1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Random thoughts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SeverinR, May 14, 2013.

1. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

No one ever says crazy dog man. Nor, I should hasten to add, do they speak of a sane cat lady.

I wonder when older woman owning far too many cats became a trope.

2. FifthView

FifthView Istar

I wonder if it's because dogs are pack animals and cats are generally solitary in nature.

3. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Maester

You just have to teach him that none of you own the cats. You're just there for their benefit.

Chessie2 likes this.
  4. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

Not entirely accurate, I'm afraid. Cats live in colonies of individuals related to one another. They are social creatures but also supremely territorial. New cats who are not recognized by the other cats in a colony will be alone because they are not part of the group. The feral colony in our neighborhood shunned a stray who appeared one day back in the spring (he has since been adopted by our neighbors). When we fed the ferals, they would either allow him to eat first and kept their distance, or he ran when they were already eating first. They never interacted except to run away from one another. The stray is social with us while the ferals are social with one another. Think of a lion pride. It works the same way.

At home as pets, it works differently. The cats, not often related, will like certain individuals vs others because they are then housemates instead of family. This is why you'll see them fight even though we consider them to be part of a (human) family.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  5. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Vala

We have a local elderly couple known as the Pigeon Crazies...
    Every day. they feed pigeons, and the occasional sparrow [and once in a while a seagull, apparently].

6. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Maester

Today I saved a snapping turtle. Then named it Bob from Accounting. And I kept all my fingers. Good day.

7. I've got a thing for common garden snails. Whenever one came inside on a lettuce leaf from the garden (usually so tiny we almost didn't notice them until they were drowning in vinaigrette) I'd save them, raise them in a makeshift terrarium then release them back into the wild after they became egg producers. Used to give them the run of the place at night because they never seemed to wander far from their home/food source and you could always find them by the glimmering snail trail they left behind. Most took a turn around the desk or up the wall or a plant and came back or settled in for the night on the underside of a leaf. But then one did venture off somewhere and we never found it and I started to wonder what might happen if one of them got lost inside and then laid their eggs (usually they produce 100 or more at a time) where we could not see/find them. See, like spiders and people, I love the company of one or two. . . but not a hundred.

8. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Vala

Saw this picture this morning...
    Storm King
    [​IMG]
    And I want to WRITE A STORY!!!

9. Jackarandajam

Jackarandajam Troubadour

A life is made peaceful by one deciding, shrewdly, which lies are passably safe to believe.