• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

My fantasy books are probably going to be impossible to categorize. Is it fantasy, but in space? Is it romance? Is it a story about families? Is it a story about stories? What about the slight horror elements?
The only thing my books aren't? Cowboy stories! :D

My fantasy books are probably going to be impossible to categorize. Is it fantasy, but in space? Is it romance? Is it a story about families? Is it a story about stories? What about the slight horror elements?

I relate to this. SO. MUCH.

I was writing what I thought was a dystopian/post apocalyptic type tale about an all-girls school for assassins. Now there are immortal wizards and the assassin thing has more or less fallen to the wayside. There are also other random fantasy elements and now I'm taking an unanticipated dive into steampunk. Crud. I should have planned.

The other one is a historical-inspired fantasy that's kinda based on the Lewis and Clark expedition but there are dragons and the native peoples are practitioners of magic. There's a random talking cat.

I feel like I'll end up a Weird Fiction/New Weird author. I always veer toward the surreal and strange and border on horror, and I tend to blend sci-fi and fantasy.

I don't know what I am now...

^I'm a crystal rainbow fairy star angel kitten. There's always at least one cat or cat-like being in every one of my stories, by the way. ;) The horror elements are rather subtle, but there are definitely some creepy parts. For the dark force in Book II, I combined everything that scares me: androids [for her mannerisms], puppets [for her movements], masks [for her blank face], dolls [for her posture and floppy limbs], clocks [for her heartbeat, which the main character can hear], and so forth.

^I'm a crystal rainbow fairy star angel kitten. There's always at least one cat or cat-like being in every one of my stories, by the way. ;) The horror elements are rather subtle, but there are definitely some creepy parts. For the dark force in Book II, I combined everything that scares me: androids [for her mannerisms], puppets [for her movements], masks [for her blank face], dolls [for her posture and floppy limbs], clocks [for her heartbeat, which the main character can hear], and so forth.

I have this thing for cat characters too, lol. In one of my stories, I have a talking cat; in the graphic novel I'm planning one of my characters is a chubby superhero catgirl.

That does sound creepy. O_O

I have around two or three cat-like races in my books, as well.

The dark force [the Korion Maiden] only shows up twice throughout the entire book [once near the beginning, and again at the very end], but the main character [Kurea] constantly dreams about her, including one where Kurea is standing bolt upright while knowing full well that the Korion Maiden is right behind her [since she can hear the abnormal heartbeat], but is far too scared to move.
Weirdly enough, the only horror series I actually read is Claymore, but the stuff in that series is terrifying enough as it is!

Addison

Auror
I hope everyone's staying warm and comfy, because in my vicinity it has been tough. We're nearing the end of an intense storm which has dumped more than two feet of snow within the last few days. Also intense winds. Forget hazardous roads, driveways are dangerous. Right now my car is stuck diagonally at the edge of the street. Also, last night, we lost power. It only came back about....three hours ago. So working data-entry was fun, the younger workers discovered pen and paper and hand-delivery.

the bright side has been snuggling under a blanket with the dog and getting to catch up on my reading. Only without the hot cocoa, the only downside. But seriously guys stay warm. If you don't have a fire place, either stock up on blankets and long-john clothes. Perhaps a battery-powered space heater. Also, maybe a generator. If you are, or know, an engineer or electrician, see if you can use your car battery for power. All it takes is snow to shift off one branch, hit one wire, then DOON, we're ripping off "Revolution".

So, confession time. I like the Harry Potter series. I thought it was good, great even. But I keep seeing posts in various places about how Harry Potter is a way of life and I just don't get it. I mean yeah, it was engaging but it wasn't the best book series in the world. I just don't get that kind of adoration for the series.

So, confession time. I like the Harry Potter series. I thought it was good, great even. But I keep seeing posts in various places about how Harry Potter is a way of life and I just don't get it. I mean yeah, it was engaging but it wasn't the best book series in the world. I just don't get that kind of adoration for the series.

Hmm...I guess it's just easy to get swallowed up in. I mean, once you've taken all the quizzes and figured out your house and your patronus and your wand...

Also, there is so much fanfic to get immersed in...

The books are just so popular, it's easy to find community as a fan.

I'm a HUFFLEPUFF by the way, and I'm overly patriotic about my house.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Hmm...I guess it's just easy to get swallowed up in. I mean, once you've taken all the quizzes and figured out your house and your patronus and your wand...

Also, there is so much fanfic to get immersed in...

The books are just so popular, it's easy to find community as a fan.

I'm a HUFFLEPUFF by the way, and I'm overly patriotic about my house.

It also can be a different experience depending on how old you were when you first read the books. I was ten when the first book came out, and I grew up alongside Harry and his friends, so they really have stuck with me even so many years later.

*fistbumps DOTA* Yaaas! Puff Pride!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
It also can be a different experience depending on how old you were when you first read the books. I was ten when the first book came out, and I grew up alongside Harry and his friends, so they really have stuck with me even so many years later.
And if you saw the films before reading the books.
I saw the films 1 through 8 and then read the first [and so far my only] Harry Potter...
It was so different to the films I came close to hating it, for not being like the film.
Then, like I had with LotR, I realised that they really weren't the same thing and so you HAD to treat them differently.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
And if you saw the films before reading the books.
I saw the films 1 through 8 and then read the first [and so far my only] Harry Potter...
It was so different to the films I came close to hating it, for not being like the film.
Then, like I had with LotR, I realised that they really weren't the same thing and so you HAD to treat them differently.

There's that, too. I had the same experience with LOTR -- I saw the movies first, and while I absolutely loved them and still do, I love the books so much more. They have room to expand on the world more than even a three-hour movie can. The Harry Potter movie adaptations are very flawed, IMO. They cut out so much stuff that it screwed with continuity, not just world-building. Given how the books got longer as the series went on, it might have worked better as a TV series instead, with every chapter or so being its own episode.

There's that, too. I had the same experience with LOTR -- I saw the movies first, and while I absolutely loved them and still do, I love the books so much more. They have room to expand on the world more than even a three-hour movie can. The Harry Potter movie adaptations are very flawed, IMO. They cut out so much stuff that it screwed with continuity, not just world-building. Given how the books got longer as the series went on, it might have worked better as a TV series instead, with every chapter or so being its own episode.

I would love a HP TV adaptation. I've seen the first three movies and i'm meh about them. I read the books first, so...

I was twelve before I even read them :p

Puff PRIDE :D :D :D

I love this! A story I was... *cough* Am, working on is like this. Some of it resembles medieval epic fantasy but other parts in space and yet others romance... (this is a project that is a main story with included short stories and small runoff novels and comic books. I'm eclectic) anyways, the mixture of the genres is addicting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^It starts in space, proceeds onto the newly formed fantasy planet, has lots of romance, mixes in some horror, and even a teensy bit of apocalyptic stuff.

I like the LotR movies just as much as the books, but like The Silmarillion even more. Would it sound like bragging if I mentioned that I sometimes read parts of The Silmarillion as a bedtime story? My favourite part is The Tale of Beren and Luthien.
I also like the Harry Potter books; Prisoner of Azkaban and The Half-Blood Prince are my favourites. I don't like the movies much.

^It starts in space, proceeds onto the newly formed fantasy planet, has lots of romance, mixes in some horror, and even a teensy bit of apocalyptic stuff.

I like the LotR movies just as much as the books, but like The Silmarillion even more. Would it sound like bragging if I mentioned that I sometimes read parts of The Silmarillion as a bedtime story? My favourite part is The Tale of Beren and Luthien.
I also like the Harry Potter books; Prisoner of Azkaban and The Half-Blood Prince are my favourites. I don't like the movies much.

I love all of those series and books! I haven't read the silmarillion yet:/ I want to do badly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up with the books too. And I liked them then. But at the same time I never could get that into it. And it's a little frightening to me, as a writer, that people can get that into something. Because I tell you, if I got JKR famous and people asked obscure world building questions my answers would tend to be along the lines of "Dear reader what do you get when you cross an elephant with a rhino? An elephino. (Hell if I know.)"

The other problem I have with it is that she gets an inordinate amount of praise. Again, I am not saying she is a bad writer, I am saying that she just isn't a ground breaking writer. And I am willing to be that the horcrux thing for voldemort did not really enter into JKR's mind until book 5 or 6 and she retconned at least HP and the diary being horcruxes when she realized how cool that would be, but that is just me.