• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Tom

Istar
Buffalo has been chilly and wet so far this summer. I'm starting to think that all the Irish immigrants who settled here (including my ancestors) brought their homeland's weather with them.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Well, hell. It's been in the 80's and 90's here in Wenatchee. Yesterday & today it's been cooler. Definitely pays to live in one of the driest spots in the country and I'm surely not missing in rainy cold Alaska or the Olympic Peninsula.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Hey, Chessie! I just drove past, day before yesterday, coming home from Seattle to Kuna, Idaho. Pretty dry over here, too, in the middle of the Great American Desert.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Hey, Chessie! I just drove past, day before yesterday, coming home from Seattle to Kuna, Idaho. Pretty dry over here, too, in the middle of the Great American Desert.
Seattle. Ugh. *shudders*

I hear Idaho is pretty amazing. We almost moved there before we found Chelan. :D

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
We had a Yellow weather alert the other day, for temperatures up to 27 C (80f). It's very warm for Ireland.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I hear Idaho is pretty amazing. We almost moved there before we found Chelan. :D

As with all Western states, it's so big that there's much variety. Northern Idaho is much like around Wenatchee--fir and pine, scattered lakes, plenty of snow in the winter. Southern Idaho, otoh, is desert. Yeah, the Sawtooths are dramatic, but mostly it's a thin layer of soil over basalt and sagebrush for days. This is disguised somewhat by the flow of big rivers--the Salmon, Boise, Payette, and most of all the Snake, which spawns a network of canals and attendant farms. Get five feet beyond the reach of water, and it's back to sagebrush and rattlesnakes. Go a thousand miles south and it looks exactly the same.