• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

starting a writing blog

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
Hey guys!
i'll be starting a writing blog soon and i will likely post it on my website, and facebook, BUT i wanted to start using a more specific blog-oriented site or tool.

there are lots of options and some research online gave me a good idea, but i wanted to ask you guys here about what you chose for blogging,

thank you!

Insolent Lad

Maester
Everyone uses WordPress because it's popular and it's popular because everyone uses it. Like MS Word, or ProTools (if one records music), or Times New Roman. Is it actually better? In some ways, sure. It offers more of those bells and whistles but we don't always need them. Blogger offers most of the same basic functionality and somewhat more storage, if you intend to use a lot of graphics. That's assuming you use a free wordpress.org blog. Everything changes when we talk money, of course.

Chasejxyz

Inkling
Wordpress.com is hosted by wordpress, so you don't have to do anything, but you can't install extensions or customize stuff a ton. Wordpress.org is a package you download and install into somewhere you're paying for hosting. You have the ability to change things however you want, including breaking the site and installing malware. There's a big difference between the two, so you need to make sure you know what you want before you make the commitment.

Another vote for Wordpress. Easy and quick to set up (if you know how to use a computer). Lots of information out there and lots of extensions which can make it do whatever you want with the click of a button.

If you want this to be a 'serious' blog then I would advise you to get your own domain name and host it somewhere (the wordpress.org option Chasejxyz mentioned). It costs money, but it generally appears more professional, it gives you a lot more options and control, and the domain name is probably the one thing which is hard to change.

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
Thank you guys! lots of help here.
i did not know of the wordpress .org option actually, so it's good to learn about that.
i am about to publish my own website and counting on publishing the blog there as well, but i wanted to write on a better known platform as well and wordpress does have a lot of customization.

Do you guys also have preferred channels where you share your blog?

A few years ago, I was considering setting up a wordpress blog. I ran the idea by a friend of mine who is a software developer. My friend said, "Here's the thing. It will work fine to start with, but if you don't have web design skills, you'll ultimately have to hire someone to manage it for you. Wordpress will make updates, your site will have to be updated to meet them, and it really does take web design skills to keep up with that."

I wound up putting it on Squarespace instead. That's the platform I'd recommend to anyone who wants to manage their own blog but isn't a web designer. Squarespace handles all the tech part of the site as part of the subscription service. All you have to do is manage the content. If there are tech issues, send it to their tech team, and they'll handle it. Wordpress doesn't offer any such thing.

If you have the tech skills to manage a Wordpress site on your own, or can get reliable help from someone who does, go for it. If not, then Squarespace is probably the better idea.

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
A few years ago, I was considering setting up a wordpress blog. I ran the idea by a friend of mine who is a software developer. My friend said, "Here's the thing. It will work fine to start with, but if you don't have web design skills, you'll ultimately have to hire someone to manage it for you. Wordpress will make updates, your site will have to be updated to meet them, and it really does take web design skills to keep up with that."

I wound up putting it on Squarespace instead. That's the platform I'd recommend to anyone who wants to manage their own blog but isn't a web designer. Squarespace handles all the tech part of the site as part of the subscription service. All you have to do is manage the content. If there are tech issues, send it to their tech team, and they'll handle it. Wordpress doesn't offer any such thing.

If you have the tech skills to manage a Wordpress site on your own, or can get reliable help from someone who does, go for it. If not, then Squarespace is probably the better idea.

Hey! i had lost track of this thread, sorry. Appreciate the suggestions.

I appreciate the insight. Eventually, since I almost finished my website, I decided to just write on it so I can keep most eggs in that one basket.

Sorry again for the massively delayed reply.

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
Wordpress is the most optimal choice; watch some set-up step-by-step tutorials on youtube, and you are ready to go.

Update: didn't see the last message. Can you pm me your site link? Just want to see the result:)
the site is still a work in progress since I am essentially trying to repurpose it (it used to be a site i made for a travel-business idea I had pre-covid. It's live but not fully working and definitely not polished.
That said, here it is:

8Lights - Italian in Japan |