• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Three Things Thread

Argentum

Troubadour
I don't know if you guys would go for this sort of thing, but I thought, why not give it a try? Get to talk about your day or what you're thinking without having to start a new thread for it and you can get to know other members while at it. Just in case you've never heard/seen one of these (probably have already), you post three things about what you're thinking or what happened during your day. I'll start.

When I was 12 and started to read like crazy, I took my yearly test and had a post-highschool vocabulary. I used to borrow HUGE stacks of library books EVERY week and whenever I came across a word I didn't know, added it to the back of the book slip. I would have every inch of that slip covered in big, lovely words I wanted to remember forever.... I used to use the dictionary and thesaurus hourly. What happened? D:

3rd thing: I'm now a Journeyman!

Kelise

Maester
Yay, congrats on becoming a journeyman!

Am I insane, or did you only post two things?

1. I was kinda born deaf. At a year or two they discovered it was only some kind of liquid and a quick operation later had me perfectly normal, but way behind normal speech. So I got to do extra drama/theatre lessons after school. I struggled a bit with spelling because I had a slight lisp when excited (ie. all the time) so I couldn't really hear how a word should be pronounced.
Thanks to reading at all times, I taught myself how to spell. Because of my love for theatre I was always cast in main roles throughout my teens and very nearly got sent to the biggest name theatre school in Australia (NIDA) ...but I chickened out at the last moment because that whole industry is so nasty and there simply isn't a big-enough stage industry here (it's all movies or musicals or horrid tv shows). So yes, that's it. You can't tell at all now, and really couldn't from age eight or so.

2. I met my partner over the internet, through (what became to be) the biggest Sherlock (BBC) rp accounts on twitter. I simply signed up to be John and spoke to the Sherlock account I saw had been made. A month later we were talking on msn. A few months later I happened to be in the UK and we met. Currently he's about to move here in a year, and we have nearly 9,000 people following us on twitter as we inanely babble back and forth. Really, I can't believe how it's all happened. You hear about online relationships and wonder how it could possibly work... and yet he's the closest I've ever felt to someone despite being a world away. There's just that simple knowledge that it's 'right', and it's both the scariest and yet most fantastic thing in the world. To account for how it works, really, we're both too weird for normal society anyhow.

3. I won the cameo in Scott Lynch's book series (the only one there'll ever be), 'The Gentleman Bastard Sequence'. I get to be a character who doesn't die in the 4th book, and currently get to talk to the author about what happens, who I get to be, what I get to be called and what I look like. And he's such a lovely person. To say it's incredibly exciting is a bit of an understatement, as these books are by far my favourite beyond anything I've ever read in my lifetime... which is a lot of books. Guh!

Starconstant...how cool! A cameo in that series is pretty freaking cool. Congrats.

1. Right now I'm a business consultant. It's ok. I miss my favorite job ever from years and years ago...summer camp counselor. I was the martial arts instructor at a camp that hosted 150 counselors from 30 different countries. Best summers ever. I even got to be an extra in a summer camp movie that was filmed there one year...hung out with the likes of Janine Garafalo, David Hyde Pierce, and Paul Rudd.

2. My favorite non-fantasy author is Paulo Coelho...for oh so many reasons. Need recommendations for his books, just ask.

3. I'm a dog guy, although there is a pissy cat that lives in my house too; I see him once in a while. With two big dogs, I'm considering a third. I want to get a dog like the ones that play the direwolves in the Game of Throne HBO series. I'll keep you all updated if I do.

Last edited:
1. Cannot wait to get out of Alaska.

2. Cannot wait to get home.

3. I seem to be focused on only one thing lately... Getting out of Alaska and back home.

Argentum

Troubadour
Been a while since I had to run on less than five hours of sleep. Should be working to set up a decent time to go to bed, but when I get off work at 9pm, it's practically bedtime all ready. Who wants to go to bed right after work? D: I'm still young! Too young to have early bedtimes!

For years I worked on creating my world and the stories and characters in it. Recently, I set it aside and tried to come up with different stories entirely unrelated. I couldn't really, perhaps I didn't know how. The paper was finally blank and open and I couldn't think of anything to create. Until I read some threads here. I created a whole new race all my own.

Once again I can taste that insatiable need to create new things. Anything, everything, so long as it's new, better if it was never created before.

rjklee

Dreamer
1. Ive worked in retail for 7 years and am constantly surrounded by people who act like it is the worst job in the world. I kinda like it though

2. I'm a sports fantatic. But despise soccer and hockey. Im from the Detroit area and may be the only non Red-Wings fan in the state.

3. This is the first forum I've actually felt comfortable enough to post something like this in.

Argentum

Troubadour
So far, this forum is amazing. When the other members post, you can see they really think. Intelligent individuals with well-formed answers. I could really just sit and listen to these Mythic Scribes talk and discuss storytelling. That's what made me want to join.

The heat and humidity is awful. Give me autumn! Give me snow!

I thought I finally, finally trained myself to spell "cheif" and "theif" correctly ... I was wrong.

1 - This post makes me a MYSTAGOGUE. I have no idea what this is, but how cool! I am now Mystagogue Map I.

2 - I just finally watched the Game of Thrones series on HBO and loved it...absolutely one of the best fantasy film endeavors I've ever seen. And how just for George RR Martin. I am reading the book now and dialogue is damn near verbatim, while the film is about 90-95% loyal to the text in terms of other issues. For his first novel in the series (800ish pages), he got ten hours of film. Each LOTR books got about 4 hours and had to cut a lot. If HBO keeps going, this will be the most dedicated and honorable fantasy film project ever.

3 - I am at work, but with no work to do...waiting on a file from someone else right now, so I'm going to go read the rest of Game of Thrones, or at least read until the file arrives.

Argentum

Troubadour
Earlier this year, I felt compelled to take a break from writing entirely. I've been itching to write, but I've had some problems knowing where this was all going. For the first time in a long time, I am able to create things entirely unrelated to my other world. The paper is blank and I can finally, finally, use it to my full advantage.

Going to take a 1.5 hour subway trip (one way) just to get near a bookstore that sells English books. Thank God they have an used book section. I plan to raid the store, even if I have to carry home 50 pounds in books!

Too humid here. Stayed indoors as much as I could. It's awful here....

Leuco

Troubadour
1. Jealous that Map the Dragon reads fantasy books at work.
2. Bummed about going back to work at the end of the month.
3. Bummed that I'm even thinking about going back to work!

D'oh!

Last edited:

rjklee

Dreamer
1. I really don't think I like video games as much as I used to. I'm alright with it though on some level.

2. Having problems with your car is an extremely awful thing to deal with.

3. I love the fact that I may be in the final one percent of United States citizens who have never seen Avatar.

1. I love Johnny Depp's portrayal of The Mad Hatter. I have decided that is what I am going to be for Halloween. I need to find somewhere to get contacts that look right. I can probably find them online. Ill probably end up making most of the costume from scratch. That will not be too hard... except the hat. You just do not see trapezoid shaped hats any more (trapezium shaped for my friends in the UK).

2. I saw The Last Airbender last night for the first time. I was impressed. Of course it was a lot of special effects, and that is what I was expecting. There is, however, alot of epic fantasy-driven plot in the mix. I think I will find the comics on which the move was based. Cannot wait for the next move to come out.

3. Why do I have to post three things on this thread? What if I only want to post two? Well, If I did that, I guess the thread would have to be titled Two To Three Things... That is not a bad title, but Three Things is pretty good too.

Argentum

Troubadour
The Last Airbender was based off the Nickolodean cartoons and it was absolutely brilliant. I have to confess that the movie was nowhere near as brilliant as the cartoons, but after watching a couple times, the movie grew on me.

Yesterday I took a long subway ride just to get to the only book store that sold a decent amount of english books. I spent over $60 on used books. Tried out Terry Pratchett.... he's hilarious! Bought 3 of those for me, 2 thesauruses (couldn't resist), a few odd books, and a large selection of Agatha Christie's Poirot books for myself, but mostly for my sister.

Went on an all day outing with my sister and her friend. $20 got me a 3-hour bus ride, a hike up a mountain to a wonderful waterfall, a trip to the ocean, a visit to the fish market, a journey into a cave (my first time in a cave!), as well as the ride back home. $20 well spent.

*sneaks in a 4th thing* Joe, that's an awesome costume idea. I, myself, have to choose between Sora (from the videogame Kingdom Hearts), Hiccup (from How to Train your Dragon), and a few other costume ideas. Do you perhaps cosplay?

Last edited:

Leuco

Troubadour
1. I really don't think I like video games as much as I used to. I'm alright with it though on some level.

2. Having problems with your car is an extremely awful thing to deal with.

3. I love the fact that I may be in the final one percent of United States citizens who have never seen Avatar.

I think these may be three telling signs that you're officially an adult. :)

Now to the Airbender conversation!

I liked the movie too, but I was a bit disappointed with the casting, fighting scenes, and dialogue. I think it had some really good, original source material. I really enjoyed watching an action movie with Buddhist themes. It wasn't just Star Wars rehash like other fantasy films I'd rather not discuss. I think it could have been a lot better, though. I doubt there will be a sequel, but I'd definitely watch it if they made one.

Argentum

Troubadour
HAHA "Starwars rehash". Leuco, I think I like you very much. If you have a particular movie in mind with that phrase, I must say that same movie sits very honorably at the top of my list of movies I consider the worst in the history of movie-making. Me, my family, and friends make fun of it as a favored pastime. It's the butt of all jokes.

Whilst reading books (using paper as my bookmark), I start writing down words I don't know, want to remember, used to know and now don't really, or want to look up for a clearer definition. So far I have: sculling, encompass, carapace, pillion, prentice, trite, expurgated, calcareous, filigree, intone, lamentable, perspicacious, oscillated, virulent, conciliatory. I love words.

Humid outside every day, awful weather.... muggy and humid and sticky.... and somehow I ended up with a cold.....

1. Argentum, I do the same thing whilst reading my books, anything to increase my writing tools. I aspire to claim a vocabulary such as that of Pat Conroy, but I fear this is an unattainable goal.

2. This is a really enjoyable thread. I love having multiple conversations at the same time. It appeases my short attention span.

3. Today marks one week until I step on a plane to GTFO of Alaska!!!

Kelise

Maester
1. Being a fan of the original animated series, I utterly disliked the Airbender movie. They pronounced the character names wrong, for crying out loud.

2. Had my arms waxed for the first time a few days ago. When I was a kid, my cousin shaved them in my sleep so they've always looked horrible (to me at least, apparently no one else noticed, grr). It was kinda fascinating how much your body reacts - it was akin to suffering burns. I had no idea it put that much stress on your body.

3. In Australia the biggest writing awards for horror, fantasy and science fiction are known as the Aurealis Awards. And this year I get to be a judge. WOO!

Argentum

Troubadour
Well congrats, Starconstant! That's awesome!

Working on getting my Tesol certificate for teaching english as a second language. Kinda wish I hadn't signed up. Not wanting to do it, but still, it will help me with my job and improve that resume.

Looking into mini laptops. Excited to get one before Nanowrimo comes around, so I can take it everywhere with me.

Leuco

Troubadour
Today marks one week until I step on a plane to GTFO of Alaska!!!

HAHA Not feeling any Northern Exposure, Dr. Fleishman?

2. Ouch to starconstant. No giggling there, I'm sure! Congrats on being a judge btw! Sounds huge!

3. "Kinda wish I hadn't signed up."

That's the story of my life!

Argentum

Troubadour
Lol, well what do you do when you paid $375 for it? Part of me wants them to keep the money in exchange for me not doing it, but bah. Should help in the longrun.

I got four hours before I have to take off for work. Now to cram as much as I can into this time.

Debating signing up for either Tae Kwon Do or dancing lessons of some sort.