• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Three Things Thread

Leuco

Troubadour
Went to the free taekwondo class and (after debating this for months and forgetting about it) finally registered for a month to see how it goes.

It was the Ninja movie clip, wasn't it? I knew watching Michael Dudikoff slay a bunch of ninjas would be inspirational!

Speaking of netbooks and Nanos, I've been considering buying an ipad. I think I got addicted to Angry Birds. It's a lot of fun, but I'm really cheap, so I probably won't get one. Oh well.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful day! I took a nap in front of the TV today. Not as cool, but I like naps! Especially after a day of training...

By the way, I added something to the showcase. Feel free to check it out! :D

Aegle

Minstrel
1. Pondering if it's too late to still pursue my Samurai aspirations.
2. Awaiting Goodkind's Omen Machine that I preordered forever ago.
3. Nostalgically disappointed at the lack of words-y/poetic roleplay nowadays. :/

Argentum

Troubadour
Leuco, yes yes it was the movie clip. Can't beat coolness like that. And naps are awesome. I used to stay up all night for college classes and nothing was more fun than sleeping when it was already morning. Naps on top of the blankets by open windows in fall in the afternoon are awesome.

Definitely feeling sore today. It's a nice feeling. I'll probably do some stretching.

What to do. Three hours before work, so much to do. Probably having cheese ramen for lunch and not that instant cupnoodle stuff.

myrddin173

Maester
1 - actually comparatively its incredibly cheap, less than 2,000. The college I planning on transferring to in my second/third year is between 30-40,000.

2 - the college I want to transfer to has a shovel museum on the grounds.

3 - the class I'm looking forward to the most is my Intro to Anthropology class.

bonus - I still haven't found the spider :(

Leuco

Troubadour
1 - actually comparatively its incredibly cheap, less than 2,000. The college I planning on transferring to in my second/third year is between 30-40,000.

2 - the college I want to transfer to has a shovel museum on the grounds.

3 - the class I'm looking forward to the most is my Intro to Anthropology class.

bonus - I still haven't found the spider :(

1. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but what I meant was that going to school today is a lot more expensive than it used to be. It's a shame that young folks have to spend so much money on school. It's rough. I'm glad you're saving money though! You sound very responsible!

Anthropolgy sounds like fun. Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of taking such a class. I've read a lot of Joseph Campbell though.

What's a shovel museum? Is that a museum about the tool? Really?!

2. And sweet Jeebus, what the heck is cheese ramen?! Is that a real dish? Is that popular in Korea? Or is that something you invented to replace mac and cheese?

3. Man, this really is the most interesting thread!

Bonus: It's never too late to start on the path of becoming a true Samurai!
First step: Rainbow roll.
With ginger.

Argentum

Troubadour
Cheese ramen is just like normal ramen, only the broth is a bit different. After you make it, there is this cheese packet with cheese powder in it that you add. You can't actually add your own cheese. It doesn't taste the same. It's not that spectacular either, but pretty good.

This is a pretty darn good thread. You never know what someone is going to post as their three things.

I hope you find that spider, Myrddin....... it wasn't a big spider, was it?

Argentum

Troubadour
I'm in Korea, I don't get american advertisements on tv or the internet. And no, no, no. Ramen is pretty darn salty. It's good once in a while, especially if you spruce it up with loads of veggies and whatnot, but no, too salty to have for every meal. I'd like a bit more veg and fruit in me diet.

During the summer, my workplace opens earlier because here they stuff their kids into schools on summer break. We've had a lot of kids this past month and tomorrow's the last day (Saturday). I am incredibly grateful that most of them will start going back to school, because I've just about had enough of kids. I have no right to complain, my job is good, but I think perhaps the number of kids coming each day is what makes me want to go home two hours into my shift. At least my coworkers are excited. We're going to celebrate with a dinner out after work tomorrow. Not sure where though, everything fun is booked.

During the few months I've been on my writing break, I've amassed a literal mountain of notes for my book. I've sifted through them practically daily and either need to start writing again, or get more folders until I do. Anyone else tend to do that too? Sifting through these notes and organizing them is pretty darn fun.

Bonus: Aegle, tis called the Three things thread, post three things! ^^ We get more to look at this way and one thing is just cheating.

1. Sorry I got behind here. I'm back in California now, been catching up with the family. I have a lot to read on the forum. Sheesh!

2. Just found out I will be going to Arizona for a week in September. Never been there before. Hopefully it will cool down by then.

3. Watched Kick Ass last night... Really do not know what to say.

Aegle

Minstrel
Eeek. ...but I -did- write three things. Do I supposed to continue three things with every single post? ;[

Dear heav'uns, I've actually had roommates in college who ate BOLOGNA in Ramen. The Ramen noodles you can actually stock and live on for years, although you'll sweat grease. HAH It's taken years of fine Sushi and other delicacies to erase the memory. :(

1. Waiting for my work day to expire, so I can hop home and take a much needed nap -- then contact my gamey buddies for some late night quests/events! :D
2. Someone STOLE the peanut butter jar from my desk. Yes, now I have no lunch! These pea-pole have no souls.... no souls. >:O
3. Wonderin' what fresh veggies my pops is bringing me from the garden this weekend!

Last edited:
1. New Conan movie tonight.
2. Coca-Cola Zeroe does not taste as good as Diet. Both are probably bad for me.
3. I'm hungry and would love some Pho. If you don't know what Pho is (pronounced 'Fuh'), go get some for dinner tonight. It is the best cure for a cold, a hangover, or even a broken arm...I think. I have none of the three right, now...but it is also filling and thus a good fit tonight.

Decision: I am going to go have some Pho coupled with a Diet Coke, maybe get a Boba for the road, then head over to the theatre for Conan in 3D.

myrddin173

Maester
1 - yes it is a museum of the tool. The family whose estate the school is on supplied most of the shovels for the railroad, they are also the ones that created the ergonomic bend in shovels. When they donated the land/estate they left all of the shovels and each year the senior class president goes into the basement and picks the shovel that best represents the class.

2 - The spider is less than an inch across but since I'm arachnophobic that is way to big!

3 - I just got back from a concert where I heard my friend's Ska band. I had a lot of fun and I got to chat with the best high school librarian in the world!

Kelise

Maester
1. The world is so noisy these days. Everywhere is leaf-blowers and filters and engines and gah. Though I guess this is only annoying to some people. I have a thing called Misophonia. For most of my life I thought I was just being difficult, but it's an actual thing that's literally “hatred of sound” - where suffers are most commonly annoyed, or even enraged, by the sound of other people eating, breathing, coughing, or other ordinary sounds.
I'm not annoyed or enraged, it just makes me feel 'unable to cope', mostly with electronic sounds or continuous. Or random. So. Yeah. Mostly when I'm really ill. I can't take dogs barking, the sound of people walking, coughing, tapping. When I'm ill it's like I have a migraine - I need a dark utterly silent room to lie in. Because I'm so difficult.
Anyway, next door are using a leaf blower and I just want to... you know how people have taken a drill to their heads? Yes, that.

2. Urban Decay - a makeup... thing *isn't girly and doesn't quite understand* have this awesome pack called 'Urban Bride', which comes with really lovely lipgloss and edible marshmallow flavoured body dust. I'm starting to see why makeup is so awesome to people.

3. Mayfaire Moon - Costumes and Corsets have a TARDIS corset that has lights and noises and opens up. And it's $890.

Argentum

Troubadour
Hmmm Misophonia sounds interesting. When you're with friends at a restaurant, the sound of eating is no problem, but I do hate the sound of people eating otherwise. That is one of the noises that drives me crazy. People who shout to advertise the meat on sale at the grocery store, the people laying on the car horns. Kids being noisy, teenagers being noisy. Groups of friends having a good time. Noise... yes, it all did get to me a few months ago and I did start planning to spend an entire year at a cabin in Colorado to have some solitude and silence for once. Then again, it's so noisy here, you don't have to focus on hearing the one thing that drives you crazy, because everything else is trying to drown out the noise.

Absolutely ecstatic that my blue pen is slowly, but surely, dieing as I waste the ink on a mountain of notes and possible story plots! Buahaha! And I have another pen all lined up for a slow execution. Depending on how inspired I am, I think the pen shall die tomorrow.

List of possible netbooks to buy has shrank to about five. Won't be able to buy it for a while, since I have to have my money converted to USD and then wired to America... But the time spent eliminating netbooks and plotting is very fun too.

4th thing: NO SOULS! Peanut butter is awesome! Aegle, you only eat peanut butter for lunch??? It's not quite that awesome.

Last edited:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
1. Beating Mass Effect 2 for the third time was enjoyable yet oddly depressing.

2. Sometimes I wish I had a giant sword hanging on my wall, so when people visited they would just see this massive sword hanging there. But no one would ever ask about it.

3. If Michelle Bachmann becomes president, I feel like the world will become like a sci-fi novel. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Leuco

Troubadour
1. All this ramen/pho chat is making me hungry! I think we need to start a thread exclusive to soup or a "how do you eat your ramen" thread. I only use half the seasoning packet (because of the high sodium content) and I stir in frozen veggies too! However, I usually only eat ramen once in a blue moon.

2. I used to keep peanut butter in my desk drawer too! I knew fantasy writers were a special sort! I think we have good taste!

3. I like the massive sword idea. It's just as cool as having a moose head, don't you think? It's like, "If he keeps this on the mantle, what does the heck does he keep in the bedroom???" ba-dum dum.

Bonus: I think I'm going to see Conan this week.

myrddin173

Maester
It's just as cool as having a moose head

1 - This reminds me of a field trip in my junior year. My American Studies class went to the Newport Mansions and when we broke for lunch my group went to this nice little restaurant and we sat in the back room. About half way through the meal one of us looked up and realized we were sitting under a huuuge buffalo head. We were covering Western Settlement at the moment so we started freaking out and shouting "Watunka," the name of some bigwig in Native American mythology that they thought took the form of a white buffalo.

2 - I went to my local borders today because of the crazy deals they are having. Picked up this book The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett, a true crime novel about a guy who steals books not for money but because he loves them. Anyways it had the following quote at the beginning, it's an "Anathema in a medieval manuscript from the Monastery of San Pedro in Barcelona"
For him that stealeth, or borroweth and returneth not, this book from its owner... let him be struck with palsy, & all his members blasted... Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the Worm that dieth not, & when at last he goeth to his final punishment, let the flames of Hell consume him forever.
Is it wrong this made me giggle?

3 - So I am a total gleek and the following thing probably won't matter to you if you aren't. I just watched the last episode of The Glee Project and I'm so happy! I wanted him to win from the start because I have been a fan of his through Celtic Thunder for almost five years. And he sang one of my favorite songs, Beyond the Sea! Of course Ryan Murphy almost gave me a heart attack.

Leuco

Troubadour
For him that stealeth, or borroweth and returneth not, this book from its owner... let him be struck with palsy, & all his members blasted... Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the Worm that dieth not, & when at last he goeth to his final punishment, let the flames of Hell consume him forever.
Is it wrong this made me giggle?

1. I think our school librarian tells the kids the same thing. And I think condemning folks to damnation is a bit comical too. :)

2. Going to Downtown Disney with my Nephew today. These kids and their Legos! Why do they have to be so expensive? But don't worry, I'm NOT taking him to see Conan.

3. I finally got some decent feedback on my book. And by decent, I mean scathing. Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still... Cheers to brutal honesty and those who follow through! By the way, if you've read it and found something annoying, please let me know (privately, of course!). Nice comments welcome too!

Bonus: I just had some coffee! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Have an awesome day!

Argentum

Troubadour
Officially had my first Taekwondo lesson. OH how horribly unfit I am! I am going to feel the pain tomorrow for sure.

FINALLY the weather is starting to cool down! There was a lot of wind today, still hot, but at least not stuffy. OH I am excited. I even managed to find some decently cool looking hoodies in preparation. Once it hits autumn, I will spend my mornings before work out somewhere peaceful. AH good weather!

Goodness. I'm trying to figure out which order to read Terry Pratchett's books and they're all over the place. Thank goodness someone made a graph. :p

Argentum

Troubadour
So it looks like the thread died, so another post from me!

My blue pen is a few drops of ink away from death. I'm sorta tempted to hurry it along by drawing scibbles, but I think I will hold off on that and use the last of the ink for book notes and use it honorably.

Darn these kiddies at work. They have more energy than I do.