• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Mark of a good RPG

tecdavid

Acolyte
RPGs are among the most complex genres of video-game out there, what with their vast worlds, intricate systems, varied characters, and sprawling amount of tasks, quests and bonuses. But although it must be fun to craft a vivid world with all sorts of whimsical happenings, there's clearly a certain chemistry to getting the gameplay right. Some RPGs allow many choices and possibilities, but still manage to feel too slow, or empty, whereas others might be fast-paced and action-packed, but lack that all-important sense of freedom.

What do you think an RPG needs to keep you entertained and determined the whole way through?

Telcontar

Staff
Well, I don't just play RPG's - I make them. So I've done a good bit of thinking on the matter. I'll also assume you're talking about true RPG's rather than just the level-system.

That in mind, two of the most important traits to me are a reactive world and a good and well-designed story.

A reactive world is what immersion is all about. You can't get immersed in a game that does respond to what you do - the more it responds, the more immersed you are. The greater the variety of the responses, the more immersed you are. It also helps gives rolls real depth. One of the easiest examples is in the thief - if no one cares that you're stealing from them, playing a thief wouldn't be any fun. It is fun when you know the game can and will punish you for stealing if you get caught.

A good story is obvious, but what about story design? Story in RPG's has to allow room for the player's role. If I choose to play an evil character, and the story is a goody-two-shoes princess rescue, why the hell would my character even be doing that? So the main story in an RPG has to offer incentive for all players regardless of role. Furthermore, it has to over variety of pace. This is my most common problem with most role-playing games - if I'm RP'ing well, then I will feel varying levels of urgency depending on what's going on with my character and his quests. An apocalyptic storyline might be cool, but it leaves me feeling like there is no time to relax and explore the world... cuz I have to save it. I also don't like reserving all my exploring for the end of the game when I'm so powerful there aren't any threats I take seriously.

Thus, a well-designed story should include periods of frantic urgency - when your character should be rushing to complete the next main objective - and periods of relaxation, when you are free to explore, tinker, etc. I usually include periods where the character quite simply has to wait on the actions of another character, and is given some suggestions for how to spend their time. (I should note that I don't have a problem with self-direction. The aimlessness that some people feel in the absence of a set objective has never been a problem for me.)

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
I personally enjoy the well developed characters that can make me identify with them and what they can stand for. Even if it is a poor system of execution, a good character can at least make things tolerable. A well defined villain is better. My first knee jerk reaction is Kefka from Final Fantasy VI.

Then again, I was always good with the odder RPG's out there. I never was one for the larger big budget, this is awesome because we advertise it as such. The first Mass Effect was an example of that, same with Dragon Age. Good RPGs that allowed you to be who you are without ruining what I thought the game was about, revealing character in the midst of tragedy.

. . .And because Dragon Age II was the worst game I ever beat and was the final pushing point to make me retire from playing video games in general. EA is the devil, at least when it comes to BioWare products.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've always been a sucker for the older Final Fantasy games. The newer ones are ok, but tend to lean to much into existentialism for my taste. I like games that are epic in scope usually, have a good, tight story, a colorful cast of characters and easy to figure out battle system.

That's why I have always liked turn based RPGs. I like simplistic systems that can focus on story. But I also love games like Dragon Age, Fallout, and Mass Effect that allow you to customize your character and have more interactive battle systems.

Neurosis

Minstrel
By very definition it is a game that gives you a strong role to play. In addition I think the player must care about what that role is. This is where I feel a lot of modern games are screwing up -- or arguably branching into "action RPG" territory -- where the focus is on the "cool" fantasy (or sci-fi) elements, rather than the role-playing. I believe this is at the heart of people saying statements like: "RPGs used to have better stories". For example try comparing something like Skyrim/Mass Effect/any xbox360 era rpg to Planescape: Torment. Thats the difference. Although thats perhaps not a fair comparison, since there is really no RPG that can be compared to Planescape: Torment -- being basically the "War and Peace" of RPG gaming when it comes to story, barring of course Balders Gate. Which indeed may be a better comparison since its less wacky and easier to compare to something like Dragon Age or Oblivion in terms of setting and milieu.

My point is: its about what the games FOCUS on. To be a good RPG you need to focus on the ROLE PLAYING. Not the cool world with dragons and HDR + Bloom post processing. Not the cool guns, or spells and swords, or (very arguable) the "epic" story. Its about getting a connection between the player and their character, and thus the player and the game world. Once you have this it allows the player to REALLY enjoy the aforementioned elements. This is perhaps why I consider Skyrim to be better than many of its contemporaries, and games like Balders Gate, Planescape: Torment, Morrowind (had much stronger role playing elements than either Skyrim or Oblivion) and some of the SpiderWeb Software games to be the best RPGs released.

Last edited:

morfiction

Troubadour
Wow! Depends on what kinda RPG you mean. Japanese RPGs seem mostly story-driven. The characters are already picked who you will control throughout your journey.

I've noticed that American RPGs put a great deal of emphasis on picking out stats and picking your name for character and all kinds of character creation doohickeys. It seems harder to get into a game like Morrowind or Oblivion for me. I barely even started each game and thought I was being judged for some reason.

Well, I don't just play RPG's - I make them. So I've done a good bit of thinking on the matter.

Oh wow! What games have you helped make?

Xanados

Maester
Wow! Depends on what kinda RPG you mean. Japanese RPGs seem mostly story-driven. The characters are already picked who you will control throughout your journey.

I've noticed that American RPGs put a great deal of emphasis on picking out stats and picking your name for character and all kinds of character creation doohickeys. It seems harder to get into a game like Morrowind or Oblivion for me. I barely even started each game and thought I was being judged for some reason.

Oh wow! What games have you helped make?
The term is "western", not "American". ;)

I would agree with you though. There is no doubt that western RPGs are focused on stat-building. They also tend to be set in a northern-European setting because, after all, the western world spawned fantasy.

It's fun to compare the aesthetic of an eastern RPG to a western one.

Last edited:
For me its got to have the following:

Good story, its got to hook me and may me care about the characters and what I am doing makes a difference. One of the reasons I finished Diablo 2 and the expansion was I cared less about the game but I wanted to know the ending to the story. Mass Effect is a good example of excellent storytelling. Mass Effect 2 had me wondering if I did something wrong in the beginning (something major happens I wouldn't spoil things)

Accessible system - If it takes me 20 minutes to figure out how to move (they was a PS2 game that was that bad) basically if I can move, fight, inventory and do skills without really looking at the instruction manual then its a good thing

Understanding the depth of the system - basically I would like to have the ability to plan ahead if the RPG is using a skill system like Final Fantasy X you could plan ahead and fiqure out what did you want to do with the character.

Lastly a personal option, I prefer party combat opposed to single combat - In my mind it makes more sense to have people helping you instead of a lone solider