1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Songs about great novels.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reaver, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

To Tame a Land by Iron Maiden is the only song I'm aware of that is a tribute to a famed novel. Does anyone know of any others?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  2. FatCat

FatCat Maester

Reaver likes this.
  3. ShortHair

ShortHair Sage

"The Gates of Delirium" by Yes (on Relayer) was inspired by War and Peace.

Al Stewart, one of the most literate rockers I know of, has several. "The Sirens of Titan" (on Modern Times) obviously references the Vonnegut book. "One Stage Before" (on Year of the Cat) doesn't directly reference any book but deals with deja vu (or reincarnation or parallel universes or something). "A Man for All Seasons" (on Time Passages) draws from the play/movie about Thomas More. And those are only his first three albums.

Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Alan Parsons Project is nothing but music based on the works of Edgar Allan Poe. I Robot is more loosely based on the works of Isaac Asimov.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but it's late.

Reaver likes this.
  4. Graylorne

Graylorne Archmage

'Nightfall in Middle Earth' by Blind Guardian is a whole cd all about Tolkien. They've songs about Games of Thrones, Wheel of Time and others as well.

And the Tolkien Ensemble produced a complete series with all Tolkien's poems in song (with Christopher Lee als Treebeard). Very beautiful.

The late (2011) Dutch fantasy author W.J. Maryson produced two concept albums of his books, 'Master Magician' and 'On Goes The Quest'. The only place to find them is on Amazon.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Yeah, Nightfall Over Middle Earth is a great album, and the song "Nightfall" is one of my favorites on it:

The Iron Maiden song is great too, of course :)

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Also by Blind Guardian, The Wheel of Time:

Reaver likes this.
  7. ShortHair

ShortHair Sage

Well, I misunderstood. The thread didn't say anything about fantasy, so I went with some of my favorites from the world of art rock.

It may not count as fantasy, but I have to mention Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds. Wayne was a member of the Moody Blues, so the work has a classical vibe. Richard Burton reads passages verbatim from the book, and Susan Sarandon makes an appearance. You owe it to yourself to listen to it at least once.

Edit: Also have to mention Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Reaver likes this.
  8. Butterfly

Butterfly Auror

Ooooo.... I've heard this subliminally all my life. Dad keeps playing it at night to get to sleep.

Anyway, It's even much better if you have the chance to see it live on stage. Lots of flame throwers and stuff, and great big mechanical aliens looming overhead.

Reaver likes this.
  9. Butterfly

Butterfly Auror

Songs though, the only ones I can think of are the theme songs to books that have been turned into film.

Like, The Neverending Story

10. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

Thank you! I can't believe I forgot these songs. Especially The Battle of Evermore.