• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

^Being a hufflepuff, I would probably be a hobbit.

Unless dragon was one of the options. I would always choose dragon over anything else. :p

And...Id have to travel for a few years before deciding that :p

You know you're a writer when...you accidentally gouge yourself with your razor shaving your legs and instead of grabbing a band-aid like a normal person, you just look at the blood streaming down your leg and think, "Cool! I just thought of a new way to describe streaming blood!"

^^I would likely be a [good] Maia of some sort. [I wouldn't choose elf because immortality in the modern sense of the word--endless time--doesn't sit well with me at all.]

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I'd be a Hobbit or a Man. Not an Elf, for the same reason as TCE (unless I were a half-elf who could choose mortality). Immortality would wear on me.

Maybe I could be the 'sixth' Istari that no one ever knew about. Erulisse the Pink. :tongue::balanced::angel:

[I used an online Quenya dictionary to translate my name. :p]

Last edited:

buyjupiter

Maester
If you could live in Middle-earth and be of a particular race, where would you live and what race would you be? [I'm asking anyone in general.]

I'm pretty sure I'd be Eowyn. Just ask anyone who knows me if storming off to battle dressed as a man and swinging swords around sounds like me. (Spoiler alert: it does.)

Otherwise I'd be a mythical entwife. Or maybe Goldberry.

So I really love Krav Maga, but 1. I suck at it and 2. I'm not even a yellow belt yet so I feel like I can't say I'm "into martial arts." Like, idk if it's even a hobby at this point, although I'm obsessed. Do I even seem like a "martial arts person?" This has such a macho kind of aura surrounding it and I am, for the most part, small and cute and fond of fuzzy socks and overly sensitive and prone to crying about everything.

I feel like an obnoxiously slow learner at everything. I'm constantly forgetting everything I have learned. I also seem to be completely oblivious to the distinction between right and left, which I've heard is a kind of dyslexia...so, that's weird. How long does the "I have no idea what I am doing" stage last? Lol. This is why I write; I suck at everything else I try to do. Nothing to renew your self esteem like getting punched in the mouth by a thirteen year old!!

I actually got so frustrated today that I snapped at someone in my class and then when I got home I felt so bad about it I started crying in the shower. Please understand; there are so many assholes in the world, it's like my life's ambition to be as little of an asshole as possible, and it kills me whenever I do something slightly mean. Kills me.

On another note I have no idea how I stripped the skin off my knuckles this badly; I WAS WEARING GLOVES. Today I threw two punches and immediately gasped in pain because I'd spilt the scabs on my knuckles and started bleeding again. (It was better after I wore band-aids.)

(Reminds me of how annoying it is when people try to rationalize away my fear of needles. When I get cut or bleed in everyday life, I'm just like, Oh. Blood. Ouch. I ignore pain and blood more than I probably should sometimes. Needles are a whole other thing. One time I was in a class and we were doing blood typing kits (I'd opted out weeks ago) but everyone else was doing a finger prick and you can't even see the needle and I wasn't even doing it and I felt like I was about to pass out. It's bad. It's very bad. Everyone is like "It won't hurt that much!" And I'm like "Did I say I was afraid of pain? No! I'm afraid of NEEDLES.")

Malik

Auror
DOTA, I got my ass kicked at a boxing gym a few weeks back by a 14-year old. I'm 46. He got in a lucky punch and I spent the rest of the round just trying to stay vertical. Shit happens.

As for your knuckles, you have to let them scab over and then let the scabs fall off. When that happens, you'll have scars. Then do it again. And again. And again. Eventually the scar tissue builds up and they won't hurt anymore. That's how it is with everything in life.

Krav maga is full of idiots; it's one of the current McDojo flavors of the week and most instructors aren't even doing it right. If it's not working for you, find a martial art that resonates with you. Personally, I found that I enjoy boxing and judo. I enjoyed savate but I was terrible at it; I have short legs and super-long arms and anything that relies on sweeping kicks is a no-go for me. (Seriously; I have a 36 sleeve and a 29 inseam. I look like an orangutan.)

Judo is fun for me because it's a matter of gaining your opponent's confidence and then abusing it. And boxing is three-dimensional full-speed chess with immediate loss/reward. Your thing may not be Krav Maga, or boxing, or whatever. Your thing may end up being one of those flowing dancing-master arts with the ribbons and the aerial kicks where there's no contact. No judgment, here. Martial arts serve two confluent purposes: they make you harder to kill, which they do by making you feel more alive. If yours isn't doing one, then it sure as hell can't do the other.

DOTA, I got my ass kicked at a boxing gym a few weeks back by a 14-year old. I'm 46. He got in a lucky punch and I spent the rest of the round just trying to stay vertical. Shit happens.

As for your knuckles, you have to let them scab over and then let the scabs fall off. When that happens, you'll have scars. Then do it again. And again. And again. Eventually the scar tissue builds up and they won't hurt anymore. That's how it is with everything in life.

Krav maga is full of idiots; it's one of the current McDojo flavors of the week and most instructors aren't even doing it right. If it's not working for you, find a martial art that resonates with you. Personally, I found that I enjoy boxing and judo. I enjoyed savate but I was terrible at it; I have short legs and super-long arms and anything that relies on sweeping kicks is a no-go for me. (Seriously; I have a 36 sleeve and a 29 inseam. I look like an orangutan.)

Judo is fun for me because it's a matter of gaining your opponent's confidence and then abusing it. And boxing is three-dimensional full-speed chess with immediate loss/reward. Your thing may not be Krav Maga, or boxing, or whatever. Your thing may end up being one of those flowing dancing-master arts with the ribbons and the aerial kicks where there's no contact. No judgment, here. Martial arts serve two confluent purposes: they make you harder to kill, which they do by making you feel more alive. If yours isn't doing one, then it sure as hell can't do the other.

Don't get me wrong. It's fun. It's a lot of fun, and that plus kickboxing amounts to a pretty good workout (which is a great thing when your brain is wired like mine.) Seriously, I never thought I would be involved in anything involving physical activity until this. (PE class in 5th grade poisoned me.) It seems that it's as much a mental discipline as physical (also a great thing with my brain wiring.) For me, anyway. I have to concentrate ungodly hard to piece more than one step of a combo together. So there may be some brain re-wiring going on, lol...although "You're thinking too hard" is something I get a lot now.

The knuckles aren't fun in the winter when my knuckles split from the cold anyway, so they don't as much scab over and heal as keep re-opening. Or when washing dishes. Ouch. (I can't say I like washing dishes anyway though.)

Another thing I learned today...My gag reflex and my mouth guard are none too compatible...I was body boxing and all I could think was, "Don't puke. Don't puke. Don't puke."

I don't know if I should give myself more grace (probably nearly always the case) or if I'm just not a natural. I make an idiot of myself a lot.

Some guy: "you new to this?"
Me: "been doing it for 4 months"
Some guy: "...Oh."

^literally a conversation I had

At least I can actually do a push-up now. (I couldn't quite say so several months ago.)

I used to be a blue belt in Karate. I stopped because I was tired of injuring myself, since I always pushed myself too hard to try to please other people [mainly my mum and my sensei].

I'd definitely be a troll, so I guess I'd live somewhere in the forests. Or maybe at Sauron's place. I'm just a huge human being, so.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

ATKH

Scribe
Every time I think I'm over the fact that I couldn't continue boxing, I stumble upon a discussion on martial arts and immediately feel bad.

Two years ago, when I'd just moved to a new place but had plenty of spare time, I decided to join this boxing club not far from school. I'm perpetually broke, so it felt really nice to have a hobby with a yearly fee of about fifty euros. The first month or six-ish weeks were super nice, because I got to do all kinds of tough exercises as warm-up and punching a bag properly made my arms sore. After the initial "my arms hurt all the time" phase I was quick to learn new techniques - I soon had a pretty nice array of punches and managed to stay consistent with footwork.

This is where my greatest problem arose: I was the only girl at the club, so even though I saw guys who'd done a lot less than me get to spar with each other, there was no way anyone would raise a hand (glove) against me because a) getting beat up by a small girl would have been humiliating and b) beating up a small girl would have been humiliating. I tried to soldier on, but eventually dropped off the club before having to pay the membership fee.

Now I've moved to a place with a really decent boxing club nearby, but there is no way for me to join because on weekdays I am usually occupied by school and getting there from 4 am to 5 or 7 pm and spend what little free time I have sleeping and doing necessary housework. Plus this one would cost several hundred euros a year, which is way beyond my budget.

I keep telling myself that one day, when I have a job with money to spare and life is merry, I will return to boxing and/or rugby, the best two sports I've ever tried. But by then I will be old and out of shape.

/rant over

Every time I think I'm over the fact that I couldn't continue boxing, I stumble upon a discussion on martial arts and immediately feel bad.

Two years ago, when I'd just moved to a new place but had plenty of spare time, I decided to join this boxing club not far from school. I'm perpetually broke, so it felt really nice to have a hobby with a yearly fee of about fifty euros. The first month or six-ish weeks were super nice, because I got to do all kinds of tough exercises as warm-up and punching a bag properly made my arms sore. After the initial "my arms hurt all the time" phase I was quick to learn new techniques - I soon had a pretty nice array of punches and managed to stay consistent with footwork.

This is where my greatest problem arose: I was the only girl at the club, so even though I saw guys who'd done a lot less than me get to spar with each other, there was no way anyone would raise a hand (glove) against me because a) getting beat up by a small girl would have been humiliating and b) beating up a small girl would have been humiliating. I tried to soldier on, but eventually dropped off the club before having to pay the membership fee.

Now I've moved to a place with a really decent boxing club nearby, but there is no way for me to join because on weekdays I am usually occupied by school and getting there from 4 am to 5 or 7 pm and spend what little free time I have sleeping and doing necessary housework. Plus this one would cost several hundred euros a year, which is way beyond my budget.

I keep telling myself that one day, when I have a job with money to spare and life is merry, I will return to boxing and/or rugby, the best two sports I've ever tried. But by then I will be old and out of shape.

/rant over

I've never done serious boxing but I've done some at home.

I have never even seen rugby up close, what is it like??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ

Istar
Rugby is awesome. I played prop for many years and it is a fantastic game. Tough, physical, calls for cardio and skill, lots of strategy and the after party is always good. Go Bokies!!!!