• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Went to a stadium fireworks show with my wife and kid. Put some noise cancellers on the boy and he slept right through Journey and woke up for the fireworks. He apparently got his entertainment priorities from his mother (who's favorite thing in the world is a good fireworks show) and not me (who would take Journey over fireworks any day of the ding dong week). And the firework show reinforced my thought how I need to write a scene where two people are fighting in the midst of fireworks because that would be awesome.

NHIziux.jpg

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
  • Saturday night - my wife and I saw a ThinkPad ad. I wondered aloud if my next laptop should NOT be a Mac.
  • Honest to God, in the next minute - I went to my Mac and it crashed in a scary way. I told my wife I must've hurt my Mac's feelings or pissed it off.
  • Sunday - after crashing for the 4th time, I could not restart my Mac.
  • Yesterday - I left my house at 12:15 to go to my 1:00 appointment at the Genius Bar.
  • Six Hours Later - I went home as the proud owner of a 1Tb external drive and a working laptop. My wife, who had met me at the store, was surprised that I was charged only for the external drive and not for the service. She suggested we stick to using Macs.

• Today - catching up with my online course. I better get out of MS for now and get on with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Macs may not be the most technologically advanced machines but my old girl has been running well for five years straight now, very little problems. If I have the choice I'm getting another when Heniretta (my Mac) goes the way of all the earth.

Aspasia

Sage
Trying to get a writing group started IRL. Also trying to join a tiny SFF book club that apparently exists in my area too. No responses. Argh! All I want to do is talk about fantasy and scifi with real live humans in real life. Hoping I will get some responses ... it's super hard to start any kind of group and get people to actually come out and do stuff. You'd think there would be at least a few SFF nerds around here!

Oh well, maybe they're just really shy. Respond, please!

Trick

Auror
Trying to get a writing group started IRL. Also trying to join a tiny SFF book club that apparently exists in my area too. No responses. Argh! All I want to do is talk about fantasy and scifi with real live humans in real life. Hoping I will get some responses ... it's super hard to start any kind of group and get people to actually come out and do stuff. You'd think there would be at least a few SFF nerds around here!

Oh well, maybe they're just really shy. Respond, please!

Perhaps you should put up your location so other Scribes who are located near you can see that and reach out?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Tried this joke on FaceBook yesterday:

I'll be signing books tomorrow at Barnes & Noble, South Coast Plaza at 6PM tomorrow.

Probably best to show up early. Before mall security throws me out.

I thought the joke was easily apparent, but at least half the people commenting missed it completely.

Made me feel a bit bad as they were so supportive. On the other hand, they don't read carefully but want a signed copy.

Not sure how I feel about that.

Incanus

Auror
Oh, joy, I get to go to the dentist today--

I wonder if my mouth will still be numb by the time I start on part 5 of my novella for editing later in the evening.

So archaeologists have discovered cheese dating back to ~1600 B.C. And the only thing I could think of was,

Last edited by a moderator:
Something has always bugged me about bioshock.

I have never finished the game. But Yes I know pretty much everything about it. The whole " would you kindly" was the reason I never finished. Every time I would be asked I'd try not to do it but the game would always make you do it. So I got to a point where I was like "well if you are going to give me options but all the options are "do it," "do it," "do it" then I'm not going to play this game." and would promptly turn it off.

Now since the meaning behind the game is illusion of choice. In me turning it off does that mean I broke their game?

Also I'm no slave.

X Equestris

Maester
Something has always bugged me about bioshock.

I have never finished the game. But Yes I know pretty much everything about it. The whole " would you kindly" was the reason I never finished. Every time I would be asked I'd try not to do it but the game would always make you do it. So I got to a point where I was like "well if you are going to give me options but all the options are "do it," "do it," "do it" then I'm not going to play this game." and would promptly turn it off.

Now since the meaning behind the game is illusion of choice. In me turning it off does that mean I broke their game?

Also I'm no slave.

I think it was a bit of meta commentary on "why do you follow the orders of that distant mission control voice?" A deconstruction of why we just blithely follow orders in video games. Spec Ops: The Line did something similar with "why are you here?"

And of course, you may not be a slave, but Jack is. Born, raised, and conditioned by Fontain Futuristics to be an "Ace in the Hole".

X Equestris

Maester
I saw this video on TV earlier. It's a couple months old now but...:eek:

[video=youtube_share;pzXL-KM2UqU]http://youtu.be/pzXL-KM2UqU[/video]

SeverinR

Vala
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jY9y_nc0Vs

In Germany, in a few weeks, there will a great party, A rave. Why do I mention it, why do I care?
I was stationed in Germany in 1984, I was part of the Advon team for GLCM Germany.
When I left, the base was almost ready to open. 2 yrs and I never got to see it functional. But I did see all this in the video brand new. Now it sits a relic like the castles, but the Germans invade the closed base annually, for one grand party.
I see it as a celebration of life. The cold war ended.
So strange seeing the base abandoned, but the beasts of war remain silent and have been removed.
One day I would love to go to the party, see the old buildings.

Wueschheim Germany 38th tmw - Bing Videos

Last edited:
I watched some HEMA style fights on YouTube, they were impressive. Although, why don't they have a continuous match set up. That could make the fights even more entertaining.