• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

I know I have not the greatest writing habit, but it's strange when I write almost a thousand words for some papers for a short presentation on fish and fishing of all things for work and can't put any other writing to pen. So to speak. On the other hand, presentation and fishing afterwards.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
I've been playing with Japanese cooking and finding it simpler than I realized it could be. At first, it seemed so intimidating. I'm really enjoying the bento box lunches and I went ahead and ordered some seaweed wraps from Amazon to make wraps and sushi. Want to try the sandwiches next, eventually the curries. It's my new creative feat, lol.

I've been playing with Japanese cooking and finding it simpler than I realized it could be. At first, it seemed so intimidating. I'm really enjoying the bento box lunches and I went ahead and ordered some seaweed wraps from Amazon to make wraps and sushi. Want to try the sandwiches next, eventually the curries. It's my new creative feat, lol.
I love cooking new stuff. I am on a huge smoking kick. Made a brisket for Easter. It was delightful.

Futhark

Inkling
Oh, it was just a game my son was watching. There’s a bit of satire involved I think; the Skeletons keep ‘losing their head’, cause it’s not attached, all the archers wear eyepatches, stuff like that. It wasn’t a serious observation :) but I have a head cold and lots of work to do, so I’m procrastinating.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Oh, it was just a game my son was watching. There’s a bit of satire involved I think; the Skeletons keep ‘losing their head’, cause it’s not attached, all the archers wear eyepatches, stuff like that. It wasn’t a serious observation :) but I have a head cold and lots of work to do, so I’m procrastinating.
The number of times I've nearly had my eye poked out by someone [absolutely not me:whistle:] not paying attention when using a bow... I'm not surprised. :)

According to a kid, apparently I, as a common park worker can put people into 'Baseball Jail'. I have great powers for a non-sworn. And baseball jails.

Some context: I was locking up parks and told people still there that I was going to lock them in.

Futhark

Inkling
^ Sounds like the government officials we have. It’s not what they’re legally allowed to do, but what they can get away with. So if they’ll let you lock them in, I say ‘Go for Gold’.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Just read that Roky Erickson has died. About three years ago I had the chance to see him perform in London. But some family event [that doesn't seem so important in hindsight] meant I had to give away my ticket. And if you need to know why I'm so upset...
Two Headed Dog

I know a bunch of you said I would grow out of liking first person and I insisted it wouldn’t happen, but now so many of my writing projects are multi-POV that first person is practically unviable, so...congrats, you were at least partially right? I have no wish to figure out how to distinguish three different first person narrators in a single book and I would hate that passionately as a reader.

But in all honesty, with Red Nights I am now annoyed with my protagonist’s voice and want to distance myself from it, and I’m considering multiple POV’s. Endless Sky, on the other hand, is going to be narrated as the protagonist telling the story of her life in her old age to the listener/reader, so first person works perfect there.

Something about the MC of red nights just makes all previous iterations of her unbearable to reread; she just seems immature and way too impulsive to be alive every time I write her. Also, I was going through a depressive episode when I wrote that last draft and now I don’t care for it to be so dark and edgy. Actually I don’t care for grimdark. The Lies of Locke Lamora is a good example of how to pull off a dark, violent, Edgy tale without being depressing and woe-is-me.

I wish I could pull off 3rd omni but tbh that feels like TOO much distance sometimes and how do I hold onto a consistent Narrator Voice

I used to prefer having one protagonist and on some levels I still do, but my last couple projects had multiple and I really like the freedom of being able to switch POV’s, and explore multiple personalities/characters in one book. Being in one character’s head all the time can be tiring. I *do* think one POV character should be the default because reading a story that switches between three POV characters when it’s not even necessary is a chore, especially when the author cultivates subplots for the supporting characters to hold them up that aren’t even needed...

There are times I think I'm weird, and times when not so much.

But I really liked the new CATS trailer. Why are so many freaking out about it? Not scary in the least, and rather magical in its way.

There are times I think I'm weird, and times when not so much.

But I really liked the new CATS trailer. Why are so many freaking out about it? Not scary in the least, and rather magical in its way.

I would need to combine my medications in a most discouraged way to dream something like that fevered nightmare of tiny crawling naked people.