• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The name of the Anfylk race

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Ahoy all,

I need some input regarding a word I've created.
In my WIP I've made up a name for a race and I call the race Anfylk. The word's meant to mean Anna's Folk (Anna is the goddess who created the race).
In my writing I'm often referring to a single member of the race as a fylk - especially if it's just an unspecified individual, and a group of members of the race as fylkin. On a few occasions I've also referred to a specific single individual as a fylkin ("that fylkin"). As you see the "An" part falls away when used about members of the race.

At some point I've also used the word Anfylkin to refer to unspecified members of the race in general (sort of like you'd use the word humankind about humans).

Originally, when I made up the word I'd figured I'd just wing it and use a form of it that I felt fitted the situation, but more and more as I write I'm starting to feel that this approach isn't working out as well as I had hoped.

In short, I need to formalize the usage of the word and I need pointers/suggestions about how to do it.
Does anyone here have a good link on what to keep in mind when making up words or is anyone able and willing to share some knowledge and shine some light on the matter? Any help would be much appreciated.

Summary:
Anfylk - the race
fylk - a member of the anfylk race
fylkin - a group of members of the anfylk race (or a specific member of the race)
anfylkin - fylkin in general

For me, the most confusing part would be the switch between uppercase and lowercase--I think you should probably lowercase all of them. I'd also be a bit confused by the use of "fylkin" for the singular, as "fylk" seems to already cover that. Lastly, I think you can get away with completely removing "anfylkin." That would leave:

fylk-one member of the race
fylkin-a group of fylk
anfylk-the species to which fylk belong

(If you really want to simplify, you can completely cut "fylkin" and use "anfylk" for all groups of fylk, but I don't think that's necessary.)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Thanks.

You're totally right about the capitalization. I can't say why I did it one way or another when writing the original post. You're probably right about not using fylkin for a specified individual too.

It doesn't seem so complicated now. :)

Ayaka Di'rutia

Troubadour
Summary:
Anfylk - the race
fylk - a member of the anfylk race
fylkin - a group of members of the anfylk race (or a specific member of the race)
anfylkin - fylkin in general

I would suggest using fylkin for just a group of members, and not to refer to a specific member of the race, as that can by used by fylk.

I would also suggest using just Anfylk for the race and for fylkin in general, and not use anfylkin at all.

So:
Fylk - a single member of the race.
Fylkin - a group of fylk.
Anfylk - the fylk race.