• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

I grew up with the books too. And I liked them then. But at the same time I never could get that into it. And it's a little frightening to me, as a writer, that people can get that into something. Because I tell you, if I got JKR famous and people asked obscure world building questions my answers would tend to be along the lines of "Dear reader what do you get when you cross an elephant with a rhino? An elephino. (Hell if I know.)"

The other problem I have with it is that she gets an inordinate amount of praise. Again, I am not saying she is a bad writer, I am saying that she just isn't a ground breaking writer. And I am willing to be that the horcrux thing for voldemort did not really enter into JKR's mind until book 5 or 6 and she retconned at least HP and the diary being horcruxes when she realized how cool that would be, but that is just me.

I agree, not ground breaking. I think it was the intricate story with which she painted the series. The world building along with the depth of Characters was astounding. I read all seven in fourth grade and I have loved them dearly. I haven't even watched all the movies yet and it's been six years! The books were fabulous and the new script play thingy was almost disappointing to me:/ I enjoy the long form Novel, 500+ page style she always used XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I agree, not ground breaking. I think it was the intricate story with which she painted the series. The world building along with the depth of Characters was astounding. I read all seven in fourth grade and I have loved them dearly. I haven't even watched all the movies yet and it's been six years! The books were fabulous and the new script play thingy was almost disappointing to me:/ I enjoy the long form Novel, 500+ page style she always used XD

I haven't seen Deathly Hallows Part 2 yet. (Wonder if it's on Netflix?) And IMO, the less said about Cursed Child, the better.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I haven't seen Deathly Hallows Part 2 yet. (Wonder if it's on Netflix?) And IMO, the less said about Cursed Child, the better.
If you've read the book then I don't think I'm going to spoil anything by saying...
Wait for Neville Longbottom in DH #2!
He is the real hero for me...

Guys I wrote 5,192 words today, which is more than I've ever written in a day. I was so close to the end I was like "k I'm finishing this bad boy this weekend" and decided to start sprinting it.

My brain is half dead of exhaustion but I'm so excited because I'm almost finished with my first draft. Its an ugly one but it's a draft. seriously so excited.

What I'm not excited about?

-re-reading (I may vomit)
-revising (will be a beast to revise)
-letting others read it (especially my mom, who absolutely hates darkness and violence of any kind in books and well, my MC kills people, it's a dystopia with plague and drugs, and there are maybe 3 characters that are alive and have all their limbs/body parts?)

Well, my potentially almost kind of sort of final draft of Book I and II are done. Would anyone like to read them? I can pm you the links [I'd rather not post them on the forum just yet].

So I've found that being a decent person and having a highschool relationship that function with my worldview is considerably more challenging than any other task I've ever faced myself with I might think. Hmmm... possibly a topic for a speculative essay or long paper...

^I...did not enjoy highschool much at all, and I really don't like essays. :mad::(

On a totally random note...I'm super excited to write my next book. It's going to be a lot of fun. Basically, there is this girl named Mono with a mystery that no one can figure out, her two dragon wizard healer/knight guardians who are in a passionate relationship with Mono and each other, and this random guy who thinks that by wearing oversized robes and a fake beard he is a wizard...and he also thinks that he's in a fantasy role playing video game. Hilarity all around.

Last edited:
So I've found that being a decent person and having a highschool relationship that function with my worldview is considerably more challenging than any other task I've ever faced myself with I might think. Hmmm... possibly a topic for a speculative essay or long paper...

You may not like hearing this, but I've decided not to even date until i've reached college and it's working out pretty well for me. No stress, no grief. People are flighty and immature at this age (even me) and i've decided i'm in no rush. If you're looking for a meaningful long term relationship, you may not find one because we're all still...kids, really, who don't yet know who we are or what we want in life. So...I'm just saying, there's no rule that you have to find 'the one' now. ;)

Being a decent person, that's a whole nother can of worms. Lol.

You may not like hearing this, but I've decided not to even date until i've reached college and it's working out pretty well for me. No stress, no grief. People are flighty and immature at this age (even me) and i've decided i'm in no rush. If you're looking for a meaningful long term relationship, you may not find one because we're all still...kids, really, who don't yet know who we are or what we want in life. So...I'm just saying, there's no rule that you have to find 'the one' now. ;)

Being a decent person, that's a whole nother can of worms. Lol.

Haha yeah, it's not necessarily about finding the 'one' this very moment but I wouldn't mind a date to prom. The issue is that nobody in my area has values that line up with me enough to even think about such a serious proposal XD

The four characters are in search of their author...me. Or at least, the character who is also the author in the story itself. The 'wizard' guy doesn't like the way he's written and wants to be a real wizard.
I haven't figured out what Mono, Dia [the dragon wizard knight], and Adi [the dragon wizard healer] want yet. Maybe I should ask them.

Everything has suddenly become very meta. :eek:

Last edited: