• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Salutations!

Hello all!

I am a huge fantasy nerd, have been since I first picked up the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe when I was a child. Lord of the Rings was next and then Mists of Avalon and then Terry Brooks' Shannara series and well, you get the idea. I am also a field biologist, meaning I work out in the field gathering data about megafauna. It sounds glamorous, but in reality it is quite boring. There are only so many butterflies you can count before your mind starts wandering. During a stint working with endangered birds on a volcano in Hawaii, I began writing my first novel. I had always been an avid reader, so writing came easily to me. I discovered my passion, a little older than most, and have been writing ever since.

Excited to share my love of fantasy with the scribes!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Welcome to the site, Mary. I hope you enjoy it hear and will also share some of your field biologist stories :)

srcroft

Minstrel
Welcome. Curious what you consider "older" to be? You'll have fun here, lots of great conversations.

I'm 60 and its great to find a place to talk about a lifetime hobby, you're never too old to do a Monty Python and "now for something completely different" this is a great place to talk to those with the same problems.

Wow, so many responses! Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I meant "older" not in the sense that I am older, but in the sense I was never one of those people who knew they wanted to be a writer since they were five years old. When I was five years old I was convinced I was going to be first woman president... so glad I missed that boat!

I also have a question about reviews. I am a fairly freshly minted blog reviewer, and all of the requests that are coming in are pretty decent indie-books, but so far only one request has been traditional fantasy, which is the medium I prefer. How would I go about letting the authors on this forum know that I am willing to do reviews and thus far have a little breathing room to take on a few more?

Also, sorry to mislead about my age. I am still fairly young, although not so young that I can party all night and not feel it the next morning. (Not that I was ever doing much partying in my biologist days. It is rather impossible to identify insects the size of your pinkie toenail when you have tossed a few back.)

srcroft

Minstrel
Like you just did hehe. Im sure people about to publish would be happy to. I know I am months away, so I'll hit you up as I get there.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Oh man, I'm getting the urge to do a piratey one, but I think you just squeaked in before the urge becomes overwhelming. I do hate to do it to people who are new.

SO WELCOME!!! Always nice to see fresh faces here, and your background sounds cool. Hope you find friends here, this is a pretty awesome bunch of people.

There has been some discussion about reviews in "So is most self published material poorly edited?" in "Publishing". I think most people here would admit that they need more of them, myself included. I've just put an illustrated novel into Apple's bookstore and it's suffering from a distinct lack of review. So since you like traditional fantasy trawl through my profile, there's links to facebook and itunes and I might be lucky and you like it. Caged Maiden is too polite but she's full of neat knowledge and good advice, she writes well too.

Thank you Stuart, I will bat around some replies over there. ALB2012, even cooler than megafauna is mystic megafauna... :p