• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Reading a new book

Ifritus

Dreamer
So... today I found myself in Waterstones buying Ramond E Feists new book: the King of ashes... book numero uno of a new trilogy... a new... world!

Now... Feist has been a source of calm and an escape from boredom when away with the work (I’m a pipeline welder so we tend to go away every so often to do a lot of repetitive work :cry:) and the adventures of Pug and Co have kept me amused several times over.

I find it strange that I’ll be reading an authors’ new work that is missing that familiarity... so much so I’m compelled to re-read Magician for the unknownth time (havent recently so it’ll be as good as ever) and then jump to King of ashes.

For those not familIar with this gentleman’s work - Magician was released donkeys ago (1980
Odds methinks? Waay before I was born anyhow) - and KoA was released... last month?

Has anyone else found Themselves in a similar situation?
What do you think one can expect from a writers work - 3 decades forward?

Last edited:

Jinxed Joker

Acolyte
I find it strange that I’ll be reading an authors’ new work that is missing that familiarity... so much so I’m compelled to re-read Magician for the unknownth time (havent recently so it’ll be as good as ever) and then jump to King of ashes.

I think that it shows remarkable talent for an author to break their own mold, so to speak.

Reading an author with umpteen titles within a series (like Louis Lamour or Franklin Dixon), one does learn to find the author’s “rhythm,” so to speak. You start to anticipate.

Authors that can break out of their mold and find new dimensions are phenomenal! However, as you noted, the lack of that “rhythm” or familiarity can be difficult.

Best advice: expect the unexpected and keep your mind open!