• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Which one?
The original? The sequals, the next Karate kid? the remake(Karate kid 2010(Kung fu kid)?
Karate kid, Karate kid 2(Revenge of Cobra-kai), Karate kid (goes to Okinawa) 3,Karate kid 4(Next Karate kid) Karate kid 5 (Kung fu kid with Jayden Smith and Jackie Chan)

The First one. The others are okay to awful.

I learned a lesson about the value of silence ...

My family and I were watching something called Weird Inheritance and 2 guys on the show inherited their father's menagerie- a lifetime collection of taxidermy specimens. Almost unanimously, my family agrees there "must be something wrong with you" if taxidermy (or the mere thought of it) doesn't creep you out. I'm open with accepting death (as much as any self-preserving mortal being can be) so I really don't mind. I would never judge someone for just for having a hobby like that and while I would probably never try to learn it, I think it's a pretty neat thing. It's not all that different from bone collections in museums. For future generations, it might even be able to preserve creatures that will someday be extinct ... It's almost like freezing the hands of time and preserving (at least the appearance) of the animal indefinitely. I think people's discomfort with it is deeply tied to our discomfort over the reality that we too will die. But if you can bring yourself to truly accept that then there's really no reason why it should make you uncomfortable. So they were quiet as - I sat there trying to explain all of this and just when I thought they understood - that I had somehow convinced even just one of them to be just a tiny bit more open-minded - they turn me and say "ew. You're sick."

2 lessons learned ...
A. Some opinions are best kept to yourself.
B. My family will always think I'm weird.

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
"Her legs are so warm!"

This is what my five-year-old exclaimed after hugging Cinderella at Disney World.

The next day, it was 102˚F, so everyone's legs were warm. My five-year-old asked me where Cinderella sleeps. I said, "I dunno. I guess she goes home and goes to bed." My five-year-old said, "I think she sleeps in the castle." I offered no argument.

Started school today, lots of fun there, and my first major reading assignment is a medieval text (Summa Theologica) I've fallen asleep twice trying to read this. Heaven help me. Although the class I am reading it for has given me a couple of story ideas. Looks like I won't be on Mythic Scribes much for the next couple of months. Don't let the fort fall while I'm gone. ;)

Trick

Auror
Started school today, lots of fun there, and my first major reading assignment is a medieval text (Summa Theologica) I've fallen asleep twice trying to read this. Heaven help me. Although the class I am reading it for has given me a couple of story ideas. Looks like I won't be on Mythic Scribes much for the next couple of months. Don't let the fort fall while I'm gone. ;)
Are you at a Catholic University? Can't imagine anywhere else assigning The Summa. It's one of the greatest works of all time but I'll admit also one of the most droll.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Are you at a Catholic University? Can't imagine anywhere else assigning The Summa. It's one of the greatest works of all time but I'll admit also one of the most droll.

I should be more specific. I am taking a jurisprudence class. I am reading articles 90-96 or so. It's a bit dense, but I found that reading the answer and on the contrary first then reading the objections with their corresponding responses works to help my understanding. But it did give me a story idea where a person takes on the "essence" of a corporation making the corporation a "person." No idea what'll happen with it, but I'm going to let it marinate for awhile and see what happens.

Russ

Istar
I should be more specific. I am taking a jurisprudence class. I am reading articles 90-96 or so. It's a bit dense, but I found that reading the answer and on the contrary first then reading the objections with their corresponding responses works to help my understanding. But it did give me a story idea where a person takes on the "essence" of a corporation making the corporation a "person." No idea what'll happen with it, but I'm going to let it marinate for awhile and see what happens.

Terrible choice for a jurisprudence class. Just horrible. Wave your finger disapprovingly at your instructor for me...

Trick

Auror
Terrible choice for a jurisprudence class. Just horrible. Wave your finger disapprovingly at your instructor for me...
Those chapters specifically apply to jurisprudence though... So, how is it a terrible choice? I would imagine that introducing various viewpoints would help students form their own opinion. Isn't that what learning is all about?

Russ

Istar
Those chapters specifically apply to jurisprudence though... So, how is it a terrible choice? I would imagine that introducing various viewpoints would help students form their own opinion. Isn't that what learning is all about?

I could go on for a while on this one.

The first reason is that is is very distance from modern jurisprudencial theory, and so pretty in applicable for your modern student.

The next would be exactly as mentioned above, to the modern reader it is a snore fest. Once could choose literally hundreds of more interesting texts on the subject for most students.

Thirdly it is inaccessible. It is hard to read and dig through meaning that your value for time invested for the beginning/intermediate student is pretty low.

Fourthly it is an original source, which are very hard to interpret correctly without a proper background in the period and period thought, usually learned through quality secondary sources.

Fifthly, for a modern law student, it is impractical. I pity the fool who cites it in argument in a courtroom today.

Unless you are studying theology it really is a specialized little text in its own little sub world with on generalized application. It would be like me insisting that the the Battle of the River Kalka in its original be taught in an undergrad course on european mililtary history (come to think of it the argument for Kalka is better I suspect...).

I am all for the study of the Summa, and I am all for studying different approaches to jurisprudence, but I don't think the Summa is a good choice for a text in either an undergrad course or law school course in jurisprudence. I have my suspicions why the instructor might have chosen it, but they are not pleasant ones.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I am all for the study of the Summa, and I am all for studying different approaches to jurisprudence, but I don't think the Summa is a good choice for a text in either an undergrad course or law school course in jurisprudence. I have my suspicions why the instructor might have chosen it, but they are not pleasant ones.

There is a "this is the development of jurisprudence" argument. But in my experience, works like Summa are usually chosen to criticize them.

There is a "this is the development of jurisprudence" argument. But in my experience, works like Summa are usually chosen to criticize them.

Which is exactly what is going to happen in a couple of weeks. The Summa is making a natural law argument, pretty soon we're going to figure out why natural law has fallen so far out of favor.

Russ

Istar
Which is exactly what is going to happen in a couple of weeks. The Summa is making a natural law argument, pretty soon we're going to figure out why natural law has fallen so far out of favor.

Or not. The funny thing about natural law is that is the true underpinning of modern international human rights laws...which I hope are not too out of favour.

It is also the foundation of "procedural fairness", and a number of other concepts still very much key to modern justice. But many people just don't like to talk about that.

Or not. The funny thing about natural law is that is the true underpinning of modern international human rights laws...which I hope are not too out of favour.

It is also the foundation of "procedural fairness", and a number of other concepts still very much key to modern justice. But many people just don't like to talk about that.

I'm not too sure about that. Seems to me legal thought, especially in the US, is trending more and more towards legal positivism. Justices and others may try to couch their opinions by using natural law arguments, but I'm more convinced they believe that the law is what they say it is and not that they are trying to reveal the true order of the universe.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Best quotes from my Disney Trip:

Sabina, age 5: "Her legs are so warm!" (after hugging Cinderella)

Hannah, age 2: "Watch me play a game." Hannah stands on the rock near hole #9 at the resorts mini golf course. She jumps off, botches the landing, and drops to her knees. "See? I fell off the game."

Ameila, age 7: "You know when grown-ups say that, it takes away all the fun." (in response to me saying, "You realize the princesses are just actresses, right?")

Here are pics of the kids in costume—which they only wore at night, not in the hot sun, which is why they weren't crying while dressed up.

11870908_10153011451641434_3740921345897894224_n.jpg

And here's my favorite quote from a Disney employee. This was at the Laugh Floor, a Monsters Inc.-themed improv show where the monsters call on people in the audience. The first monster is a two-headed monster named Mac and Cheese.

Mac & Cheese: "Next up is the two-headed human!"

The two-headed human was me and Sabina. She was sitting in my lap. All we had to do was set up the monsters by answering questions and letting them run with it. I saluted when Mac (or was he Cheese?) sang the national anthem of Leominster. But of course it's the monsters that do all the funny stuff while audience members just kinda play along. If you're ever in Disney World I highly recommend the Laugh Floor.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ugh...spent most of the last three days in airports or on airplanes.

Took a bloody funeral to get me out of Alaska. But is it really a service when only two people show up? (Granted the third guy is a firefighter and half of California is going up in smoke, but the rest...'issues upstairs' about sums it up.)

Need sleep.

Guys college football is back and my team beat Michigan last night. I am happy. Plus, my boy wore football jammies last night and he looked totes adorbs as the young folk say.

Tom

Istar
The Buffalo Bills lost last night by one measly touchdown. And it was supposed to be a home game, but they had to play at the Lions because the Ralph Wilson was hosting a One Direction concert. That's right. My team was pushed out of their home stadium by a British boy band.

Hopefully last night won't set the tone for the entire season. It probably will, though. Bleh.

Tom

Istar
Yes. Exactly. It's the Bills, so undoubtedly they will continue to play in their typical haphazard, penalty-strewn fashion throughout the entire season.