• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Set of divine beasts, basis of religion/ power over sets of land.

Eeirail

Scribe
I am looking for feedback on if I need to add anything to them as of details go.
NOTE: Pay no attention to grammatical errors, I have simply not gone over spelling as it is the last of my worries.

Beast of raging Riptides- Daijinn
Whereabouts- Submerged chamber
Affliction- Neutral
Spirit Weapon- Trident

Beast of searing infernos- Azazel
Whereabouts- Ferosious Volcano
Affliction- Hostile
Spirit Weapon- Claymore

Beast of torrent winds- Vega
Whereabouts- Skygrazing tower
Affliction- Peaceful
Spirit Weapon- Battle fan

Beast of Rattling earth- Tyris
Whereabouts- Forest of silence
Affliction- Peaceful
Spirit Weapon- Hammer

Beast of Glistening ice- Isis
Whereabouts- Behemoth glacier
Affliction- Neutral
Spirit Weapon- Scythe

Beast of Shining light- Legato
Whereabouts- Oathful Citidel
Affliction- Hostile
Spirit Weapon- Staff

Beast of Blind Darkness- Zezima
Whereabouts- Deaths' pit
Affliction- Neutral
Spirit Weapon- Mace

Beast of Choking Smoke- Sectrum
Wherebouts-Smiting Fog
Affliction- Peaceful
Spirit Weapon- Kriss

Beast of Shifting Sand- Solidius
Whereabouts-Dread Sands
Affliction- Hostile
Spirit Weapon-Whip

Beast of Stunning Lightning- Gigas
Whereabouts- Smoldering stormcloud
Affliction- Neutral
Spirit Weapon-Shirikans

Beast of Deafening Sound- Beilas
Whereabouts- Sonic-boom Crater
Affliction- Neutral
Spirit Weapon- Bombs

Beast of Suffering Disease- Proxius
Whereabouts-Clenching Bog
Affliction- Hostile
Spirit Weapon- Bow & Arrow

Saigonnus

Auror
I think the concept of living gods is perfectly within the range of fantasy, and maybe even something that isn't present as much as other fantasy tropes. It does in my opinion seem to me that as they are now, they resemble many "bosses" found in RPG games and often times there isn't really any reason for them being there beyond being "cool" or as a challenge for the characters; with nothing "meshing" them together into a greater hierarchy that serves to carry the story. This concept raises a few questions and these would be things I would consider for such a scenario and only within the scheme of the story since you can always write more detail as the story gets written.

Abilities: What powers or abilities do they have access to beyond the ordinary weapons you mentioned? Are those their only power? Are they like some of the "primordial earthly" gods where each controls a single aspect of the universe/cosmos (Ra for the Sun etc.) or do they have a broader power base that covers many aspects of the world?

History: How did they come about and how do they interact with each other? Do they answer to a higher power themselves or are they the top of the food chain?

Followers: Are they important to the god's base of power (i.e. do they get more powerful the more followers they have?) how is the power of the gods distributed across the world. How do they interact with said followers; through intermediaries? face-to-face? How easy would it be for a follower to get access to said deity?

Faith: How do they affect the regular citizens? What are their tenets/rules? What happens if a follower breaks those tenets? What gifts are given to the faithful if any? How do the deities attempt to garner new followers or do they simply let people have their free will to choose one?

Geography: Which cities/cultures have churches/temples to which gods? are their any cultures on earth based solely on the teaching of a deity?

Roc

Troubadour
I think that sounds really interesting, and I like a lot of the ones you came up with. One minor thing, how do they impact the world, LIVING on the world? What is the true extent of their abilities? Just some things to think about, but Saigonnus has pretty much covered everything else.

dyga19

Dreamer
Gods and other divine beings also have a lot of complicated interpersonal relationships with each other, like in Greek, Roman, and Hindu mythology. This might be an aspect of their behavior you could consider writing, and my even form the basis for myths about these deities.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Beast of Shining light- Legato
Whereabouts- Oathful Citidel
Affliction- Hostile
Spirit Weapon- Staff

Taking an example, because I want to understand . . .

Who is he hostile too? A Citadel is a castle built into the landscape of a city - are there people in that city? Who is this Legato creature, and how does he relate to the world? How does he relate to the other gods?

Also, I want to second what Saigonnus said about tying them together. Do they have a common origin or is there a "history of the gods" with a few events that would tell us about them? I don't mean that you need a detailed history, but tell your readers something to suggest that they are characters with a story all of their own.

You don't need to answer all this for every creature right now in the worldbuilding phase, but an example or two would help us to understand whether you're using them effectively.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
The term "divine beasts" really makes me think of the four "living creatures" in the book of Revelation, which are symbolic of the mightiest of God's creatures -- among domestic beasts, the ox (or calf); among wild beasts, the lion; among birds, the eagle; and humanity. Maybe you could wring an idea or two from that.

Hi,

Is this for a book or a D and D game? Anyway without knowing much about them all I can say is I think some of the names sound a bit insipid.

The Beast of Blind (ing?) Darkness. You're already blind in the dark, why not go for something more sensational? Impenetrable Darkness.

The Beast of Suffering Disease. It sounds like the beast is the one suffering. How about Black Plague. Dark Pestilence.

The Beast of Torrent (ial?) Winds. Why not Endless Storms.

(Also I think affliction is the wrong word. In Neverwinter it would be alignment.)

Cheers, Greg.