• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

MineOwnKing

Maester
Steady as she goes.

Hit another milestone in writing my novel. I finished Part 1 last night. That puts me at about one-third complete with the first draft, give or take. And I did it in under two months, which for me is pretty damn quick. I'm getting into murkier waters going ahead, but having a complete first draft in 6-7 months doesn't seem incredibly far-fetched at this point.

I may not be cut out for Nano, or for bursts of writing, but the every-day slog seems to work for me; it's adding up.

I'm sure glad that story about the tortoise and the hare exists. The tortoise is me all the way.

Slower writing equals less editing time.

You're doing great.

Nimue

Auror
Steady as she goes.

Hit another milestone in writing my novel. I finished Part 1 last night. That puts me at about one-third complete with the first draft, give or take. And I did it in under two months, which for me is pretty damn quick. I'm getting into murkier waters going ahead, but having a complete first draft in 6-7 months doesn't seem incredibly far-fetched at this point.

I may not be cut out for Nano, or for bursts of writing, but the every-day slog seems to work for me; it's adding up.

I'm sure glad that story about the tortoise and the hare exists. The tortoise is me all the way.
I'm even slower, but I wouldn't care much if I could be more consistent. I'm not sure what I'm doing in the NaNo thread if I'm writing a fraction of what everyone else is: except, maybe, existing in the same time frame. I'm aiming myself at the end of November not for a finish line, but for the beginning of a habit. Hopefully by December I can be your tortoise buddy, plodding along on the same road.

Incanus

Auror
I'm even slower, but I wouldn't care much if I could be more consistent. I'm not sure what I'm doing in the NaNo thread if I'm writing a fraction of what everyone else is: except, maybe, existing in the same time frame. I'm aiming myself at the end of November not for a finish line, but for the beginning of a habit. Hopefully by December I can be your tortoise buddy, plodding along on the same road.

Ha! It would be nice to have some company on this stretch of road. The hares are zipping by so fast I have difficulty in telling them apart. One blur looks much like another from where I'm standing. I place my foot firmly down and heave myself foward another inch. Inches add up to feet, feet add up to furlongs.

Nimue

Auror
Furlongs would be lovely. Thing is, at this point I'm not completely sure if I'm really a tortoise or just a rock that rolls downhill sometimes... Time to try and stretch those legs and see if I still have 'em.

Incanus

Auror
I think I can 'roll' with this analogy. For many years I was a rock like you describe. Somewhere along the way recently, I grew some little nubby-feet. So really, it's debatable whether I'm a full-fledged tortoise, or just a freshly-footed rock-beast. Either way metaphors sure are fun!

Incanus

Auror
Sheesh! Aspiring writers who are interested in words. What WILL they think of next? Before you know it, pop musicians will be playing instruments and learning music theory.

Let me just say that this ethics test I've been studying for is frustrating. I just learned after busting my hump that the 86 I need to score isn't a percent, nope. It's an 86 in a scale of 150. But, that 86 indicates I only need to score in the 25th percentile. I have wasted 3 hours each evening and each Saturday for the past three weeks when I was scoring well within that range since my first practice test two weeks ago!

So I decided to begin pantsing a project yesterday, rather than outline. Good news: it's set in a world I had already created for a stalled novel, so much of that sort of prewriting is already finished. But contrary to some current Writing Questions threads–or perhaps in line with those–I began w/ a) character development, b) some telling exposition, c) limited action. Well. I'm already envisioning some revisions for the opening; but for now, I'm slinging it out for the rough.

Tom

Istar
What color might Faerie blood be? Gold or black or blue? Might they have fangs?

Also, why do I seem hell-bent on ruining my own childhood?

If I ever met my childhood self they'd probably be terrified of me and/or angry that I've turned the Fey from Tinkerbells to monsters.

Nimue

Auror
A vote for black! Think of all the similes, not to mention connotations you can pull in. Night, deep water, crow-black, blood-black...

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
Blue sounds best to me, with black pulling a close second. I like the image those colors create, of dark circles under eyes and lips blue from cold. Very sinister. Very dark.

I think I got gold from a short story by one of the Merry Fates; the half-Faerie protagonist's blood is described as "the color of honey". It's something of a perfect metaphor in my mind--wildness and belonging to the woods, sweetness with painful consequences if you're not careful. Or at least, that's what honey seems like to me.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
If you hadn't listed colors, I would've said green, kind of like this thing below. I'm not sure it's the best example, but the color would strike me more as magical than black or blue.

latest

Reactions: Tom

Saigonnus

Auror
My rant for today!! Why does the bank have only one customer service agent when the average help time for each one is 30 minutes??? As if everyone has 2 hours leisure time to commit to picking up a replacement card... Which by the way can ONLY be processed by that same stupid lady, and not the manager... [emoji34]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom

Istar
Stephanie Meyer's taking questions on Tumblr! Should I tell her exactly what I think of her writing? :devil: