• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Something other than a Manticore?

The sphinx has wings. She's not exactly a mountain lion either, but she does have a lion's hindquarters.

That's the closest I can think of to what you're looking for, if you're looking for it in actual mythology.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Your world, your rules, your name. Griffin-cat, Flying Death from Above, some sort of Chimera, you can call it anything you like as long as it follows the metaphysics and linguistics you've established - or will establish as you go. What do you want to call it?

Adela

Minstrel
Wow, thanks for responding so quickly. Have looked at differing fantasy creatures for years trying to identify one closest to him. He walks upright and is (like most of my characters) anthropomorphic. Not the scary beast I see when I looked up Manticores or other winged cats.

Considered Sphinx but they seem to have human faces as well. Winged-cat, or winged-lion is probably my best bet, if there isn't anything in Mythology. Which surprises me.

Eduardo Ficaria

Troubadour
In her novel Rocannon's World, Ursula K. Leguin uses the term windsteed for a feline-like winged creature that, as the name implies, was used to ride in the wind. Certainly, it's not a proper species name, but it can give you an idea of how to refer to that non-manticore of yours, Adela . For instance, you could go with a name like windlion or flyon, or a more exotic-sounding one like zephyon (zephyr + lion, where zephyr means gentle wind).