• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Incanus

Auror
I believe that Alyssa was being facetious. It's like the time Davy Crockett stopped the Germans from bombing Little Big Horn at the Battle of Yavin.

I thought as much, but with Trek, you can never be absolutely certain.

Dune ranks very high with me as well. One of the all-time great books. The sequels... not so much.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
You know you're a Christmas-loving LOTR nerd when you take the time and effort to translate "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" into Sindarin. I already have the first verse and the chorus. I regret nothing.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
You know you're a Christmas-loving LOTR nerd when you take the time and effort to translate "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" into Sindarin. I already have the first verse and the chorus. I regret nothing.

That sounds ridiculously fun in comparison to writing a paper on agricultural policy...

...Otherwise it's probably still pretty fun :)

C

Chessie

I seriously just terrified the cats with my kitchen karaoke performance of Melissa Etheridge's "I'm The Only One."

According to Maya & Autumn, I better stick with the writing.

Tom

Istar
I want to design a Harry Potter bookmark for my sister for Christmas, but I also want to do nothing. And my last final was yesterday and I'm still caught in the "feeling guilty because I should be doing homework" thing. Bleh. :/

Alyssa

Troubadour

Come on. You can't do that to us. How can you leave us hanging like that?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Come on. You can't do that to us. How can you leave us hanging like that?

Wonder no more! Here are the English lyrics I used, then the verses translated into Sindarin, and then a back-translation into English so you can see how I was forced to tweak things. XD It's not perfect; I'm not 100% sure how some of the words are meant to be lenited, and I had to fudge the rhymes a wee bit, but I like how it turned out!

ENGLISH
O come, o come, Emmanuel
To free your captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice, rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel!

O come, thou Dayspring from on high
And cheer us by thy drawing nigh.
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And Death's dark shadow put to flight.

O come, come, thou Lord of Might
Who to thy tribes on Sinai's height
In ancient times did give the law
In clouded majesty an awe.

SINDARIN
Tolo, Erunaven, tolo,
Lín Eruvaethant leithio,
Erib ar edlenn; nîr lantar
An Eruion thio darar.
Eruvaethant, gell ‘erithach;
Erunaven le telitha!

Tolo, Aureithel, e Menel
A na toled lín tegi gell
Risto i fân o fuin dhem
A guruthos natha edlenn.
Erunaven le telitha!

Tolo, tolo, le Brannon Tú
I ‘waith lín erin Dôl Eru
Anann io annant bith conui
Ne balan a ne chlaur fanui.
Erunaven le telitha!

ENGLISH (LITERAL)
Come, Emmanuel, come,
Your Israel to release,
Lonely and exiled; tears fall
For God’s Son to appear they wait.
Israel, you will have joy;
Emmanuel will come to you!

Come, Day-spring, out of heaven
And by your coming bring joy
Cleave the clouds of gloomy night
And the shadow of death will be exiled.

Come, come, you Lord of Might
Who to your people on the Mountain of God
Long ago gave commanding words
In power and in cloudy glory

Nimue

Auror
I love it, Ireth. The only thing that would make it better is a recording of you singing it, heheheh

I just put all my MS challenge short stories in my portfolio (WHICH OTHER PEOPLE SHOULD ALSO DO SO I CAN READ YOUR OLD STORIES HINT HINT HINT) and I noticed something of a trend:

Challenge word count: 1000-2000 words.

Me: This story could be about anything, but it needs to be brief without a lot of build-up. Other than that, the sky's the limit.

Challenge word count 5000+ words.

Me:
qwW1iKV.jpg

Last edited:
C

Chessie

I posted one of my lame-o stories in the portfolio a while back. A failure of a story, really. I have many more of those lol.

@Nimue, your story is on my TBR list. You know I'm a sucker for your style, baby. *wink*

Wonder no more! Here are the English lyrics I used, then the verses translated into Sindarin, and then a back-translation into English so you can see how I was forced to tweak things. XD It's not perfect; I'm not 100% sure how some of the words are meant to be lenited, and I had to fudge the rhymes a wee bit, but I like how it turned out!

ENGLISH
O come, o come, Emmanuel

SINDARIN
Tolo, Erunaven, tolo,
Lín Eruvaethant leithio,
An Eruion thio darar.
Erunaven le telitha!

Tolo, Aureithel, e Menel
A na toled lín tegi gell
Risto i fân o fuin dhem
A guruthos natha edlenn.
Erunaven le telitha!

Erunaven le telitha!

ENGLISH (LITERAL)
Come, Emmanuel, come,
Your Israel to release,

This is the best thing ever.

I hate it when I post hysterical/overdramatic posts while I'm panicking over something and not in my right mind and then after I've calmed down reread and realize I've exposed everyone (and, I kind of want you guys to like me!) to my hysterics yet again. I always feel like I have to apologize but again it doesn't feel like it fixes anything to apologize.

Calmed down...Ok, I haven't been very calm. When there's something going wrong with my WIP I feel like I HAVE to fix it ASAP or else everything is out of control and it's all a mess I can't fix. Having anything go wrong is extremely scary to me and I don't really know how to take a deep breath and walk away. I obsess and obsess and obsess.

I...wish I wasn't like this.

Reactions: Tom

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I hate it when I post hysterical/overdramatic posts while I'm panicking over something and not in my right mind and then after I've calmed down reread and realize I've exposed everyone (and, I kind of want you guys to like me!) to my hysterics yet again. I always feel like I have to apologize but again it doesn't feel like it fixes anything to apologize.

Calmed down...Ok, I haven't been very calm. When there's something going wrong with my WIP I feel like I HAVE to fix it ASAP or else everything is out of control and it's all a mess I can't fix. Having anything go wrong is extremely scary to me and I don't really know how to take a deep breath and walk away. I obsess and obsess and obsess.

I...wish I wasn't like this.

*sends hugs through the interweb*

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team

ENGLISH
O come, o come, Emmanuel

SINDARIN
Tolo, Erunaven, tolo,
Lín Eruvaethant leithio,
An Eruion thio darar.
Erunaven le telitha!

Tolo, Aureithel, e Menel
A na toled lín tegi gell
Risto i fân o fuin dhem
A guruthos natha edlenn.
Erunaven le telitha!

Erunaven le telitha!

ENGLISH (LITERAL)
Come, Emmanuel, come,
Your Israel to release,

Ireth, this was always my favourite carol. So haunting.lets all listen to Enya and imagine Ireth's lyrics:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPHh3nMMu-I[/video]

Last edited:
Random thought today: Relationships don't suck, it's the bad days, unsolved arguments, and awkward stares after a break up that suck.

Oddly enough I find my friends continue to go back and do the same thing over, and over, and over again. I recently broke up with my girlfriend of almost eight months which is about seven and a half months longer than average for Lebanon Missouri, and I can barely walk into the band room without people staring at me STILL and it's been four days:/ It was a good relationship but I felt like she was a "push everything out the door" gal and I'm more of a "hey let's talk and we'll decide on [insert subject] because I'm dating you because your a potential wife for me" and so neither of us were gonna change our differing basic values. She didn't like hearing me say that though XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NaNoWriMo WIP!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
My will to continue with the WIP is fast failing. It wasn't too strong to start with, when I began it for NaNo. But I kept at it anyhow, and topped 37000 words by the time NaNo ended. Told myself I'd try for a thousand words a day for a couple weeks, see if I couldn't finish it. After all, I was getting into the stuff I considered interesting - the philosophical debate behind the whole story. That only sort of worked. Yes, I got in a few good days by my standards. But most days, I didn't. It didn't help that work turned into a real bear.

Today, I sat down with the intent of finishing Chapter 15. Managed 800 words and just stopped. Not exactly cause for optimism.

New plan:

Work on this tale for the next week. Maybe I can crank out a couple more chapters, get things to the point just before the grand climax. Then finish out with stubs and set it aside for a few weeks. A break seems to be in order.