• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Reading Outside Genre to be a Better Writer

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I was reading an article recently that had some generic tips for writers, as well as book recommendations for aspiring writers. The only thing that really struck me was that the first suggestion the author made was to read outside of your chosen genre. Personally, I think this is vital for a writer. I believe that reading is the second most important thing a writer can do, apart from actually writing, and I think it behooves us to read in every genre out there. I find there is always something I can take away from a book, regardless of genre, and books in different genres tend to have different strengths and weaknesses.

What do you guys think? I'd like feedback because I thought this might make a nice article at some point.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't say it often, but I've felt since I've been here that it's best to read outside of the genre. Learn language and story pacing without having everyone else's idea of a fantasy story pressed into your head.

Of course, that's only true to a point, and now that I personally have a clear idea of what my idea of a good fantasy story looks like, I've been reading more inside the genre so I can broaden my ideas and have a better idea of what works and what doesn't.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Makes sense, Devor. I certainly think one should be well-read inside the genre. Your readers will be, and you don't want to make mistakes that are due to your ignorance of what has come before in Fantasy.

I do like to read a lot in other genres as well. Look at some thrillers to learn how to keep up a pace and how to make readers say "just one more chapter" no matter how tired they are (Michael Connelly and Robert Crais do this to me).

Look at horror to see how authors handle fear and dread, tension, and the description and action around characters as they encounter the supernatural or horrific.

If you have romantic sub-plots, take a look at some romance to see how authors make it work as the primary plot of a book.

Want to incorporate a mystery into your plot line? Read some actual mystery novels and see how those skilled authors make it all come together in the end.

Then bring all of that back to your fantasy novel.

JonSnow

Troubadour
I read a lot of both fantasy and non-fantasy. From storytelling, pacing, and vocabulary aspects, non-fantasy reading can be really beneficial. I've always believed that reading is the most important thing a writer can do, outside writing, because you can draw something from every other author... whether that be style, methods of description, vocabulary....it can even spark plot or character ideas for your own writing.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I agree that reading is the 2nd most important activity for any writer. As Ray Bradbury used to say:

"If you stuff yourself full of poems, essays, plays, stories, novels, films, comic strips, magazines, music, you automatically explode every morning like Old Faithful. I have never had a dry spell in my life, mainly because I feed myself well, to the point of bursting. I wake early and hear my morning voices leaping around in my head like jumping beans. I get out of bed to trap them before they escape."

I'm always surprised when I hear people that say they want to be writers but admit they never read. I just don't get that. They give all sorts of reasons like "too busy" or "I don't want another's writing to influence my own creative genius"... Blah blah. It's all BS in my eyes.

Reading is an essential component to understanding the craft of writing alone, not to mention the flood of ideas for your own works that can be unleashed through reading the work of others. My favorite part of reading (being a critical reader) is becoming lost in a book, forgetting that I'm reading a story with that critical eye,being so immersed that I don't want the chapter to end. When the chapter finishes I think, "Hey, how did he/she do that?" This is where I then have to go back and dissect the writing, it's dialogue, it's cadence, it's description. To me that's the magic of reading as a writer and it's invaluable across all genres because they all have their strengths which pull in a certain type of reader who has certain tastes. I want to develop my craft so that I can incorporate several of those elements and broaden the appeal of my work. There's no better way than to read.

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
I'm always surprised when I hear people that say they want to be writers but admit they never read. I just don't get that. They give all sorts of reasons like "too busy" or "I don't want another's writing to influence my own creative genius"... Blah blah. It's all BS in my eyes.
I plead guilty to reading only occasionally, possibly because I'm so wrapped up in my own little world and its stories that I don't make enough time to enjoy other people's creations. That said, I have been reading more frequently within the past few days, and I like to think that my most recent prose has improved because of it (for example, it's much less terse than it used to be).

My personal library isn't all fantasy BTW. I have some historical, some sci-fi, and even one romance.

Lorna

Inkling
I love reading. There's nothing more satisfying than after spending a day writing sitting down to read a good book and appreciating the work that has been put in.

I read avidly across several genres- fantasy, local history, poetry, classics, travel literature, I'm currently subscribed to a quarterly horror mag called Dark Tales. All helps the writing.

Some genres I can't read. Try as I might I can't read detective stories. I don't like detectives. I really wanted to read China Mieville's The city and the City but I couldn't because I didn't like the MC. I don't think I could read pure romance unless the setting and events surrounding the characters held my interest. Nor can I warrant setting aside the time to read long fantasy series like Game of Thrones.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I couldn't agree more that reading widely can make you a better writer. Good writing is good writing no matter what genre its in. Need help with that romance subplot, why not read a good romance novel. Need to work on character, read some contemporary fiction. With certain elements like magic not in play, other things like character and plot tend to stand out more, so you can study and learn from them with out the clutter of shiny magical elements distracting you.

This kind of goes hand in hand with the tendency of some to use genre elements as a crutch and writing about those elements thinking they're the story instead of part of the setting.

Last edited:

JBryden88

Troubadour
Recently I've delved into beyond fantasy.

On one hand, I've been reading a historical fiction Viking series by Tim Severn. Beautiful story based on fact, I'm about to hit book three.

On the other I'm finding a bit more inspiration in comic books oddly enough. Seeing how some of them can do so much character development within short issues is doing wonders for the long term of character development in a novel let alone a series.

JonSnow

Troubadour
Recently I've delved into beyond fantasy.

On one hand, I've been reading a historical fiction Viking series by Tim Severn. Beautiful story based on fact, I'm about to hit book three.

On the other I'm finding a bit more inspiration in comic books oddly enough. Seeing how some of them can do so much character development within short issues is doing wonders for the long term of character development in a novel let alone a series.

So I've been trying to create a race of people for my story that are similar to Vikings (at least what Viking legends tell) in terms of them being nordic, seafaring, warring peoples. I just ordered Viking (Odinn's Child) off eBay and can't wait to read it.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've often read that writing outside your chosen genre can open up your eyes as well. I don't write outside of fantasy very often, but when I do, it really stands out in my mind.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've often read that writing outside your chosen genre can open up your eyes as well. I don't write outside of fantasy very often, but when I do, it really stands out in my mind.

I think that is a good point as well. I write what I guess you'd call speculative fiction. Includes fantasy, science fiction, and horror. I've only done a little bit outside of those.

Zophos

Minstrel
...The only thing that really struck me was that the first suggestion the author made was to read outside of your chosen genre. Personally, I think this is vital for a writer...

Completely agree. I never have much of a problem with this since I'm actually one of those weirdos who doesn't really like very many books I read IN the genre. Way too much to explain without departing completely from the topic, but at bottom, I either don't find it interesting, find it repetitive or cliche, or just flat out don't like the world they've built.

I tend more toward the classics. Right now, however, I'm reading Lewis Carroll, Thomas Paine, Einstein and a couple of other non-fiction titles. I'm muddling through GRRM's first book, but only really involved with it when I'm on the treadmill because it doesn't require any thought and doesn't inspire a lot of note-taking and highlighting.

I've only written one fantasy story - although it's probably more spec fiction than pure fantasy.

In fact, I've always been attracted by the idea of being regarded as something of a Stanley Kubrick - noted for writing just one book in each genre. Mind you, none of my stuff fits too neatly into any genre.

The thing about reading for me (which I do constantly and cannot understand any would-be writer who doesn't) is that I'm very rarely surprised these days...which is tragic.

When you're a writer, with an understanding of how stories are put together, it's hard to be surprised by other writers because you just know when they're setting something up and all the possibilities keep flying through your brain as you read...whittling down until you know what's gonna happen...and sometimes there's still half the book in your right hand!!!

I just love it when I find a writer who can keep me guessing to the last page.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
The Dark One said:
The thing about reading for me (which I do constantly and cannot understand any would-be writer who doesn't) is that I'm very rarely surprised these days...which is tragic.

So so true....

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team

When you're a writer, with an understanding of how stories are put together, it's hard to be surprised by other writers because you just know when they're setting something up and all the possibilities keep flying through your brain as you read...whittling down until you know what's gonna happen...and sometimes there's still half the book in your right hand!!!

Ding!

I would add thought that sometimes the reason I can guess what's going to happen, at least in the broad strokes, is because the story isn't as engrossing as it could be. I'm not engaged so I start to analyse. If a story really has me by the collar, I'm not thinking as much and just enjoy the ride.

Jabrosky

Banned
Completely agree. I never have much of a problem with this since I'm actually one of those weirdos who doesn't really like very many books I read IN the genre. Way too much to explain without departing completely from the topic, but at bottom, I either don't find it interesting, find it repetitive or cliche, or just flat out don't like the world they've built.
I feel similar. In fact I actually dislike the stereotypical pseudo-Tolkien fantasy setting epitomized by Eragon and the like. I don't think I have a single book in my personal collection that played all the standard fantasy tropes completely straight; the fantasy books I own either subvert them to varying degrees or avoid them altogether.

The vast majority of the books I own are non-fiction, with history, anthropology, politics, and science predominating as themes. I do believe reading non-fiction can both help with research and even provide story ideas.

You might find this hard to believe or understand but I haven't read a single Fantasy book in my life!

Although I have tried with determination to finish at least one book in the genre but I have been unable to. I read an interview with Terry Pratchett once and he said not to read Fantasy if you're writing it because it could influence the outcome of your current project and you might lose your natural voice because of it.

I do watch Fantasy films though to get some idea of how my project could unfold.

I read everything else from detective novels to horror, from horror to romance and so on. Another genre I find hard to read is historical. I don't know why but it just doesn't interest me as all the others out there.