• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Subtle forms of magic

DavidJae

Troubadour
I am writing a character for my first eBook, who is a member of a species called Vaenas'i. They are mystical shapeshifters, possesing heightened senses and innate magical powers. However, I wish to move away from the more traditional 'fireball' type of magic, looking for more subtle powers and abilities. I have my own ideas, but I am looking for inspiration.
My eBook has been published on Amazon Kindle, under the title Saga of the Stones Episode 1: Zin'ao Rising
Any suggestions will be very welcomed.

DavidJae

Last edited:

Hans

Sage
You could for example have a magic style that can't do anything that couldn't happen by pure chance. But the chances to happen can be influenced by magic to improbable level.
Also any kind of magic that needs lots of time will be less blatant and flashy than a fireball.

In one version of the Arthurian legend I have read there is a scene where Merlin is on the other side of a river. Next scene he has crossed the river somehow. Nobody has seen him do it, he is just here now. That is a magic style I like, where no one ever sees the magican perform his magic. There are just sometimes unexplainable results which lead to the assumption that there must have been some magic.