• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Philster401

Maester
The love potion was definitely part of the way Voldemort turned out the way he did, but I think there was a lot more to it than that. Maybe if he'd been adopted by a loving family rather than left in an orphanage -- and a Muggle orphanage to boot -- who can say what he would have been like? This is one more thing that makes him a foil for Harry; Harry grew to be kindhearted and loving despite the Dursleys' neglect and abuse, while Riddle/Voldemort was twisted and corrupt from start to finish.

JK Rowling has stated that voldemort couldn't love because he was conceived under a love potion.

JK Rowling has stated that voldemort couldn't love because he was conceived under a love potion.

I didn't know that - this sends shivers down my spine. What a HORRIBLE potion a love potion is. Its like destroying a soul - I can't think of anything worse. The death curse or poison don't come close.

I prefer Ireth's interpretation, that's something that appeals to our humanity at least. I wonder why the author decided to make a potion the reason for Voldemort's behaviour.

I swear he says twenty words for every one of mine! I can't get a word in edgewise when we're talking, because he only pauses for breath between paragraphs!

Oh god that was me in my twenties <cringe> I've since learnt the art of shutting up, so there is hope for him. You might have to wait a few years though, which is a LOT of words in between!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
It's 4/4 and post #444. That means it's 4-stanza-poetry time!

* ahem *

Addison Lane works for Karl Dragonsbane.
Her name means "awesome warrior."

She cuts off wyvern's tails and dons their scales
Though she prefers to wear things furrier.

She steals dragon eggs and hobbles away
As fast as her legs can carry her

To the home for insane on Addison Lane.
Its name means "awesome warrior."

Addison-Lane-Apartments-Gainesville-FL-Entrance-01.jpg
3540294_64.jpg

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
PS - Stealing eggs and "hobbling" makes sense if you've played Monster Hunter.

^His name does not mean "awesome warrior."

Last edited by a moderator:

skrite

Scribe
I didn't know that - this sends shivers down my spine. What a HORRIBLE potion a love potion is. Its like destroying a soul - I can't think of anything worse. The death curse or poison don't come close.

I prefer Ireth's interpretation, that's something that appeals to our humanity at least. I wonder why the author decided to make a potion the reason for Voldemort's behaviour.

I did not know this either, but Ditto !

skrite

Scribe
I thnk that its cool how JK kept her worlds seperated. I loved how the Potter books played out, but I also always kinda wondered what turn the story would have taken if Harry carried a colt 0.45 along with his wand.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Went to the area's sole general bookstore today. Five sets of shelves dedicated to fantasy - four of them geared to YA fantasy. Several of the YA books are now movies, or soon will be. A couple of them dealt with concepts I've been meaning to get to since forever, it seems. I wonder if there is a message in this...

In my local bookstores GRRM dominates. There's also the usual Robert Jordan, Raymond E Feist and David Eddings - none of which look like they'll be made into movies anytime soon. Its amazing how these old series are still very much popular.

I was reading my local newspaper today about my favorite football team's spring practices and I realized how far away next season is. That makes me sad.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
Help me. Yesterday at our Easter party, my cousin played Weird Al's song "Weasel Stomping Day" on his iPod and now I can't get it out of my head! Probably the worst earworm I've ever encountered.

Tom

Istar
You people are making it worse! Don't worry, though, I don't have long to suffer. Tonight I'm going to watch Battle of Five Armies (if all goes as planned) for the first time, so I'll have the score stuck in my head.

I'd just like to say my favorite phrase ever is "I'm up to my ass in alligators." And I have no idea why. I think it's just the image of a man in a hole of alligators that literally reaches up to his posterior.