• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

La Volpe

Sage
I hadn't even thought of the cave friends! Bats are pretty cute, in my opinion. It's just an alluring idea, isn't it... A nice dark, damp, quiet cave, never have to get up again, just watch the weather go by... I think I have an idea for a vacation.

This cave story (no pun intended, for those who get the pun) just reminds me of a segment in Lost Odyssey (a video game) where an immortal character, since she can't be killed, is instead chained up and left alone in a cave on a deserted island.

No thanks.

Nimue

Auror
This is a voluntary cave experience/reclusion from society, La Volpe! Basically the same as a spa health retreat. Just with more dirt, moss, and crawly things in your hair.

La Volpe

Sage
I rather like the idea of seclusion (being as much of a hermit as most writers allegedly are). Even the memory wiping thing is vaguely appealing (though the seclusion kind of makes it moot, since all the interesting things you could do with no one knowing you is made useless by never talking to anyone again).

But I'd prefer a hut on a mountaintop for my seclusive retreat. I'm not a big fan of caves, for the same reasons I don't like to take naps in air vents that are just barely big enough to fit me.

C

Chessie

Honestly, living in a cave sounds rather awesome for a limited time. Just make sure to leave me some fixings for lanterns, cooking, and getting fresh water. I'll also need a machete, a rifle, some ammo, and chapstick. :D

Cave Story! Ha! That's funny.

Totally unrelated:
It's a big moment. I've never done this before in any story! The couple in my next book might be my first straight couple!

Honestly, living in a cave sounds rather awesome for a limited time. Just make sure to leave me some fixings for lanterns, cooking, and getting fresh water. I'll also need a machete, a rifle, some ammo, and chapstick. :D

And the Foehammer or Goblin Cleaver in case you have to go down down to Goblin Town.

Nimue

Auror

I'm not entirely sure you're getting the hermit meditation vibe here, Chess--no noisemakers, just wasting away silently and probably using snails for lip moisturization. *sage nod*

C

Chessie

I'm not entirely sure you're getting the hermit meditation vibe here, Chess--no noisemakers, just wasting away silently and probably using snails for lip moisturization. *sage nod*

No hunting? How will you eat? Or are you fasting? :D

Nimue

Auror
The original brain-prompt was to rot away in a cave, which is a lot harder if we're bothering about nutritious meals, fresh water, and chapstick... Again, not a practical idea, but one of those appealing 19thc Romantic ones. The sort that vanishes after an early morning without proper breakfast, a la Three Men in a Boat, to Say Nothing of the Dog.

Cave Story! Ha! That's funny.

Totally unrelated:
It's a big moment. I've never done this before in any story! The couple in my next book might be my first straight couple!

First straight couple? Ha! Was about to say I'd never written a non-straight couple. But now I'm not sure if I've written any couple...I keep killing potential love interests...O_O

Oh, there was that one short story...

My poor characters, anyway...

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I really should be asleep right now...
A gentle breeze from Hushabye Mountain
Softly blows o'er lullaby bay.
It fills the sails of boats that are waiting--
Waiting to sail your worries away.
It isn't far to Hushabye Mountain
And your boat waits down by the key.
The winds of night so softly are sighing--
Soon they will fly your troubles to sea.
So close your eyes on Hushabye Mountain.
Wave good-bye to cares of the day.
And watch your boat from Hushabye Mountain
Sail far away from lullaby bay.
From Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

And the Foehammer or Goblin Cleaver in case you have to go down down to Goblin Town.

Sounds like good advice to me. Though I'd also bring Sting, just in case.

First straight couple? Ha! Was about to say I'd never written a non-straight couple. But now I'm not sure if I've written any couple...I keep killing potential love interests..
Would the fact that my couples tend to keep dying be seen as unintentional homophobia? :rolleyes:

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Would the fact that my couples tend to keep dying be seen as unintentional homophobia? :rolleyes:

I would definitely keep that in mind when you write. From what I've heard there aren't many stories with gay couples who both survive and get happy endings, especially lesbian couples. I'm still wary of the "Bury your Gays" trope, with one book in particular in which one of the MC's mentors, who are both POC and LGBT (one is gay, one is bi, and they're a same-sex couple) pulls a "You shall not pass" to allow his boyfriend to get the MC out of reach of the antagonists during the climax. I'm hoping the element of sacrifice will make things easier to swallow, but it's still a worry. I just don't see it as plausible that they both survive.

I would definitely keep that in mind when you write. From what I've heard there aren't many stories with gay couples who both survive and get happy endings, especially lesbian couples. I'm still wary of the "Bury your Gays" trope, with one book in particular in which one of the MC's mentors, who are both POC and LGBT (one is gay, one is bi, and they're a same-sex couple) pulls a "You shall not pass" to allow his boyfriend to get the MC out of reach of the antagonists during the climax. I'm hoping the element of sacrifice will make things easier to swallow, but it's still a worry. I just don't see it as plausible that they both survive.

^Part of why I'm wary of giving the gay guy lead from my graphic novel idea a boyfriend only to have them break up in the end.

But none of the romance subplots or relationships generally in that go well, so...

Let's see, one of the characters is a single dad, one of the characters is an immortal who mourns the loss of her mate, and there's a doomed straight romance as well that ends badly.

But, whatever the story needs, I suppose.

I'm definitely not discriminatory. I ruin EVERYONE's lives. ;)

A gentle breeze from Hushabye Mountain
Softly blows o'er lullaby bay.
It fills the sails of boats that are waiting--
Waiting to sail your worries away.
It isn't far to Hushabye Mountain
And your boat waits down by the key.
The winds of night so softly are sighing--
Soon they will fly your troubles to sea.
So close your eyes on Hushabye Mountain.
Wave good-bye to cares of the day.
And watch your boat from Hushabye Mountain
Sail far away from lullaby bay.
From Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Uh...okaaaaay.

C

Chessie

The original brain-prompt was to rot away in a cave, which is a lot harder if we're bothering about nutritious meals, fresh water, and chapstick... Again, not a practical idea, but one of those appealing 19thc Romantic ones. The sort that vanishes after an early morning without proper breakfast, a la Three Men in a Boat, to Say Nothing of the Dog.

Actually, this reminded me of a t.v. show I watched just recently featuring a cave in Borneo where a man and his adult son went hunting for treasure. The treasure, of course, was none other than the nests of a particular bird species that nests 300 ft above ground. This is how people in that area make money (there's a season for it), and so, the cave is set up with an elaborate system of flimsy ladders. Dad held the ladder while the son went up, criss-crossing here and there...it was terrifying to watch because apparently people do die doing this. Anyway, he made it all the way up, harvested the nests, and made enough money to feed his family for a year and then some. It really makes one value a job that doesn't include maneuvering ladders.

Then again, everyone dies in my books, and since many deaths completely affect the plot, I can't really change it.

But the heroes do get a reasonably happy ending; once their missions are complete, they return to Spirit and ascend.

Last edited:
Today I finally figured out the lyrics to that AC/DC song "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap." It confused me for the longest time. All I could hear was "Dirty deeds and the thunder cheeks..." But thaaaat couldn't be right. :p

Actually, you never know.

Anyway. I can't even tell you how many songs I couldn't understand a word of until I looked up the lyrics. I suppose I sort of suck at hearing things.

Saigonnus

Auror
Today I finally figured out the lyrics to that AC/DC song "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap." It confused me for the longest time. All I could hear was "Dirty deeds and the thunder cheeks..." But thaaaat couldn't be right. :p

Actually, you never know.

Anyway. I can't even tell you how many songs I couldn't understand a word of until I looked up the lyrics. I suppose I sort of suck at hearing things.

It took me a while to understand Brian Johnson too, it is a little garbled sometimes because of how he sings. I have always been good at my listening ability, so don't feel bad. Axl Rose poses a similar challenge.

By the way, there is a parody of that song... "Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk