• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Story-in-a-Sentence

Phietadix

Auror
Their goal is to survive. There is difinitly tension in the group, Between Jaylen and Matthew for instance, Jaylen would never think of cheating or stealing but Matthew does it often.

MadMadys

Troubadour
Story that just came to me: Boy falls for cute, bubbly and affectionate girl who may or may not be a genocidal, warmongering dictator.

I mocked up the entire book just starting with two ideas: 1, there are never any cute girls on trial for war crimes and 2, who says the bad guy/girl can't win? Plays out like bit of a psychological thriller but ends, well, that's the payoff so why spoil it.

MadMadys

Troubadour
That girl reminds me completely of a young Dolores Umbridge. There's a fanfic in there somewhere. XDDD

Had to google that as I've never read any Harry Potter.

No, I was thinking less, cutesy cruel and closer to, well, Pol Pot. Perhaps that sounds a bit overly harsh but the story is about what we see on the outside versus what goes on inside a person.

Laurence

Inkling
“The disjointed Yeu family learn that they're linked to an ancient life force and travel to its source to discover that they're not welcome to it.”

Does this make you curious or would you say it’s too vague? I’m a fan of keeping things as edited down as possible.

I personally love building stories off of one sentence no matter how vague and unconvincing that sentence may seem. For example, I've built many stories off the sentence "Time passes, and feelings change". It's a favorite of mine for some good ol' angsty love story within a fantasy world.

Malik

Auror
Twitter pitches are great for drilling down to the basics of your story.

I used this for #SFFPit last week: A stuntman-turned-knight gambles the future of a fantasy world in a showdown of profane magic vs. modern steel.

TheKillerBs

Maester
Had to google that as I've never read any Harry Potter.

No, I was thinking less, cutesy cruel and closer to, well, Pol Pot. Perhaps that sounds a bit overly harsh but the story is about what we see on the outside versus what goes on inside a person.
Umbridge wasn't that far removed from Pol Pot tbh.

"Sentenced to certain death in a notorious prison, a teenage criminal is given a second chance when she is kidnapped into a subversive underground to be trained as an assassin, but soon learns that her new family's mysterious leader has hidden motives and deadly intentions."

Too long?

Elvin Cross

Dreamer
*surgically connecting oxygen tank to lung*The young elven lass gets lost in a forest as she was chased by hyuman hunters plotting to take and sell her as a slave,and as she was about to be captured,a black knight appeared with his/her back facing her,as the black knight raised his/her staff towards one of the men,three loud cracks of thunder rippled in the forest,and all three men in front of them dropped to ground,as Yara dropped to her bum and looked at the black knight terrified,he/she took her hand forcefully and before realizing it,arrived at a metal fortress in the middle of a clearing and wandering around it were metal beast never seen before,or ever mentioned in the books read and as she was fascinated by such scenery, the knight brought her inside the fortress through a rising iron gate,and as they walked deeper into the fort,the gate shut and Yara was reported as missing for a decade in her hometown and already presumed dead,before returning with knowledge unknown to elders,and achieved great feats of magic,and later became a hero who fended the rising empires army at multiple fronts as the alliance barely stands toe to toe with the largest empire,and after many of years of glorious achievements, she travels around the world and learn the secrets and mysteries of the world, and eventually became immortal and perpetually witness the events of the world.
*turns on vacuum cleaner*

Btw there will be side stories centered on the side characters with their pov,each telling also there own story.

Edit:I think I got lazier after thinking how long the summary would be if I continued it the same as the first half...