• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

buyjupiter

Maester
I didnt realize I'd be using my French skills this much. I thought I was taking a useless class in school. But now I'm using it to flirt & be all chatty. & I've been using my French A LOT in the last six months. (Compared to the first 15 years post-grad)

Rugby has been described as "a game for hooligans played by Gentlemen" where as football [aka soccer] is "a game for gentlemen played by Hooligans".
When it's played well it can be full of grace and power.

That's cool! So sorry had to revamp my phone and tapatalk got deleted XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok some thoughts: 1) School should make exceptions for writers during assemblies and other large events time wise lol so we have time to write XD

2) teens should be able to get some compensation if they have a certain amount of school activities so that they don't have to give up precious time for a freaking job that takes extensive hours

3) They need better ways to have accelerated study programs in highschool. Instead of graduating early what if you had some teachers do before and after school or independent study hours where students could move through material at their own pace and into new classes within the amount of a year so that maybe where a math class might've taken a year now it only takes a semester and then we can move on

4) Highschool students should create a lace where them and their friends can have study sessions and stay all night. So like, a club house sort of thing with beds and a functioning water and electricity system, where they can study and just stay up late studying and sleep well so that their parents aren't awoken by their studying

AnonymousNobody

3) They need better ways to have accelerated study programs in highschool. Instead of graduating early what if you had some teachers do before and after school or independent study hours where students could move through material at their own pace and into new classes within the amount of a year so that maybe where a math class might've taken a year now it only takes a semester and then we can move on

It's called home school. :D

It's called home school. :D

^That.

I'm homeschooled and am about to graduate, but I've been homeschooled through my whole life pretty much. I can do my subjects in whatever order, at whatever time, and at whatever speed I wish. I can take a day off and work on the weekends if I want; I can spend all day doing one subject if I get behind in it. I do a lot of my subjects at home, but you can take academic classes, do online programs...There's an unlimited amount of flexibility.

Also I can do school in my pajamas while listening to electronic music and eating ice cream.

As long as I graduate, lol.

^That.

I'm homeschooled and am about to graduate, but I've been homeschooled through my whole life pretty much. I can do my subjects in whatever order, at whatever time, and at whatever speed I wish. I can take a day off and work on the weekends if I want; I can spend all day doing one subject if I get behind in it. I do a lot of my subjects at home, but you can take academic classes, do online programs...There's an unlimited amount of flexibility.

Also I can do school in my pajamas while listening to electronic music and eating ice cream.

As long as I graduate, lol.

My issue is I want to get into Naval Academy, and to do everything that I am doing currently, and make it there, I have to be public schooled. I couldn't do Band outside of school, I couldn't do tennis as a sport with a team, I wouldn't have any administrative or teacher connections for anything, and I'd graduate in about seven months if I really put my mind to it. I'd be off the mark by about a year XD

My issue is I want to get into Naval Academy, and to do everything that I am doing currently, and make it there, I have to be public schooled. I couldn't do Band outside of school, I couldn't do tennis as a sport with a team, I wouldn't have any administrative or teacher connections for anything, and I'd graduate in about seven months if I really put my mind to it. I'd be off the mark by about a year XD

Depending on the state ... homeschooling with a charter is an option (at least it is in California). All the perks of a traditional school (teachers, state testing, clubs and activities etc.) + PJ's & ice cream.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
My lovely young daughter (now in her mid 20's, how time fly's) was in a particularly regressive religious home school program during her early teen years. As best I could tell from the literature, the people behind that program believed a woman's place was in the home, and as such they needed ONLY basic literacy and math skills.

I put her in the public school system upon gaining custody. They wanted to drop her three grades below what the program claimed her grade level was. She did graduate on time - but it meant extra classes and summer school - part of that in the form of a summer job at a fast food joint. Her math skills are still subpar - she bombed a few college classes as a direct result of that, and eventually dropped out. (At which point the student loan debt kicked in. Add a baby, and...well, good thing I'm around.)

My lovely young daughter (now in her mid 20's, how time fly's) was in a particularly regressive religious home school program during her early teen years. As best I could tell from the literature, the people behind that program believed a woman's place was in the home, and as such they needed ONLY basic literacy and math skills.

I put her in the public school system upon gaining custody. They wanted to drop her three grades below what the program claimed her grade level was. She did graduate on time - but it meant extra classes and summer school - part of that in the form of a summer job at a fast food joint. Her math skills are still subpar - she bombed a few college classes as a direct result of that, and eventually dropped out. (At which point the student loan debt kicked in. Add a baby, and...well, good thing I'm around.)

Oh wow. O_O I'm not sure what you mean by "home school program" though. Elaborate?

I've heard my share of negative home schooling stories. Not been directly involved in any--mine and my home school friends' experiences have been extremely positive on the whole--but the "religious cult" kind ARE out there. I'm not going to deny that some are like that. I just seriously wish people didn't think we were ALL like that. Or that none of us have friends. All of us can't even count the number of times we've gotten, "how do you make friends?" "I couldn't do that, I would want friends!" and the like. I've been out with my FIVE friends and had people by chance learn we were homeschooled and assume we were all sisters...

It would be nice if homeschooling got to be more mainstream. The weird looks and questions we all get...

Oh wow. O_O I'm not sure what you mean by "home school program" though. Elaborate?

I've heard my share of negative home schooling stories. Not been directly involved in any--mine and my home school friends' experiences have been extremely positive on the whole--but the "religious cult" kind ARE out there. I'm not going to deny that some are like that. I just seriously wish people didn't think we were ALL like that. Or that none of us have friends. All of us can't even count the number of times we've gotten, "how do you make friends?" "I couldn't do that, I would want friends!" and the like. I've been out with my FIVE friends and had people by chance learn we were homeschooled and assume we were all sisters...

It would be nice if homeschooling got to be more mainstream. The weird looks and questions we all get...

I would love homeschool, I want to study faster than I am, and without all these annoying liferforms... (most of which are a lesser intellect) and I can focus on God more too because I'm not so absorbed in trying to get a friggin A in school because they take wayyyyyy too long. I've thought about just doing a full intensive academic schedule over the summer:p

Futhark

Inkling
Now I have people (you guys and gals) that say more than "that sounds good", I'm finally motivated to start my first draft. Came to the realisation of how much work I have to do to become a half decent writer, then how much more to become a good writer, and it's like, why do I want be a writer again?

"The story of a 100,000 words begins with a single keystroke." Adapted from Lao Tzu.

Now I have people (you guys and gals) that say more than "that sounds good", I'm finally motivated to start my first draft. Came to the realisation of how much work I have to do to become a half decent writer, then how much more to become a good writer, and it's like, why do I want be a writer again?

"The story of a 100,000 words begins with a single keystroke." Adapted from Lao Tzu.

:D Good luck! You're gonna need it!

Actually, you're just going to need gumption, stubbornness and elbow grease.

This your first novel? It's gonna be hard, but it'll be incredible to see how much you learn and what a better writer you are by the end. You learn a LOT every time you write one.

Futhark

Inkling
Well, I've got stubbornness in spades (which has exponentially increased in my 7 year old daughter, much to my delight), which is why I'm afraid to start because I know it will consume me until it's done. Actually thinking of doing some short stories in the Fantastical 7 Seas and try very hard not to overthink it, just have some fun. Read some fantasy, which I haven't been able to do because I get halfway through a book, start thinking about my story, and don't pick it up again. "Such is life" - probably fictional last quote of Ned Kelly.

Last edited:
Well, I've got stubbornness in spades (which has exponentially increased in my 7 year old daughter, much to my delight), which is why I'm afraid to start because I know it will consume me until it's done. Actually thinking of doing some short stories in the Fantastical 7 Seas and try very hard not to overthink it, just have some fun. Read some fantasy, which I haven't been able to do because I get halfway through a book, start thinking about my story, and don't pick it up again. "Such is life" - probably fictional last quote of Ned Kelly.

Sounds like your story really wants to be written. Write it!

Hey, so I just posted about this on The Dragon Writes Again, but has anyone ever considered, or realized, that Science Fiction is essentially fantasy from a different perspective???? Like... if we were two hundred years in the future, present day would be a great fantasy setting... but two hundred years ago, we were living by the current definition of Science Fiction! Abstract theories are my babies XD

Hey, so I just posted about this on The Dragon Writes Again, but has anyone ever considered, or realized, that Science Fiction is essentially fantasy from a different perspective???? Like... if we were two hundred years in the future, present day would be a great fantasy setting... but two hundred years ago, we were living by the current definition of Science Fiction! Abstract theories are my babies XD

That's why Star Wars is a hard one to classify ... you have things like Midichlorians on one hand , and space travel/ aliens on the other.