• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Ronald T.

Troubadour
Hello everyone.

I was away for a little while, but I’m back now. I may as well mention what happened.

So, I had myself a heart-attack on the evening of 10/9/16, but I didn’t know that’s what it was while it was happening. It was sort of surprising but not totally unexpected–my dad had this issue and I take after him quite a bit.

Anyway, three days later I went in for a triple bypass. A bit of an ordeal. Needless to say, I wasn’t exactly in shape for writing during and after that. It was about a month before I could pick up the pen again.

But, I’m doing well. I had great aftercare by my family (including not one, but TWO nurses who are sisters). I’m otherwise healthy, not overweight, non-smoker, and I have no other complications.

I’m back at work (you know, day job) and almost back to normal.

So that’s all for now. Hope everyone here has been doing well.

I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through such an ordeal. That's scary stuff. But I'm extremely happy to hear you're doing so much better now. I'm so glad you're able to continue your writing. I always consider writing a form of therapy -- both physical and mental. I hope that you have a full recovery and that it happens soon. If my wishes mean anything to the powers of the universe, then you'll be running marathons before you know it.

But take your time to heal, fully. Everything else can wait.

As always, all my best to you, Incanus.

Tom

Istar
I just spent like half an hour freaking out over the sound in my animation final. It wasn't playing and I tried messing with the settings, then converted the sound file to like three different formats, and even considered deleting that section of the animation...

Then I realized I put the sound in the final scene instead of the first scene, and I'd only been playing about half the instant preview to check the sound. Oh my god, I'm so tired....when I figured out what I'd done I started laughing/crying hysterically....What are finals doing to me.

I just spent like half an hour freaking out over the sound in my animation final. It wasn't playing and I tried messing with the settings, then converted the sound file to like three different formats, and even considered deleting that section of the animation...

Then I realized I put the sound in the final scene instead of the first scene, and I'd only been playing about half the instant preview to check the sound. Oh my god, I'm so tired....when I figured out what I'd done I started laughing/crying hysterically....What are finals doing to me.

You have my sympathies. I cannot express how glad I am I can say never again to taking a final. You'll get there soon Tom. Just make sure you punch the computer program that caused such frustration in the mouth.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
You have my sympathies. I cannot express how glad I am I can say never again to taking a final. You'll get there soon Tom. Just make sure you punch the computer program that caused such frustration in the mouth.

Thanks, Brian. I ended up turning the animation in on time! (Unfortunately, as the program in question was on one of the brand-new Macs we just got in the digital art lab, I did not end up punching it in the mouth.)

After I'm done with this paper I'm working on, that'll be it for the semester! I can't wait to catch up on sleep. I've been getting to bed at 2-3 am for the last three weeks or so.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Thanks everyone! It's nice to be back--not that I post a ton or anything.

Russ--sorry to hear you've been through something similar. They actually gave me the option for stents, but thought I should take care of this more thoroughly. The good news is that I may never need a bypass again.

I'm glad to be done with this part of the whole thing, the healing part. Can't quite ever have the old lifestyle back though. No more salty snack foods for me! D'oh!

So, just where in your WIP does the heart attack scene go? Or is that for the next book?

Incanus

Auror
So, just where in your WIP does the heart attack scene go? Or is that for the next book?

Ha! No heart-attack scenes... yet. But I'll tell you what--I should be able to write characters experiencing great discomfort or pain more convincingly now. Or characters recovering from dire wounds, or that sort of thing. Should be pretty genuine.

Nimue

Auror
Ha! No heart-attack scenes... yet. But I'll tell you what--I should be able to write characters experiencing great discomfort or pain more convincingly now. Or characters recovering from dire wounds, or that sort of thing. Should be pretty genuine.
God, seeing that sort of a silver lining is how you know you're a writer. ^^;;

Incanus

Auror
God, seeing that sort of a silver lining is how you know you're a writer. ^^;;

Oh, yeah. I think EVERYTHING is grist for the mill.

Still, I won't consider myself a writer until I've published something. Somewhere. And I won't be ready to try anything like that for quite some time yet.

I just realized that one of my characters, who was one of my favorite ones and who I was really looking forward to writing, has no place in the story. Her scene has to be cut. I'm sad. :(

Haha!

But seriously. Every painful ordeal I go through, a voice in the back of my mind is gleefully chirping, NEW MATERIAL!! It's actually really annoying.

Alyssa

Troubadour
I just realized that one of my characters, who was one of my favorite ones and who I was really looking forward to writing, has no place in the story. Her scene has to be cut. I'm sad. :(

There's always a place in the story for a good character. And that's how Julius Caesar took over the USS Enterprise with the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver...

Incanus

Auror
Haha!

But seriously. Every painful ordeal I go through, a voice in the back of my mind is gleefully chirping, NEW MATERIAL!! It's actually really annoying.

I do the exact same thing. When I'm not writing, I'm thinking or talking about it. I had a month of no writing while recovering, so some thinking and talking got done. I have a writing friend that I speak with regularly--we spend about 1 to 4 hours on the phone at a time--and even that's not enough.

Incanus

Auror
There's always a place in the story for a good character. And that's how Julius Caesar took over the USS Enterprise with the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver...

Wait... I don't recall that. Might this have happened on the one iteration of the show I didn't end up watching: Enterprise?

Tom

Istar
I took my last final this morning!! Yes! Done with school for an entire month. Now I actually have time for writing and drawing stuff that isn't for school.

As writing practice I write wrestling and fighting fiction on Deviantart under the name Fatehound45. It helps to write something totally unrelated to my WIP.

Reaver

Staff

Wait... I don't recall that. Might this have happened on the one iteration of the show I didn't end up watching: Enterprise?

Wasn't in Enterprise that I recall.

I believe that Alyssa was being facetious. It's like the time Davy Crockett stopped the Germans from bombing Little Big Horn at the Battle of Yavin.

Reaver

Staff
Awww... why do you have to ruin my fun :happy: . I love the Dune references by the way!

Didn't mean to spoil the fun, so maybe this will make up for it:

Spaaaaaace_Ghooooost.gif

Dune is my favorite science fiction story and the 1984 film adaptation is my all time favorite.

In my opinion, Frank Herbert is the Tolkien of science fiction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saigonnus

Auror
I believe that Alyssa was being facetious. It's like the time Davy Crockett stopped the Germans from bombing Little Big Horn at the Battle of Yavin.

Or like the time Darth Vader choked out Mike Tyson during their dogfight over the skies of Ankhara during the battle of the bulge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk