• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
My sister had a daughter and they named the child Eowyn. I'm really quite pleased with this choice (the name, not the having a daughter).

Incanus

Auror
My sister had a daughter and they named the child Eowyn. I'm really quite pleased with this choice (the name, not the having a daughter).

Love the name.

I dated a girl named Eowyn for about 9-10 months or so, a long time ago. She was a cool, kooky red-head. I miss her and still think about her pretty regularly. It was my fault it didn't work out. I suppose it was a 'timing' issue. Wherever she is, I wish her well.

Tom

Istar
One of my friends named her daughter Eowyn, and her son Rohan. I like it when people use names with a story behind them...I was named after a Shakespeare character, and one of my other friends after a rather obscure Celtic goddess.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I have stories about naming my daughters, and since having kids I've been more careful about naming my fictional characters. I'm drawing Addison Lane's parents this week. Addison Lane means awesome warrior, her father's name, Edan, is Celtic for full of fire and her mother is Kelcie, which means
latest

Reactions: Tom

Velka

Sage
Just wanted to share this bit of awesome with the universe: I've already wrote over three thousand words tonight and it has been so much fun! It's been a very long time since I have had this kind of word count in one sitting (and I think most of it is fairly good!).

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I think I can 'roll' with this analogy. For many years I was a rock like you describe. Somewhere along the way recently, I grew some little nubby-feet. So really, it's debatable whether I'm a full-fledged tortoise, or just a freshly-footed rock-beast. Either way metaphors sure are fun!

Ok 'rock-with-feet,' word counts for many of those doing NaNo have cratered so bad that your WC count for the month might actually be on a par with theirs. Not sure if its a word sucking Lovecraftian entity or Fallout 4.

Tom

Istar
I have decided to abandon NaNo until I've finished my term paper for history, which is due before Thanksgiving. It seems the wisest course of action.

Incanus

Auror
Ok 'rock-with-feet,' word counts for many of those doing NaNo have cratered so bad that your WC count for the month might actually be on a par with theirs. Not sure if its a word sucking Lovecraftian entity or Fallout 4.

So, for good or ill, this inspired me to state: Why I’m not a Nano kind of person.
(Apologies for the timing of this–the last thing I want to do is discourage anyone from pursuing Nano this month.)

1) I’m far too slow. The minimum daily word count is at the extreme maximum end of my output. I think I’ve done over 1600 two times ever in my life. If I care about what I’m writing (and I do), then I can’t just crap out words that I won’t use. That wouldn’t get me anywhere.

2) I can only start work on a project when it’s ready to go, not on some arbitrary date. I can’t imagine being ready and then having to wait for Nov. 1 to start. Alternatively, if I’m not ready to begin and Nov. 1 rolls around, it would be a huge mistake to just start anyway. This is art we’re talking about after all.

3) For the life of me, I can’t understand why I should start writing something on the same day as thousands of others, keep it up for a month, and then stop. I guess it’s a social thing? Or a competition? I’m drawing a total blank on this one. I don’t see what this has to do with creative writing at all.

So does this make sense? Is it really weird that I see things this way?

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
So, for good or ill, this inspired me to state: Why I’m not a Nano kind of person.
(Apologies for the timing of this—the last thing I want to do is discourage anyone from pursuing Nano this month.)

1) I’m far too slow. The minimum daily word count is at the extreme maximum end of my output. I think I’ve done over 1600 two times ever in my life. If I care about what I’m writing (and I do), then I can’t just crap out words that I won’t use. That wouldn’t get me anywhere.

I am not exactly a fast writer either. When I did the 'track your sprints' challenge by people who'd read '5000 words per hour,' my top speed was about 1100 words per hour, or around half of what others were reporting. Still is. Didn't let it stop me. Yes, I have hit 2000-3000 words a day a few times this NaNo. But that is because I spend more time writing. Actual WPH is still 800-1200, if that.

2) I can only start work on a project when it’s ready to go, not on some arbitrary date. I can’t imagine being ready and then having to wait for Nov. 1 to start. Alternatively, if I’m not ready to begin and Nov. 1 rolls around, it would be a huge mistake to just start anyway. This is art we’re talking about after all.

Then don't.

Last year, I started 'Labyrinth: Seed' November 1, had to do a rewrite of another project, and then had my muse collapse from exhaustion along about week 2. And even before then, my progress stank. Only got about 9000 words into 'Seed,' less than a thousand words a day.

The first NaNo 'camp' I entered was last April. But, I was still doing a rewrite for a previous project when it started. The April Camp NaNo had been underway for a week before I got going on my chosen project. And then I immediately ran into giant plot problems. Doing an outline to resolve them took a few more days. It was the end of May before I finished the rough draft for that project - 35,000 words, only about half written during Camp NaNo. I failed the word count goal. I did learn the value of outlines.

The last 'camp NaNo' was the biggest flop of all - three long months to do 35,000 words, with the first 10,000 or so in dire need of revision. Do the math and compare with your output.

3) For the life of me, I can’t understand why I should start writing something on the same day as thousands of others, keep it up for a month, and then stop. I guess it’s a social thing? Or a competition? I’m drawing a total blank on this one. I don’t see what this has to do with creative writing at all.

For about a three year span, up until last October, I entered a lot of the challenges being put forth in the Challenge forum on this site. I wrote - and finished - more stories during that period than in my entire previous writing career - three dozen stories, give or take. The challenges all had different terms that had to be meant. But (almost) all of them featured deadlines as well. That deadline - being able to complete a readable story before the clock ran out - did wonders for my productivity. It forced me to concentrate and stick with a given story until it was done.

I view NaNo as much the same way - it provides a sort of external deadline for longer works.

So does this make sense? Is it really weird that I see things this way?

It does make sense. But...you went from being a 'rock' to a 'rock-with-feet' apparently by heeding just some of the advice on this site. Might be time for those feet to turn into legs. And yes, you will flop. More than once. But I believe you can pick yourself up and resume typing.

So checking out office chairs on Amazon this morning, I looked at one of their "Amazon Basics" chairs and saw a negative review with a high "helpful" rating from customers.

A comment under that review from an employee of the apparent manufacturer of that chair said, basically, "Please contact us..." etc.–to be helpful, I guess.

I clicked that commenter's name and saw he's left 5-star reviews on all their own chairs but 1-star reviews for competitors' chairs.

Amazon, basically.

Incanus

Auror
Hey Thinker. You know, I really have to laugh at myself (and at you and the wonderful Nimue a little--all in the nicest way, of course). We seem to be trying to outdo each other: "I'm the one who writes the least." "No way, I write even less than that." "Na, look at these horrible numbers of mine." "But mine are even lower still." etc., etc. It's kind of amusing, really.

Even so, I'll give it another shot: after the first 20 days of writing my novel, my daily average was just shy of 600 words. Now it's closer to 500. Average time spent: about 2.5 to 3 hours a day. So my WPH is something like 100-200. And that's consistently, over time. The only reason this is working at all is due to the day-in, day-out work.

Ironically, it appears Nov. is going to be one of the lowest word counts. I'm having to spend a handful of days on brainstorming and outlining activities, generating zero prose. I'd be surprised if I even hit 10,000 this month. This is all OK, though--to me, quality is far, far more important than quanity. And I'm all about 'following through'. I mean to see this thing through to the end. And I fully expect the first revision (second draft) to take about as long as the first draft. At my rate, that will be about a year. Only 10 months to go!

I had an outline(a pretty detailed one at that) done for my Nano. I even read it out loud and got some friends to read it to make sure the pacing and action was good.

I started writing and about 12, 000 words in I realized this isn't the story I want to be telling. I need to finish it though. So I can be satisfied with that I at least tried writing a story this nano.

To top it off, it seems to be a shorter story then I thought it would be. As I am half way through the story already. So there may only be 15,000 more words left to it.

Incanus

Auror
I don't know why, but I can't seem to issue out 'Thanks' anymore. Haven't been able to for days. Did I do something wrong?