• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Ireth

Myth Weaver
What does it mean when people say "Pardon my French" after they swear? Is it like saying "Pardon me for injecting random 'French' into this conversation," or "Pardon me for speaking French really badly so it sounds like swearing"?

that last post made my day. lol

So...I found a cool mind thing I would like to share with you guys. If you already know it please don't spoil.
Connor was convicted of a crime and taken by a man seeking revenge. the man seeking revenge carries a whip and a sword. the man asks Connor a question and says that if connor tells the truth he will kill him with the sword yet if he lies, he will whip him to death. what must he say to stay alive?

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
that last post made my day. lol

So...I found a cool mind thing I would like to share with you guys. If you already know it please don't spoil.
A man was convicted of a crime and taken by a man seeking revenge. the man seeking revenge carries a whip and a sword. he says that if he tells the truth he will kill him with the sword yet if he lies, he will whip him to death. what must he say to stay alive?
Say nothing. Not even in bad French.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
For the record, very little research was done to make that post. I can't imagine a real French person would call anyone a soufflé, though that at least sounds more likely than an American threatening to kick someone's "cleft of the buttocks." That translation made me laugh.

If it turns out that French people really do use French pastry names as swears, please tell me. Then I know how to make kid-friendly versions of my work.

"Croissant you," said Addison Lane. "Go to Crème Brûlée!"

Seriously these French things really make me laugh. they brighten my day. I am sick so you can imagine how important this is to me. thank you Legendary Sidekick.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Holy tortellini! Your Nonno is-a one crazy ​matzo ball! Ah, but the tortellini, that's-a what I mangiaed for-a dinner tonight. And if you-a no like-a the way I add-a the English suffix to the Italiano verb, here's-a what I say-a to you. Fettuccine Alfredo! I break-a you face!

(P.S.- I'm half-Italian, so I feel like I can go further than I did with the French.)

lol yes I'm part Italian as well and two of my cousins live there. and my uncle cursed like that as well. this is awesome. I feel like you should make a children's book in which people live in a world made of food and they curse at people like this. lol

Addison

Auror
My grandfather did the same thing and then some. He would swear in German, and even if German he would use rodents and other vermin. He ranked vermin according to the swear. The lowest was mosquito, highest was vulture, if you really got him made it as sewer rat. If you got him really REALLy mad, like Ricky Ricardo, he would start roaring in German. If Hitler saw my grandfather when he got mad there would have never been a second world war.

Aside from his use of German and vermin, he made an amazing, for-the-gods Black Forest Cake.

Warrioress

Scribe
Do it like a brother...You need a bad girl to blow your mind...Welcome to the jungle....This place about to BLOW!

(Random lyrics in my head)

We thought you were a myth.

Well, you were myth-taken

-Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
And now it's time for another one of Legendary Sidekick's
Stupid Pet Tricks!

Today, Ginger the Fish jumped out of her tank when I tried to feed her. She tried to bite me or her food or the air or something, then landed on the piano and flopped onto the floor. My wife saved her by picking her up with her hands, thankfully, as the best I could do was cup mine around her to keep her from flopping under the piano.

She's alive.

♪ Ta-daaaaaaaaaaa! ♪