• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

MineOwnKing

Maester
Totally with you. Don't like Salinger, and I really don't like Hemingway. Gaiman seems to be the same way. Plain, boring prose doesn't engage me at all. I love Melville, and Steinbeck (who's not so lean after all--Grapes of Wrath is riddled with adverbs AND contains some beautiful prose).

Thus, I relegate the 'adverb-nazis' to their rightful place. I will heed them no longer. Advice that does not map onto reality very well won't be hard for me to dismiss.

An author's style has the potential to become ageless; trends in prose are short lived.

I say go with your gut, get a few fans, and always try to make your next chapter better than the last.

Tom

Istar
Today has been one of those days when my internal monologue is a ceaseless stream of profanity.

-__-

At least my car battery didn't die at school.

That was Tuesday.

Tom

Istar
Write some jokes? Or humorous dialog?

Perhaps. Usually when a day is going that badly, though, I have to vent. Maybe I'll write some angry scenes where everyone is shouting accusations at each other and boiling over with rage. :)

Well, two hours later I just rewrote about 1500 words. I'd call that a successful Friday night.and tacked on 900 to a different WIP. most productive day in a long time.

Last edited:

Tom

Istar
Nice job, Bills. Can't even win against the Jags. Hopefully when Taylor's back things will go better.

Oh well, at least it was amusing to watch British people trying to do the whole "American football fan" thing. :D

Last edited:

Russ

Istar
I have learned I am a sports addict and this weekend was a massive binge.

South Africa v. New Zealand Rugby (historic loss), South Africa v. New Zealand Cricket (historic win), Penn State over Maryland (win), Steelers lose to Chiefs (loss) and Bayern beat FC Koln (historic win).

No wonder I am getting behind on my writing.

Thank god it is early days for hockey...

Incanus

Auror
I've wanted to write a novel for over 30 years now. My past attempts were truly awful and not worth continuing.

It is for this reason I feel like celebrating any and all landmarks I make with my current attempt. As of last weekend, I've made it further than any previous try. Yay! Also, it was done in something like one-sixth of the time. Even better, I show not the slightest signs of stopping (though I've slowed a little now that I'm in the thick of it). And it's nowhere near as horrible as my earlier writings.

I WILL finish it.

SeverinR

Vala
For every story we write, a story is there that must be written, but must be written at the right time.
For my WIP now is clearly not the right time for me to write it.

Jesters, jokers, clowns and fools is not the right time to write it.
It is an adventure with the backdrop of a traveling entertainment troop. Showing the entertainers ability to make people laugh no matter what they are experiencing in their life. As I wrote the beginning, I realized I included all entertainment except Jokers, jesters, and clowns. So I started thinking of how to write out a person that could make people laugh. I am usually good at snappy comebacks, slapstick and even action comedy. But could not think of anything to make people laugh.

I think it is because of my year of death that I just lived through. As the Holidays approach, it was just before Thanksgiving I lost my youngest Aunt. It was just before Christmas my Cousin lost her husband to cancer, then I lost my Dad just before Valentines day and returned in time to say good by to my oldest Aunt (the cousin that lost her husband's, mother.) And happy loss occurred at the end of Summer, both my daughters got married. My youngest moved to Washington State to live with her husband in the Navy.
So I think this is the wrong time to try to be funny.

But after a year of death, comes a year of life. I have two new Son in laws, Next Spring I will be a Grandfather for the first time...twice over. My daughter that moved away will be returning, her husband is not re-enlisting.
So I think it is time to work on other things now. Maybe the light of the future will bring back my humor.
Random thoughts, not looking for sympathy, just pointing out, life may be telling you, you need to write it, but the time might not be right now.:eek:

SeverinR

Vala
I should also thank the people of this site.
I would have given up on writing long ago, if I didn't stop in here regularly.
Well, actually not given up on writing, I've always think of stories. But I wouldn't write them down and just entertain myself with them and forget them.
I may never get published, that's not the goal. I write for my enjoyment. I research and read of how to improve how I write.
So that I will enjoy it better. If I ever get published, that is just extra gravy. I've already enjoyed the meat and potatoes of writing.

Tom

Istar
I am so happy to work a 7-hour shift on Halloween. Really, I am. Thanks, boss. *Hulks out and trashes everything in sight*

Saigonnus

Auror
I like Christmas as much as the next person, but why must people talk about it now; at the beginning of November as if there is no other holidays between then and now...

Where's the love for Thanksgiving? Where's the anticipation of spending time with family and friends and eating like hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MineOwnKing

Maester
I like Christmas as much as the next person, but why must people talk about it now; at the beginning of November as if there is no other holidays between then and now...

Where's the love for Thanksgiving? Where's the anticipation of spending time with family and friends and eating like hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanksgiving is still big here. That's the week of deer hunting and the entire state pretty much shuts down for business.

Ireth

Myth Weaver

Thanksgiving's over and done with here in Canada. Happens before Halloween up here.

SeverinR

Vala
Quote of the Day: "I am a dead man! I wish I still had skin, like I used to have."
~Sabina, age 6, while eating a gingerbread cookie with skeleton-shaped frosting
Is Sabina your daughter?
The wip I wrote about above, one of the main female characters' name is Sabina. I liked the character on "Star war's rebels"
named Sabine, but I never copy a name, so when I saw Sabina on a name sight I knew that was her.

Incanus

Auror
Steady as she goes.

Hit another milestone in writing my novel. I finished Part 1 last night. That puts me at about one-third complete with the first draft, give or take. And I did it in under two months, which for me is pretty damn quick. I'm getting into murkier waters going ahead, but having a complete first draft in 6-7 months doesn't seem incredibly far-fetched at this point.

I may not be cut out for Nano, or for bursts of writing, but the every-day slog seems to work for me; it's adding up.

I'm sure glad that story about the tortoise and the hare exists. The tortoise is me all the way.