• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Thinking of themes.

V

Voldermort

Sounds like Scientology to me, not something I want to push in my stories. I also disagree with your other points.

In some of the stories I like, the theme is that there is no real freedom to be had. We are bound by our choices and the choices of others. If you look hard enough at any story, you can find any theme you want. People have been doing it for hundreds of years with the Bible, interpreting it to suit whatever agenda they want. It doesn't surprise me to see it done with LOTR as well.

You obviously haven't sat through a literature class. Any literature teacher worth their salt will tell you that there is exactly only one theme.

Again, you're missing the point:

"We are bound by our choices and the choices of others" is the monster that you're trying to free yourself from.

"If you look hard enough at any story, you can find any theme you want" ; the monster has infinite forms, in other words, fear and limitations come in many forms.

You're quite one-dimensional aren't you.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
At some point in life, people move beyond the narrow confines of something they heard in a 'class.' You gotta love the circular reasoning...any good teacher will confirm my viewpoint, ergo any that don't are not good. Sheesh.

Voldermort said:
You obviously haven't sat through a literature class. Any literature teacher worth their salt will tell you that there is exactly only one theme.

Again, you're missing the point:

"We are bound by our choices and the choices of others" is the monster that you're trying to free yourself from.

"If you look hard enough at any story, you can find any theme you want" ; the monster has infinite forms, in other words, fear and limitations come in many forms.

You're quite one-dimensional aren't you.

I see that you have appealed to a fallacious argumentum ad verecundiam and argumentum ad hominem. Since you have resorted to logical fallacy, I can only assume that you have no effective argument to bring to the table.

Xanados

Maester
Whether or not you disagree with them, there's no need for name-calling.
I think Lord Voldermort just didn't like the fact that someone disagreed with him. I actually also agree with Merideth's post...

Edit: "I see that you have appealed to a fallacious argumentum ad verecundiam and argumentum ad hominem. "
Made me smile.
/Applause

At some point in life, people move beyond the narrow confines of something they heard in a 'class.' You gotta love the circular reasoning...any good teacher will confirm my viewpoint, ergo any that don't are not good. Sheesh.

No True Scotsman, I forgot about that fallacious argument, thanks for reminding me Steerpike.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
No True Scotsman, I forgot about that fallacious argument, thanks for reminding me Steerpike.

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous. There are other themes, and even if you could try to use semantics to say they are one thing (which becomes quite strained at some ) it isn't really telling you as much about a theme. It's sort of like saying there is one flavor of ice cream - cream flavored. Ok, that tells me an ingredient but tells me nothing about flavors. And in this case I'm not convinced we are dealing with a common ingredient.

But you do have to appreciate the irony of the person insisting on a singular theme calling you one-dimensional :)

Last edited:

Telcontar

Staff
Gotta love the No True Scotsman rule. It's one of my favorite fallacies.

Yes, I have other favorite fallacies.

Also, the
I see that you have appealed to a fallacious argumentum ad verecundiam and argumentum ad hominem.

line made me think of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.

However, I'm sure that with a bit of work (and perhaps some rhetorical tricks) Voldermort could make anything fit his definition of a theme. Theme is all interpretation, and all art is subjective.

I have a close friend who, throughout high school and college, made very single poem he read/wrote/analyzed be about suicide. Every one. You ever seen a man explain how Shel Silverstein did nothing but write about suicide? It's rather impressive, actually. Of course, many of his interpretations seemed cheap and convoluted, but that doesn't mean they are invalid. He gets to believe whatever the hell he wants about art, just as we all do - though I personally try and follow a sort of Occam's Razor when interpreting things.

Last edited:

Ravana

Istar

Hmm. Looks like you're on a roll today: not only did you insult sashamerideth, you've insulted me, too. Because I'd never tell my students that.