edit them a bit, I would definitely put them in my portfolio! Only problem is, they're in hard copy form, probably in a notebook somewhere...I remodeled my room this summer, so nothing is where it's supposed to be.

C

Chessie

It's expensive software so I'm recommending it for someday when you have bank, but Dragon Naturally Speaking will easily help you transfer the notebook writing into your computer. It's the best writing software of all time imo (sorry Scrivener, you've been chopped).

Reactions: Tom
Go for it! That's a really awesome worldbuilding exercise--plus it's fun!

I wrote something similar for Southerner a little while ago. They were called The Letters of Terma Dithonso, and they were framed as a series of letters written by a merchant of one of the southern nations, telling his family about the lives and customs of the people he encounters on his first trading venture in the Northern Isles. I had a blast writing them, and they helped me get a clearer picture of how the different cultures interact in Southerner.

Man, I should dig those out sometime...

That also could make a great novel in and of itself? Old letters from a family member or some traveler back to a home land detailing great worlds and new area? The whole book could be series of parchments with 'handwriting' letters? Kind of like The Illuminae Files but letters versus files and interviews

NaNoWriMo WIP!

Tom

Istar
That also could make a great novel in and of itself? Old letters from a family member or some traveler back to a home land detailing great worlds and new area? The whole book could be series of parchments with 'handwriting' letters? Kind of like The Illuminae Files but letters versus files and interviews

You know, that's a good idea! As I recall, the letters did have something of an overarching plot that could work to tie them all together. I think it had something to do with a storm that struck as they were sailing north. Much of their cargo for trade was damaged, which forced them to spend more time in the north and trade in more cities than they would have otherwise, to make up for it.

Now I'm thinking about the fun I had writing those...One of Terma's defining character traits was his habit of wandering foreign cities without a guide, which led to some pretty wild incidents. He also had a tendency to make stereotype-based assumptions about the cultures/people he encountered. This was often followed up by him being proven completely and hilariously wrong. And then there was that time he met my MC, Tomrin, and unintentionally insulted him...

Incanus

Auror
Rogue One: I don't much like large, densely packed crowds, so I'll do what I did last year. I went to a Saturday morning showing of Force Awakens, the day after it came out, and there were only about 20 people in the theatre. Worked perfectly.

You know, that's a good idea! As I recall, the letters did have something of an overarching plot that could work to tie them all together. I think it had something to do with a storm that struck as they were sailing north. Much of their cargo for trade was damaged, which forced them to spend more time in the north and trade in more cities than they would have otherwise, to make up for it.

Now I'm thinking about the fun I had writing those...One of Terma's defining character traits was his habit of wandering foreign cities without a guide, which led to some pretty wild incidents. He also had a tendency to make stereotype-based assumptions about the cultures/people he encountered. This was often followed up by him being proven completely and hilariously wrong. And then there was that time he met my MC, Tomrin, and unintentionally insulted him...

That sounds awesome. Do that :D

Tom

Istar
YIKES. You're so right. Friday I had my last final exam, and it was snowing heavily when I left for class. I fishtailed a couple of times on the way to school because my vehicle is old and its auto four-wheel drive is broken, so I now have to manually put it in four-wheel drive...Kinda scary!

C

Chessie

YIKES. You're so right. Friday I had my last final exam, and it was snowing heavily when I left for class. I fishtailed a couple of times on the way to school because my vehicle is old and its auto four-wheel drive is broken, so I now have to manually put it in four-wheel drive...Kinda scary!

It is very scary! My car currently has summer tires on right now because my studded ones are frozen solid. Together. There's no getting them out until it gets warmer...like when?! Luckily I have 4 wheel drive but we also live up a mountain, so coming down a narrow winding icy road is a bit intense. Once we get out of the valley, then there's the main road that leads to the highway...but that one is one huge slope that also twists and turns and is narrow. Sigh.

Tom

Istar
That sounds terrifying! I live on a pretty tall hill, with a sharp curve at the bottom just before a stop sign. It can get downright dangerous in winter, especially with the bad roads around here. There's an intersection not far from my place that's been dubbed Suicide Corners locally, for the frequent accidents that happen there (blind hill+state route+low winter visiblity=not good). A girl from my hometown, who was also in my psychology class my first semester, died in an accident not too long ago there.

So I'm the snow thing, it got slightly snowy here, but my truck is reAr wheel drive and it is tiny so it weighs nothing XD talk about fishtails at every light I had to stop!

NaNoWriMo WIP!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
It's unlikely to be any time soon but I can't wait for it to snow here.
If we get 2-3 inches, it is as if the world falls apart for a week...
That said I do have my thermal blanket, bottled water, power bars, torch, and snow shovel in the back of the car.. oh almost forgot about the boots, day-glo water/snow proof jacket, tow rope, gloves, and a fleece top.

In my area, growing up, every winter had major snows, usually a few. But global warming (whether caused by man or not heh) seems to be pushing the line northward, and now we can go whole winters without much snow. Nature being the mischievous thing she is, we still get slammed from time to time. I'm just glad the polar vortex is northward this time around.