• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The introverted writer: is this myth true?

Ewolf20

Minstrel
a while back, someone once told me that most writers were like lone wolves. they didn't need no one to help them and did everything themselves. but with the rise of things like social media, chat rooms, and other means of communication, this myth was slowly going away. it didn't die completely, but a lot of people and turning to collaborative writing, asking for help, and getting critiques from various of people (myself included). despite that, i always had that feeling why even ask people for input when it makes you less likely to do your projects? Always felt like a child asking so many questions about the world.
"should i step on this rock"
"should ask that man over there"
"if a bees could talk, what would they say"

and the list goes on. there's nothing wrong about asking for help, but i feel like it's about time i do things myself. find my own questions to answer. do my own research. that's not the entire point of this topic but: is it better for an writer to work alone or to collabrate with people? ask around, see other people's opinions on stuff, and is it for the best?

Probably, in all walks of life, it's better to collaborate than try to go it alone all the time.

As for writing, most discussion relating to this topic leans that same direction. Getting writing groups, finding alpha and beta readers, finding an editor, etc., are stressed as very helpful to a writer. I'll admit I am far more a "go it alone" sort—except that I've spent SO much time at Mythic Scribes these last two years, hah. And I've learned a lot just by conversing. So maybe I'm not entirely go-it-alone, even if I think that at the end of the day, or the beginning of the day, when I'm sitting at my keyboard staring at the screen and writing a draft, I really am alone in those hours.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I would make a distinction between working alone--that is, writing alone--and socializing, and collaboration. Most of us work alone. We all socialize in various ways and to varying degrees. Few writers collaborate in the actual writing, though writing partnerships do happen (we have one such right here on Scribes).

But having made that distinction, I have to add that in another sense no published writer works alone. Editors, artists, cartographers, agents, publishers, printers, beta readers, critique groups, sometimes marketers and web designers, and even our readers all make important contributions to the finished product of a novel. I think "alone" is rarely true, so why not embrace all of it?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Also, I think writers have always sought out the company of other writers. Writing is, in and of itself, a solitary profession and we love seeking out feedback and companionship. It used to be in the form of salons and symposiums, letter-writing circles and famous authorial cliques. Nowadays it's online, letting us make contact with other writers of all skill levels from all over the world. It's a wonderful environment, rich with the exchange of ideas.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I don't hate people, I'm just happier when they're not around.

Introvert as a personality type is probably common with writers. But that doesn't mean you don't seek advice and suggestions and whatnot. Writers come in a wide variety of personality types, always have, always will.

Now, a writer's group? Not for me. Too... something. The membership would have to be perfect. Conventions? I'll suck it up and go, but too many people. Coffee, tea, or dinner with a table for four? I'm good. Hell, I didn't really pursue traditional publication as I'd planned for two reasons: I could spend all the money I'd spend traveling and shaking hands on advertising and other fun stuff, and second, I could avoid going to friggin' NYC. Sorry GRRM, I would loved to have seen you at Thrillercon, but! Damn, NYC. I have no urge on Earth to go there.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Not go to NYC? That's like living in Capua or Piacenza in the time of Caesar Augustus and saying "Rome? I have no urge on Earth to go there."

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I've seen pictures. Concrete and glass hell far as I'm concerned. Maybe if all the people were removed it would be worth visiting the museums. Night of the Comet sort of thing... yeah, I'd drive my new Lamborghini to NYC then. But that's a helluva lot of red powder on the ground.

I'd say it's more like living on Tatooine and not wanting to see Mos Eisley, heh heh.

Not go to NYC? That's like living in Capua or Piacenza in the time of Caesar Augustus and saying "Rome? I have no urge on Earth to go there."

Last edited:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I don't collaborate with anyone, but I ask a whole lot of people for help or advice in all kinds of ways. I get answers and suggestions and explanations. Sometimes feedback is good, sometimes it's not so good. Sometimes it's encouraging, and other times it isn't.

Getting feedback is almost always helpful to me. That doesn't mean I almost always act on the feedback I get. Just because someone has a suggestion for what I should do with my story, doesn't mean I will do that. The decision is up to me. I make my own decisions, and I don't collaborate, but I don't work alone.

I admit to liking my quiet and my internet connection. But I do socialize, even if it's going out to the bars or coffee shops at times. Mostly to bother the bartenders and baristas as outside of it I only catch on to talking if someone bothers to initiate it first and are willing to go through the basics. Really don't think it has much on my (admittedly poor) writing habits and skills. If I don't want to talk outside, I use the internet. And if not, I just go silent and hang out in my head and may even get some ideas for writing. That'll get maybe on a paper someday. Maybe. Possibly.

Here is also the only other place I hang out with other writers too.

Laurence

Inkling
I’m not particularly introverted but I think asking for advice is a vital form of research. It’ll help whether you like people or not.

Helen

Inkling
a while back, someone once told me that most writers were like lone wolves. they didn't need no one to help them and did everything themselves. but with the rise of things like social media, chat rooms, and other means of communication, this myth was slowly going away. it didn't die completely, but a lot of people and turning to collaborative writing, asking for help, and getting critiques from various of people (myself included). despite that, i always had that feeling why even ask people for input when it makes you less likely to do your projects? Always felt like a child asking so many questions about the world.
"should i step on this rock"
"should ask that man over there"
"if a bees could talk, what would they say"

and the list goes on. there's nothing wrong about asking for help, but i feel like it's about time i do things myself. find my own questions to answer. do my own research. that's not the entire point of this topic but: is it better for an writer to work alone or to collabrate with people? ask around, see other people's opinions on stuff, and is it for the best?

I think there's the extrovert part where you go out into the world to collect material, and the introverted part where you sit down and write it.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I think there might be a correlation because the process involves lots of alone time, criticism, boring reworks of the same scene until your head explodes, and then often little to no reward at the end - all things that an extrovert might be inclined to struggle more with. There's also a lot of people who start writing because they're spending all this alone time and it can be therapeutic.

I don't think it's something anyone really needs to think about though. Focus on figuring yourself out, more than anything.

(edit)

I say all that, but that's kind of based on the cliche image of the intro/extro model, and the real world has more variety. I remember seeing a thing about the "four types of introverts," for example, and I've seen comments about "I'm extroverted when I .... and introverted when..."

Last edited:

Ruru

Troubadour
I think both are important, but for different reasons. Its important to work alone because that gives you room for your own story, to develop it as seems right to you. I don't know about anyone else, though I suspect its pretty common, but I certainly find that some lines of thought are very fragile, and prone to being warped beyond recognition by others.

At the same time, its important to involve other people as part of your creative process. People outside your own head can be great sounding boards, and most importantly, huge sources of ideas and inspiration.

I've written privately for years now, but the most progress I have ever made has been while in open discussion with other people about my ideas. Finding the right people is essential though.

Probably, in all walks of life, it's better to collaborate than try to go it alone all the time.

As for writing, most discussion relating to this topic leans that same direction. Getting writing groups, finding alpha and beta readers, finding an editor, etc., are stressed as very helpful to a writer. I'll admit I am far more a "go it alone" sort—except that I've spent SO much time at Mythic Scribes these last two years, hah. And I've learned a lot just by conversing. So maybe I'm not entirely go-it-alone, even if I think that at the end of the day, or the beginning of the day, when I'm sitting at my keyboard staring at the screen and writing a draft, I really am alone in those hours.

Alpha betas? I've never heard of those. Could you clarify please?