• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Ireth

Myth Weaver
It took me a while to understand Brian Johnson too, it is a little garbled sometimes because of how he sings. I have always been good at my listening ability, so don't feel bad. Axl Rose poses a similar challenge.

By the way, there is a parody of that song... "Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep."

Let me guess, the parody's by Weird Al Yankovich? :D I think I've heard that one.

It took me a while to understand Brian Johnson too, it is a little garbled sometimes because of how he sings. I have always been good at my listening ability, so don't feel bad. Axl Rose poses a similar challenge.

By the way, there is a parody of that song... "Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With sheep? Hahaha...

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Bit of a question here for the non-europeans lurking around. I was just thinking where my interest for fantasy came from and which led me to the comics I used to read as a kid. I know that I was fascinated with the roman empire back then which might have been the result of my voracious reading of the Asterix comics (had all of them). I'm wondering if these comics are popular outside of Europe as well. I've never seen these comics referenced in English discussions which makes me wonder if they managed to cross the ocean or not.

La Volpe

Sage
Well, I read Asterix comics in both Afrikaans and English over here, but since you can get to Africa without crossing an ocean, it might not have crossed an ocean after all.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Well, I read Asterix comics in both Afrikaans and English over here, but since you can get to Africa without crossing an ocean, it might not have crossed an ocean after all.

A pretty big sea and the length of about one and a half continents isn't too shabby either. Wouldn't have thought that south africa had Asterix as well, although it makes sense that if a good dutch translation can be made that a good afrikaanse translation can also be made.

La Volpe

Sage
Did you guys have Tintin in the Netherlands? We had it in Afrikaans here, but it was called "Die Avonture van Kuifie" because of his hair, ha.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Yep, we call him kuifje. De avonturen van kuifje :)
Another thing I'm wondering. Is Donald Duck also ridiculously popular down in South Africa. When I was a kid almost half the kids were subscribed to the weekly Donald Duck magazine.

La Volpe

Sage
Yep, we call him kuifje. De avonturen van kuifje :)
Another thing I'm wondering. Is Donald Duck also ridiculously popular down in South Africa. When I was a kid almost half the kids were subscribed to the weekly Donald Duck magazine.

Not that I know of. I was pretty hooked on Darkwing Duck and Ducktales when I was a kid, though. Can't remember anything duck being popular enough to warrant a magazine though.

Asterix. Isn't that the little guy who looks like Popeye? I know I've seen the comic before, but it might have only been online.

g09b.gif

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
^Yeah, does he look like Popeye to you? I think he does. A medieval Popeye.

I think you mean that Popeye looks like Asterix :)
There's a bit of a reverse situation here when it comes to popeye. Honestly I can't tell you anything about popeye except the spinach thing. I'm not even sure if he's a comic book character or a tv-show character. The only reason I know of the guy is because of American pop-culture.

La Volpe

Sage
On second look, they do seem to have a similar art style, I guess.

But Asterix (with potion) would kick Popeye's ass.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Not that I know of. I was pretty hooked on Darkwing Duck and Ducktales when I was a kid, though. Can't remember anything duck being popular enough to warrant a magazine though.

Hmm I thought the love for Donald Duck might have been a language thing, but I guess not. Here in the Netherlands the character is popular enough to have weekly magazines in every grocery store, annual holiday books with puzzles and stories for both winter and summer and extra thick comics released roughly every month.

Dutch children seem to hate Mickey Mouse though. That guy gets no love.

C

Chessie

Darkwing Duck is one of the greatest cartoons ever made. Period. (also Tail Spin)