• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

ArenRax

Sage
I had a dream where I was hanging out with Yoda, Mace Windu, and a few other padawans and I had a lightsaber and we were on some cool alien city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
I want to hang out with the crazy Scottish Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi. He's probably my favorite character in all of Star Wars.

skrite

Scribe
I am very excited. I finally figured out how to fix a problem with my WIP that has had me stuck for over a month. Lost too much hair over this thing, and now, I am back in the game !

Hanging out with Obi Wan! He is definitely the coolest character in the new Star Wars episodes.

The thing is I'd have to ask him if I could have a go with his lightsaber and I reckon he'd probably say no, mutter something about jedi training and safey blah blah blah. I'm crushed already.

Reactions: Tom

SeverinR

Vala
Don't know about the new star wars epsiodes, but of Star wars rebels,
Sabine is my favorite, attitude, loves to blow sh-stuff up, and is cute.

So it rained mud yesterday in Utah. Dust storms in the West Desert kicked dust into the atmosphere, then the rains fell and picked up the dirt. You had to use your wiper fluid to clear the droplets otherwise you were driving with a mud soaked windshield. It was gross. Guess what, it's snowing now. Not sure which is worse tbh.

It's almost winter here in the south-west of Australia - we get cool wet winters. I love the rain here - it's so CLEAN. I spent a few years in Abu Dhabi in the Middle East and it rained only a few times in a year - when it did, it cleared out the dust in the air and dumped it as mud on your car - time for a car wash!

When we arrived back in Australia last year my eldest son was not used to the frequent rains of a temperate climate - he opened the car window and let it come in. I said "hey its going to get wet inside" to which he replied "but it might not rain for ages, I want to feel it". I couldn't help but smile - the diversity of our planet!

Tom

Istar
I stumbled upon a really incredible corner of the world that not many people know about. It's the Broad Street Aqueduct in Rochester, NY, an abandoned aqueduct that originally carried the Erie Canal over the Genesee River. The bridge on the top level of the aqueduct is still used, but the aqueduct itself is drained dry now, and the arches and walls inside are covered in graffiti.

zJOyIql.jpg

Beautiful, right? I love art like this--the unexpected, the relatively unknown, the sort that makes you feel like you're keeping a good secret. The sort of art that you encounter on an ordinary day and have to take a second glance at. Art like this takes an old thing that's outlasted its usefulness and makes it beautiful again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where else to post this. I hope it doesn't come across as too arrogant.

Mythic Scribes is by far the least flamey site I post on. There are a few topics that piss people off and lead into circular arguments, but a lot of the time, I'm the one bringing them up. And since most of the flamiest posters have left, I'm now the poster most likely to start arguments. I also have a tendency to panic and think a flame war is going to start when it's not, which confuses and frustrates other posters.

This is not at all my intention. I find this site, relaxing, a place to get away from all the arguments on other sites. From here on out, I'm going to try to cause less friction.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
And since most of the flamiest posters have left, I'm now the poster most likely to start arguments.

For what it's worth - that's not how I see it.
Sure, you may have opinions I don't understand or agree with, but from what I can tell you're posting your questions with the intention of trying to understand, rather than to provoke.

Zephyr

Scribe
Conflict is fine, and should be encouraged as it allows us to strengthen our convictions and question our beliefs, but the key is to treat people with respect.

I stumbled upon a really incredible corner of the world that not many people know about. It's the Broad Street Aqueduct in Rochester, NY, an abandoned aqueduct that originally carried the Erie Canal over the Genesee River. The bridge on the top level of the aqueduct is still used, but the aqueduct itself is drained dry now, and the arches and walls inside are covered in graffiti.

zJOyIql.jpg

Beautiful, right? I love art like this--the unexpected, the relatively unknown, the sort that makes you feel like you're keeping a good secret. The sort of art that you encounter on an ordinary day and have to take a second glance at. Art like this takes an old thing that's outlasted its usefulness and makes it beautiful again.

Thanks for this find. I have been looking for some nice "underground" urban settings for reference for video game levels.

Tom

Istar
You're welcome! It's amazing how many times I've driven over that bridge without knowing what was underneath.

I have a story set in Rochester, and I wanted the protagonists to go somewhere unusual and sort of "off the grid" for one scene. I think the aqueduct is a great setting for that.