• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Red alert!!!

Sparkie

Auror
I'm not complaining here, but something has happened to my Mythic Scribes notifications bar (y'know, that thingy at the top of the screen?)

Apparently while I wasn't paying attention, things have changed. Instead of a soothing light blue highlight when I receive a PM or Rep Comment, now all I see is red. A highlight of bright crimson shouting out "RED ALERT!!! RED ALERT!!!" in a figurative sense.

I'm suddenly afraid to click on the angry notifications bar, as if now all news is bad news. Soon it will begin to infiltrate my dreams, and the angry notifications bar will begin to chase my dream-self around my mind as he brandishes a butcher knife and screams "RED ALERT!!! RED ALERT!!!"

Color communication is important. When something must attract attention, red should be used. But red is the color of blood, rage, and violence. Is such a thing really neccesary?

But I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if it's just me.

Xanados

Maester
I'm not complaining here, but something has happened to my Mythic Scribes notifications bar (y'know, that thingy at the top of the screen?)

Apparently while I wasn't paying attention, things have changed. Instead of a soothing light blue highlight when I receive a PM or Rep Comment, now all I see is red. A highlight of bright crimson shouting out "RED ALERT!!! RED ALERT!!!" in a figurative sense.

I'm suddenly afraid to click on the angry notifications bar, as if now all news is bad news. Soon it will begin to infiltrate my dreams, and the angry notifications bar will begin to chase my dream-self around my mind as he brandishes a butcher knife and screams "RED ALERT!!! RED ALERT!!!"

Color communication is important. When something must attract attention, red should be used. But red is the color of blood, rage, and violence. Is such a thing really neccesary?

But I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if it's just me.
I'm sorry but is this really worth a new thread? Shouldn't this be in the suggestions section?
I will admit when I saw the red notifications bar I thought I had been banned...

Kelise

Maester
Perhaps before some people didn't notice they had a new Notification. I have emails set up for mine, but not everyone does.

If it's possible for Black Dragon to change the colour (and the colour change wasn't initiated by the board or something else) then what colour would you like it to be, rather than red?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
If it's possible for Black Dragon to change the colour (and the colour change wasn't initiated by the board or something else) then what colour would you like it to be, rather than red?

I'd vote for Teal. I think that's a lighter shade of the color that's already there.

Sparkie

Auror
Black?

It's more a matter of curiosity for me. Why change it? Were people not checking their messages? I don't expect something to change because of this, I just wonder why it was changed in the first place.

Kelise

Maester
Yes, that's possibly the case. People were being sent messages that required action, but claimed they didn't know they had a message, perhaps.

I have the feeling black would be just as unnoticeable. If the colours blend into the layout too much, then we'd face the same problem as the original colour. Possibly the same with teal.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Hehehe...

I'm glad that someone noticed.

A lot of people were never checking their private messages, because they failed to notice the friendly, inviting blue notification bar.

Since we switched to blood red, no one misses a private message now. It's done wonders for communication on the site.

So the takeaway is that terror can be a good thing. :)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I just had a Chinese New Year party at my house, so I'm going to step in and say that in Chinese culture, red is the color of happiness, celebration, and wedding dresses.
26357_341350359193_572034193_3397959_1915156_n.jpg
Ironically, white is the color of death in Chinese culture.

Therefore, I propose that we find a point that both "western" and "eastern" cultures can agree on regarding the color scheme:

Red with white text = the colors of death and wedding dresses.

The Grey Sage

Troubadour
I think the color isn't as bad as the popups, especially since the computer I use most says it "cannot open seperate window! Would I like to continue on this page?" and I always have to click out of the box-o-doom then continue on my merry way, but it's still a pain.