• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Don't have any toonies on me at the moment, so it'll most likely be a quarter. :D

I miss chatting with you too. How've you been?

Reaver

Staff
ARGGH! Canadian quarters!! At first glance they look like U.S. quarters. Then I try to buy a soda from a vending machine.

KA-KLINK!! Rejected!! I look at the coin and "F**K F**K F**K!!!!!"

I search my pockets for another U.S. quarter and no luck. I'm forced to put in a bunch of dimes and nickels.

But I digress...

I'm doing well dear friend! How are you?

When we flip a coin in the U.S. we sometimes ask: "Heads or Tails?"

What do you ask in Canada? "Mother Goose or Mean ol' Moose?"

:D

Last edited:

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I'm doing well, myself! I'm living with my parents again, mostly to help out with looking after my youngest siblings (though also partly because city life just didn't work out for a number of reasons). Mom's not as mobile as she'd like to be, and Dad's away most of the week for work, which is where I come in. It keeps me busy, if nothing else. :) Though I do wish I could find part-time work to rack up some savings. I've applied just about everywhere I can think of, and no luck. :(

How about you? Any interesting news (or just new news) on your end?

Reaver

Staff
Sometimes it's very nice to be back home with loved ones. Not much news from my end. I went back to work in Montenegro for about a year then the company's owners decided to liquidate all assets.

I came home and moved back to Pennsylvania where I was born and raised. That's about it really. Been writing short stories and started working on my fantasy trilogy.

I wish you all the best in your job search.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thanks, man!

Ooh, Pennsylvania! I've been there! Just once, on a business trip with my dad years ago. Sadly don't remember it too much.

What sort of stuff have you been writing lately?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
That sounds fantastic! Legal issues might be tricksy, though. The Tolkien Estate seems to have a pretty tight hold of their property, and I dunno how generous thy'd be with rights and such. I once proposed to them my idea for a musical version of the Silmarillion, but I got a polite "no". The libretto is still sitting in my laptop, gathering metaphorical dust. As of yet I don't have a score or a composer for it.

Pennsylvania is a beautiful place. Lived there for in various locations throughout central and western PA. I wouldn't mind going back again. Best times to visit are when it's blossoming or in the fall.

Tom

Istar
We visited Erie, Pennsylvania when I was younger. Swimming in Lake Erie was fun, but it was during the period when the lake water was really, really polluted, so I got sick immediately afterwards. Not the best memory...

Incanus

Auror
Non sequitur--I got some sleep last night! Glorious, beautiful sleep. Finally. Ahhhhhhh, so much better! Taking in some food and taking it easy today. I'm even craving chicken noodle soup. Plan on going back to work tomorrow.

buyjupiter

Maester
ARGH. Last night there was a Scorpion Incident (tm) at 1AM. I might be responsible for bringing the scorpion into the house, but inadvertently, mind.

We live in a desert. Lots of lovely critters that try to kill ya. And we keep our sodas out in the garage because of lack of storage in the house. I brought a soda in late last night, and felt something stiff and thin on the side of the can. I thought it was glue, like sometimes gets attached to soda cans, so I brushed it off and thought nothing more of it.

Until I discovered all the cats huddled around something in the middle of the night, playing with it. It was a scorpion. I'm terrified of scorpions for two reasons: a) they're arachnids and I don't do arachnids of any flavor and b) they could kill my cats.

So I grabbed a shoe and killed it. The cats are fine--I checked them out every 20 minutes or so for a couple of hours to be sure. The house is sprayed again, but...I found out there is probably a nest of scorpions out in the garage.

*stands up on chair and screams*

I'm not dealing with it. Uh-uh. No way. No how. Last night was unusual because of the clear and present danger to the kitties. But you want me to go out into the garage and--ON PURPOSE--mess with a scorpion nest?

*faints*

ARGH. Last night there was a Scorpion Incident (tm) at 1AM. I might be responsible for bringing the scorpion into the house, but inadvertently, mind.

We live in a desert. Lots of lovely critters that try to kill ya. And we keep our sodas out in the garage because of lack of storage in the house. I brought a soda in late last night, and felt something stiff and thin on the side of the can. I thought it was glue, like sometimes gets attached to soda cans, so I brushed it off and thought nothing more of it.

Until I discovered all the cats huddled around something in the middle of the night, playing with it. It was a scorpion. I'm terrified of scorpions for two reasons: a) they're arachnids and I don't do arachnids of any flavor and b) they could kill my cats.

So I grabbed a shoe and killed it. The cats are fine--I checked them out every 20 minutes or so for a couple of hours to be sure. The house is sprayed again, but...I found out there is probably a nest of scorpions out in the garage.

*stands up on chair and screams*

I'm not dealing with it. Uh-uh. No way. No how. Last night was unusual because of the clear and present danger to the kitties. But you want me to go out into the garage and--ON PURPOSE--mess with a scorpion nest?

*faints*

You know I think this could turn into an interesting short story, but the scorpions are really demons, and bent on consuming the souls of your kitties, possessing them, and moving on up the food chain to humans. It could be a good horror dealy whosits. As an aside, is there an exterminator that handles scorpions in your area? Because if not the only way to get rid of the suckers if to light your house on fire (this is a joke not actual advice).

buyjupiter

Maester
The one thing I know of scorpions...the little ones are more dangerous.

Oh yes. This one was 2 1/2-3 inches, so most likely adult. I think. NOT looking it up to see if I'm correct. *shudders at thoughts of google image search*

The reason that the little ones are more deadly is because they're the baby scorpions. Baby scorpions haven't learned how not to inject all their venom in one go, so it's more deadly because its more concentrated. (Although I'm sure there are some species that are all little bitty versions and extremely deadly. Again, not looking it up to find out.)

Of course, in my head, it was six feet long and it breathed fire.

buyjupiter

Maester
You know I think this could turn into an interesting short story, but the scorpions are really demons, and bent on consuming the souls of your kitties, possessing them, and moving on up the food chain to humans. It could be a good horror dealy whosits. As an aside, is there an exterminator that handles scorpions in your area? Because if not the only way to get rid of the suckers if to light your house on fire (this is a joke not actual advice).

Hmm. As I said on twitter last night: not responsible for nightmares incurred from the posts. (And surprisingly, I didn't have any dreams last night. Thank God.) If you do write this up, let me know, because I might be interested in reading it--I like horror books. I'm definitely not going to, because I'd feel the need to do research on scorpions. Aaaaand, I so don't need to be stuck at my writing desk with my head between my knees hyperventilating because I saw the biggest and most badass of scorpions and they live in my area. (Reading about them is one thing, seeing them? Something totally different.)

Do you think flamethrower+garage might be overkill? Because that's where the nest is. I don't think I have anything out in the garage that I want *that* badly, as that stuff is mostly out in the storage unit. *googles how to build flamethrower*

We did spray the outside of the house and all doors leading into the house, so that should do the trick for the immediate future. And trust you me, I'm examining all the cans before I bring them into the house now. Just because I touched a scorpion with my bare hands last night and didn't get stung doesn't mean that I won't in the future. *shudder & washes hands again just to be safe*

Yeah. I know. I'm pretty bad with the arachnophobia, but let me have this. I'm afraid of three things in this life (arachnids, heights, and planes) but generally speaking because the odds are really good that those three things can be deadly. And I *have* been bitten by a spider before--unfortunately did not develop superpowers as that would've been awesome, but I did get a nasty infection.

On the topic of flipping coins. I have a special coin I brought back with me from the Czech republic that I use to solve my story's conflicts. One side has a bohemian lion and the other has a crown, so I either feed my characters to the lions or do the noble thing.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
ByJup.png

@buyjupiter,
Arachnophobia is completely rational when it comes to scorpions. Glad you and the cats are okay!

Jabrosky

Banned
So I'm taking an Adobe Flash class at Mira Costa College in Oceanside, CA, and I've settled on my big final project being a Flash-animated official website for the Roman legion. Think of it as an ancient Roman version of the US Army's official website.

I plan to have drop-down menus providing prospective legionaries with information on weaponry and other equipment, expectations for camp life and patrolling, fighting techniques and battle tactics, locations of select legionary stations, and maybe some kind of "Most Wanted" list with mugshots of Rome's historical enemies (as if they were terrorists in the vein of Osama bin Laden) back in the day.

Right now it's the station locations and "Most Wanted" sections I'm most excited about. With the exception of one station in Rome itself, they'll all be positioned along the Roman Empire's periphery, with each location's "subpage" coming with its own music loop to set the regional mood. Right now my must-haves are:

* Rome, the great imperial capital, for those legionaries who'd prefer to keep the peace within walking distance of the circus. Sample music
* Britain, a frigid northern hinterland of fierce redheaded white tribesmen (and women). Sample music
* Judea, a sandy desert festering with rebellious religious zealots with a flaming desire to push their infidel oppressors into the sea. Sample music
* Carthage, built on the rubble of the old Afro-Phoenician colony, and now a sun-blessed beach city with palm trees and a rich, multicultural heritage. The locals will be agreeably mellow as long as you don't invoke that Hannibal bwoy's name, mon. In which case, they won't even pity you, fool. Sample music
* Egypt, the mouth of Africa and the Empire's breadbasket; an ancient land of crumbled ruins, dangerous wildlife, and restless cheerful natives who want to take their civilization back and wash their spears in the oppressors' blood know their place and are always happy to serve usurping barbarians who smell like wet dogs their benevolent Roman masters. Sample music
* Hunnic Steppes, the open grasslands east of the Empire's northern periphery, which are being overrun by a horde of warlike Asian horsemen. Sample music

Last edited:

Tom

Istar
@buyjupiter: Eek. Hope you can get someone to take care of the scorpions!

Luckily, here in the Northeast we don't have nearly as many poisonous/venomous/downright nasty creepy-crawlies trying to get at you. No scorpions. No black widow or brown recluse spiders. No cottonmouths or copperheads. However, we do have the Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake, a lovely specimen who hangs out mainly in marshy areas around the Great Lakes (most notably the Byron-Bergen Swamp) and whose anti-venom is typically not stocked in local hospitals because it's so hard to find. Yay.

We also have timber rattlers in the Allegany foothills, and those are even nastier. They're considered one of North America's most dangerous venomous snakes, and they know it. The little demons are fast and aggressive. I once came upon a nest of them, and just kind of froze in panic, then hurriedly backed away. Thankfully, they didn't notice me, and from then on I've always worn heavy boots when hiking, just in case. Ick.