• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Tom

Istar
That seems to be the national pass time.

Wrote this because of the bashful bladder people taking offense to the Rob Lowe Direct tv ad.

Saw that one during Sunday Night Football. It was the Denver Broncos and SanFran 49ers, I think.

The Buffalo Bills are never on Sunday Night Football.

Not that I'm bitter.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Proof that Black Friday is evil! For the first time, I saw Yahoo has a countdown and it said this:
Screen_Shot_2014-11-21_at_5_53_32_PM.png

Eeeeeeviiiiiil!!!!!!^

Does anyone else find the whole joke that the Middle East should be bombed out of existence disturbing? Even if the call for genocide is tongue-in-cheek, it shows to me an extremely racist mentality towards people from that region.

Here's an example of that joke:

middle_857e47_2365721.jpg

So is that island remaining in the middle of the big watery crater where all the oil fields are?? I'm sure whoever made that graphic must have considered that we still need to drive our cars right? :eek:

Hey speaking of maps, here's two that show a difference - one shows the size of countries based on population, the other based on news coverage (and that's for the Guardian too, not the most parochial of news) - boy do south america and asia get screwed.
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/population.png
http://www.viewsoftheworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/GuardianNewsWithoutUK2010to2012_AllStories.jpg

Tom

Istar
Proof that Black Friday is evil! For the first time, I saw Yahoo has a countdown and it said this:
Screen_Shot_2014-11-21_at_5_53_32_PM.png

Eeeeeeviiiiiil!!!!!!^

Do we need proof? I've always known it was evil! It's called Black Friday, isn't it? Like a black witch's cat?

Not that I have anything against black cats. I have one. He's the friendliest cat I've ever met. I've even considered writing a short story about him--something about him being a wizard's familiar.

Animals___Cats_Black_Cat_Maine_Coon_someone_saw_044965_.jpg

SeverinR

Vala
Jealousy is never good,
Jealousy is entitlement to an individual no matter what and lack of trust in that individual to support that entitlement.
No foundation of a relationship can be built around jealousy. It will rear back and destroy anything built to contain it.
The loved must offer it, and promise not to withdrawl it, it can never be expected or demanded.
Jealousy is lust and power, not love and affection.

C

Chessie

Diners should really be nice to their servers. Last time I checked, we're humans too. With feelings. With families we're trying to support by pampering you. And guess what? Customers are almost always wrong. I wish I knew who made that "customers are always right" statement so I could force them to work my job for a day and see what they think afterward.

SeverinR

Vala
Do we need proof? I've always known it was evil! It's called Black Friday, isn't it? Like a black witch's cat?

Not that I have anything against black cats. I have one. He's the friendliest cat I've ever met. I've even considered writing a short story about him--something about him being a wizard's familiar.

Animals___Cats_Black_Cat_Maine_Coon_someone_saw_044965_.jpg
Its not the cat thats bad, its the witch that leads them astray. Apart the witch and the cat are fine. Get them together and the evil comes out.

Tom

Istar
Just wanted to share a weird and rather offensive conversation I had at college this week. No denying this exchange got my blood boiling. I was wishing I had a convenient set of knuckledusters in my backpack.

Scene: The college cafeteria during common hour. I have my lunch tray and I'm about to sit down. This guy I don't know walks up to me and starts talking.

Random Dude: Hey, you're Irish, right?

Me: Yeah... (Absently, because I'm trying to figure out how he knows this. As far as I know, I've never worn my "Erin Go Braugh" shirt to school, and my reddish-blond hair doesn't seem like enough evidence for him to judge on.)

Random Dude: Sweet! That's cool.

Me: Thanks.

Random Dude: So, how many shots can you down? Think you could drink me under the table?

Me: The safe answer would be no, seeing how I'm a lot smaller and lighter than you. (annoyed, because I knew this is where this was going)

Random Dude: That doesn't matter--you're Irish! (jokingly)

Me: I don't drink.

Random Dude: You don't?! Your ancestors must be rolling in their graves right now!

Me: Really? Because I don't give a sh*t if they are.

Random Dude: Wow, you've even got an Irish temper! (jokingly again. Go away, dude.)

Me: (snapping) Can you please take your cultural stereotyping somewhere else? I want to eat my lunch now.

(Dude wanders off looking slightly hurt, likely wondering what he did to offend me. I try to eat and find I'm no longer hungry because I'm stewing mad. End scene.)

Just wanted to share a weird and rather offensive conversation I had at college this week. No denying this exchange got my blood boiling. I was wishing I had a convenient set of knuckledusters in my backpack.

Scene: The college cafeteria during common hour. I have my lunch tray and I'm about to sit down. This guy I don't know walks up to me and starts talking.

Random Dude: Hey, you're Irish, right?

Me: Yeah... (Absently, because I'm trying to figure out how he knows this. As far as I know, I've never worn my "Erin Go Braugh" shirt to school, and my reddish-blond hair doesn't seem like enough evidence for him to judge on.)

Random Dude: Sweet! That's cool.

Me: Thanks.

Random Dude: So, how many shots can you down? Think you could drink me under the table?

Me: The safe answer would be no, seeing how I'm a lot smaller and lighter than you. (annoyed, because I knew this is where this was going)

Random Dude: That doesn't matter--you're Irish! (jokingly)

Me: I don't drink.

Random Dude: You don't?! Your ancestors must be rolling in their graves right now!

Me: Really? Because I don't give a sh*t if they are.

Random Dude: Wow, you've even got an Irish temper! (jokingly again. Go away, dude.)

Me: (snapping) Can you please take your cultural stereotyping somewhere else? I want to eat my lunch now.

(Dude wanders off looking slightly hurt, likely wondering what he did to offend me. I try to eat and find I'm no longer hungry because I'm stewing mad. End scene.)

Wow. If someone said something like that to me I would be mad too. Especially since I'm part German. Which reminds me of one of my friend's conversations. He was talking with some jerk on Xbox live and he was asking if we were part anything and so my friend said, "Yes I'm part German." to which this jerk replies "AHHH! You're a German! You're going to kill all of the blacks!" At his point my friend was fuming and he blocked the player right away. We were mad because of the stereotyping from WWII and not to mention instead of the jewish it was the blacks.

Tom

Istar
I've gotten a lot of crap for being part German as well. I made what I thought would be a friend, but right after he figured out my last name was German, he did the Nazi salute complete with the "Heil Hitler!"

Oooo, I was mad. He and I had a very short and unpleasant talk in which I detailed my German grandfather's service in the Army Airborne Division. Our short-lived friendship was over after that.

And if it's not WWII stereotypes, it's drinking stereotypes. "The Irish are merry drunks". "Germans are angry drunks who always have a stein and a bratwurst in hand". "The Scottish are just drunks". Can't tell you how many times I've seen or heard this stereotype, whether from media, in my friends' jokes and conversations, and even from family members!

SeverinR

Vala
The full illustration of bigotry.
Irish-German, I loved visiting Germany. They made a big mistake, a world whopper. But they are not the same Germany they were then.
Irish, I deplaned in Ireland, didn't see anything but the airport, and was more worried about the Russian plane that had just landed as I got of the plane in uniform.

It seemed like a nice country.

Stereotypes are the average of a whole picture with exagerations. No stereotype fits any individual of any race.(unless that individual is trying to live up to them)
He was a jerk, he was trying to be a jerk.

btw There are merry German drunks (hard to find them when they talk, because the language is so growl-ee.) I have met some angry Irish drunks. Drunks run the gambit and race has little to do with it.
Jerks run the gambit, there is usually a racist name for the jerk of a race, but all races have them.

Tom

Istar
I agree--as much as I love my German heritage, I have to admit that German is a very angry-sounding language. I only speak enough to get by, but just hearing those sounds come out of my own mouth can be a surreal experience. "Why do I sound so ANGRY?"

What bothers me most about stereotypes is when people internalize them and start believing that about themselves. I've known many people of Irish descent who call themselves "Paddys" and say things like, "I've tried to quite drinking, but I'm Irish, so it never works." It's sad to see people who think of themselves as walking stereotypes. It seems like an awful way to live.

SeverinR

Vala
Sadly, I see people living up to established stereotypes.

People born in the 50's and 60's becoming the stereotypical older person, rather then just being the same person getting older.
I don't mean sayings, I mean dressing and acting like old people were when they were young.
Because I have noticed saying things like: "Enjoy your children, they grow up so fast." "This generation's music stinks." "Kids these days..."

I see it in races also.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Being brought up to believe that the world is supposed to be a certain way, it's really hard to break that mould.